The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Titan Gainz
Opinions on effectiveness of taking BCAAs and Pre Workouts? I currently take soy protein (although Im considering changing to whey) and creatine (although Im not entirely sure if my body is responsive to it, but I'll keep taking it anyways just in case)

I've heard whey protein supplements increase acne, is this true?

Also, I've tried but I don't really like doing deadlifts and I dont feel comfortable doing them (I have tried practicing with correct form but still doesnt feel right at all). Ive been going to gym for about 6 months now and I keep hearing people say its one of the best compound exercises to do alongside squats and benchpress and at this stage i should really be trying to include deadlifts in my routine but I really dont want to do them lol, any advice?

Also a bit of a trivial one but I cant seem to find an after, if say you can squat 110kg on smith machines, is it okay to tell people you can squat 110kg if asked XD

Thats all for now, thanks to anyone bothered and knowledgeable enough to answer my questions :biggrin:

BCAAs aren't useless

However they aren't very cost effective or #1 in terms of progression

Deadlifts aren't necessary

Unless you're planning to compete in powerlifting there isn't a NEED to do any of the "big 3"

Compound lifts are still key

however doing variants can help such as front squats or incline bench if they feel better , do them

Record yourself as a good learning tool And ask more educated people (such as here)

But if the learning curve seems too steep then it's fine to do alternatives

Smith machine is completely different movement so no you can't say they're equivalent
Reply 7921
It's my deadlift day and Tom Martin is benching opposite me. I'm slightly star struck
on my one month of break :biggrin:
Original post by Angry cucumber
BCAAs

Original post by monsterzero
BCAAs

"So, leucine supplementation on its own is better at producing the trigger for maximal MPS, and a complete protein is just better at providing the bricks for muscle growth. A BCAA supplement doesn’t fit anywhere in this picture; it’s worse than only leucine at doing leucine’s job, and it’s worse than a complete protein at its job."

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athlete-protein-intake/

Kinda interesting article.

Gonna buy me some leucine :yy:
Reply 7924
I'm somewhat stalled in my lifting and have been for a while. I repeatedly struggle to have to really sit down and think about my programme and I don't think I know as much as I'd need to to write myself a proper good programme at this point.

Everyone at my gym who is at least as strong as me has someone else write their programme, usually paying for it, though most of them compete. A friend of a friend who is a PT has offered to do my programming for me at a mate's rate of £65 a month, it's normally £80. I could afford it but only for say 3 months, I couldn't justify it endlessly. And it's still a lot of money.

So help me debate with myself. Would you do it? Is it worth it for a few months?
Original post by BKS
I'm somewhat stalled in my lifting and have been for a while. I repeatedly struggle to have to really sit down and think about my programme and I don't think I know as much as I'd need to to write myself a proper good programme at this point.

Everyone at my gym who is at least as strong as me has someone else write their programme, usually paying for it, though most of them compete. A friend of a friend who is a PT has offered to do my programming for me at a mate's rate of £65 a month, it's normally £80. I could afford it but only for say 3 months, I couldn't justify it endlessly. And it's still a lot of money.

So help me debate with myself. Would you do it? Is it worth it for a few months?

No

EDIT, more in depth reply on its way at some point this evening.
Original post by BKS

Your blog doesn't read like things are going terribly, you noted that you were feeling pbs nearing.

What do you want to achieve?

Do you want to go the powerlifting route?

If you want to learn a bit casually about programming, juggernaut training systems on youtube is probably a less costly investment, there seems a lot of info on there, particularly breaking down the principles of CWS' juggernaut method.

Or do you mean pbs beyond the big three (plus maybe press)?
Reply 7927
Original post by Gone Revising II
Your blog doesn't read like things are going terribly, you noted that you were feeling pbs nearing.

What do you want to achieve?

Do you want to go the powerlifting route?

If you want to learn a bit casually about programming, juggernaut training systems on youtube is probably a less costly investment, there seems a lot of info on there, particularly breaking down the principles of CWS' juggernaut method.

Or do you mean pbs beyond the big three (plus maybe press)?

I've pretty much settled on it's not worth it now

My deadlift is going well but it was lagging. My bench is getting back to consistently 100ish, I benched 100 for the first time around 2013. My press isn't much better. I can't do any form of squat at all just now.

I think mostly what I want is more progress. The reality is I know what a programme for most strength gains looks like and I'm not physical able to do it.

I think I'm also a bit bored and need to scrap what I think I should be doing and do what I want to do, whilst going back to a method I came up with for maximising flexibility
Original post by BKS
I've pretty much settled on it's not worth it now

My deadlift is going well but it was lagging. My bench is getting back to consistently 100ish, I benched 100 for the first time around 2013. My press isn't much better. I can't do any form of squat at all just now.

I think mostly what I want is more progress. The reality is I know what a programme for most strength gains looks like and I'm not physical able to do it.

I think I'm also a bit bored and need to scrap what I think I should be doing and do what I want to do, whilst going back to a method I came up with for maximising flexibility

Doing what you want to do sounds a good idea.

What do you weigh?
Reply 7929

What do you weigh?

70kg at 5ft4 so I'm big for TKD (to be competitive in sparing I'd need to be U57) and tiny for strongman but it's probably the right balance for now

What do you weigh?

Original post by BKS
70kg at 5ft4 so I'm big for TKD (to be competitive in sparing I'd need to be U57) and tiny for strongman but it's probably the right balance for now

And for anyone else interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Strawberry-Protein-x/dp/B000QSRO1Y
Original post by SmashConcept
"So, leucine supplementation on its own is better at producing the trigger for maximal MPS, and a complete protein is just better at providing the bricks for muscle growth. A BCAA supplement doesn’t fit anywhere in this picture; it’s worse than only leucine at doing leucine’s job, and it’s worse than a complete protein at its job."

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athlete-protein-intake/

Kinda interesting article.

Gonna buy me some leucine :yy:

A BCAA supplement effectively covers Leucine pretty well though, it just has a bunch of other aminos too. I like the taste of my Scivation which validates it over pure Leucine despite the latter being marginally cheaper. Having said that I don't take my BCAA's with my meal, which appears to be the 'possibly' optimal timing for Leucine consumption.
Original post by Sae.HH
A BCAA supplement effectively covers Leucine pretty well though, it just has a bunch of other aminos too.

Right, except the isoleucine and valine don't do anything except reduce the effectiveness of the leucine.
It just doesn't matter in the grand schemes of things
Right, except the isoleucine and valine don't do anything except reduce the effectiveness of the leucine.

Link to studies? Seems really dumb for any company to product of product with conflicting ingredients like that
Original post by Angry cucumber
It just doesn't matter in the grand schemes of things

Oh yeah that too but the idea of compounding amino acids having an overall lesser effect just seems absolutely bizarre. You're essentially saying Leucine is better than a full profile period. Why even consume protein :colonhash:
Original post by Sae.HH
Link to studies? Seems really dumb for any company to product of product with conflicting ingredients like that

The article I linked literally cites the studies.

And no, I am categorically not saying that leucine is better than protein. I'm saying (or rather the article is, in the passage that YOU quoted) that leucine is the best supplement for raising plasma leucine levels, eating protein is the best way to satisfy your total protein requirements and BCAAs aren't meaningfully useful for anything.

Are you SERIOUSLY surprised that companies market useless supplements? How do you explain CEE?
The article I linked literally cites the studies.

And no, I am categorically not saying that leucine is better than protein. I'm saying (or rather the article is, in the passage that YOU quoted) that leucine is the best supplement for raising plasma leucine levels, eating protein is the best way to satisfy your total protein requirements and BCAAs aren't meaningfully useful for anything.

Are you SERIOUSLY surprised that companies market useless supplements? How do you explain CEE?

Hmmm, read the study, what I could anyway. Leucine groups themselves have a 40% variation between 220% and 260% which isn't THAT significant. I'd like to see how close to that the valine group came but it doesn't mention it.

Having said that, this whole study is based on the premise that you take your Leucine on top of a measly 6.25g of protein so it's *******s.
Reply 7938
What are people's main goals? Im kinda happy with my shape now (currently 86kg at 6'0) but looking to have more dense muscle(lower bf). Not looking to get any bigger now and don't care about numbers.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
What are people's main goals? Im kinda happy with my shape now (currently 86kg at 6'0) but looking to have more dense muscle(lower bf). Not looking to get any bigger now and don't care about numbers.

Natty gains, enough to sustain with minimal effort in later years.

Quick Reply

Latest