The Student Room Group

I can't apply foundation to save my life.

I have very red combination skin. I have splurged on expensive foundations and concealers in the past but can't put them on anyway.

I went to the clinique counter a few weeks back and just told her to make my skin look good. I was really miffed because she admitted there isn't a pale enough foundation that suits my skin tone, but put one on anyway. It looked ok in the dim lights of Boots, so I bought it (£20). Got outside, looked in a mirror and it was awful. I looked caked in it and orange, so I didn't even learn any lessons from her. Never will I go to clinique again.

There is a lancome concealer I use on my chin sometimes but I know I'm not putting it on right. Any tips? I feel I could look a million times better with some good foundation on.

Scroll to see replies

I know what you mean! I tried on some foundation in boots that looked fine in the shop and I didn't really bother looking at the colour properly until I'd been putting it on for a week - I was bright orange too. I'm hoping nobody noticed!
Anyway, I found out the hard way that you shouldn't cake foundation on in an attempt to hide bad blemishes, firstly because it looks really tacky, and secondly because it is pretty much impossible to do if they are really obvious. What I tend to do is simply apply a equal amount of foundation all over my face and then really gently add a tiny bit extra - literally a tiny bit - over the blemish to cover it up a bit better.
The other thing which also works is to go without makeup on your skin for a while as this helps to let things settle down - what's really irritating about spots is if you cover them up, you'll get more of them.
To help with blemishes, the collection concealer is amazing for covering redness! Just pat a tiny amount on to the blemish and it should do the trick. And I don't like using heavy foundation on my skin because it just blocks my pores, try a BB Cream beacause it's lighter, the new Rimmel one has great coverage! :smile:

All these products are awesome for the price. Hope that helps!
Reply 3
What are you currently applying it with? Personally, I do not like using my fingers or the classic foundation brush. I apply mine by 'stippling' it on. (Check out YouTube) because this way you get a very even layer of product across your face and it creates a great finish. You can also stipple concealer on and this will make it look a lot better because if you apply it to a spot with your finger but then just stipple around the outside to blend it, the product will stay where you put it, as opposed to trying to rub it in.

To be honest, I've recently come to realise that the hype around Clinique is pretty unfounded. It's not that great. My friend is very pale and she recently bought a foundation from the Nicola Roberts range. I know, embarrassing, but it looks great!

What kind of coverage are you looking for? That's a good place to start. If you think you are looking cakey then you might want to try something a little more sheer. And if you want to apply less make up you can come at the redness with a green primer like http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Paris-Studio-Secrets-Anti-Redness-Primer_949487/.
If you're super pale, look at foundation from NARS or Illamasqua as they cater for us pale things. Illamasqua especially literally have white foundation, so you're bound to find a match. Try watching some YouTube videos on foundation application and have a play around with it. Depending on what coverage I want, I either use my fingers (for a more natural finish) or the Real Techniques buffing brush for a more full coverage finish.
Reply 5
I'd go back and complain to be honest, I know it's their job to try and get sales for commission but it's very poor representation of the company to tell you that something doesn't suit your skin type/skin colour but continue to push for the sale anyway.

I'm quite pale, with pretty much flawless skin apart from the problem of red patches. The foundations I use are Nars Sheer Glow, which is best worked in with the fingers, as brushes do absolutely nothing for this foundation which provides good coverage, although probably a little heavier than I like.

Another of my favourite foundations is the Mac Face and Body, they do a completely white version of this which you can mix in with a coloured version to make it lighter tone. A little bit of a hassle, but I picked it up from the makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury who does a lot of pale skin celebrities like Jessica Chastain.
Reply 6
I usually find that my foundation 'cakes' when my skin is dry and/or the foundation is too matte. Two things to consider - either getting a more 'runny' foundation (couldn't think of a better word lol) or moisturising before applying the foundation.

Also, use something other than your fingers to apply it. I like to use a brush, but I know sponges are also quite popular.

Can't really help you on where to buy a pale foundation, but next time try applying it in the shop using a tester, make a note of what it was and the shade, and then leave. That way you can see what it's like in a different light, and if you like it then go back and buy it.
Reply 7
Original post by Airfairy
I have very red combination skin. I have splurged on expensive foundations and concealers in the past but can't put them on anyway.

I went to the clinique counter a few weeks back and just told her to make my skin look good. I was really miffed because she admitted there isn't a pale enough foundation that suits my skin tone, but put one on anyway. It looked ok in the dim lights of Boots, so I bought it (£20). Got outside, looked in a mirror and it was awful. I looked caked in it and orange, so I didn't even learn any lessons from her. Never will I go to clinique again.

There is a lancome concealer I use on my chin sometimes but I know I'm not putting it on right. Any tips? I feel I could look a million times better with some good foundation on.

you must find a colour foundation that is the same as your face and neck! you do not want an orange face and a white neck. try starting with a thin foundation rather than a thick one, this way your skin won't be caked!! also try using a brush to apply the foundation. xx
You have to concern with doctor, and after your skin analysis suggest you medicine of redness.
I'm pretty pale, and I used to use Boi-ing concealer by Benefit. Looking back, that was not a good plan because I look ghostly in all the photos from that time, but I was so used to looking orange in every damn concealer and foundation I bought that it didn't occur to me that something might be too light. Want to give the next shade up a go and see how that fares. So yeah, worth a shot if you're pale like moi :biggrin:
Reply 10
Unfortunately most common and cheap brands don't tend to do really pale foundations. I would definitely recommend Illamasqua as someone above suggested.
The best way to find your colour (although slightly awkward to do) is to test it and then walk outside and look at the colour of it there.
As for putting it on I find the best way is to put a bit on my hand, use a blusher or powder brush and lightly stipple and blend it on to my face using minimal amounts on the brush at any time. This can work with concealer as well just use a smaller brush.
Good luck on your search! :smile:
I have pale red skin too - I'm the palest out of all of my friends even with a layer of fake tan on :'(
I would really recommend trying MaxFactor xperience foundation. It is the lightest shade I have ever come across and also has really high coverage my skin literally looks flawless after applying it ^_^

Also I use a foundation brush to apply mine, makes sure that the coverage is even the whole way around :smile: x
Reply 12
Original post by chloeintheskies
I have pale red skin too - I'm the palest out of all of my friends even with a layer of fake tan on :'(
I would really recommend trying MaxFactor xperience foundation. It is the lightest shade I have ever come across and also has really high coverage my skin literally looks flawless after applying it ^_^

Also I use a foundation brush to apply mine, makes sure that the coverage is even the whole way around :smile: x

Thanks for this :smile:

Does it last for a while once you've put it on? Also where do you buy it from?

I didn't realise how hard it was to find pale foundation until I started looking! It doesn't really make much sense because there are quite a lot of pale people so there is a market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for this :smile:

Does it last for a while once you've put it on? Also where do you buy it from?

I didn't realise how hard it was to find pale foundation until I started looking! It doesn't really make much sense because there are quite a lot of pale people so there is a market.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it lasts for a good few hours ^_^ I buy it from boots, but I suppose you can get it from most high street stores like Superdrug etc

Also you can ask one of the people if they can put it on for you similar to clinique (They also put a 'translucent' powder ontop of my face which did make it look quite orange, so I usually leave that off, just to let you know incase you do try it)

And I agree! I really wish there were more to choose from x_x
do you think its worth putting on foundation even if you don't have spots to hide..

my skin just looks dull sometimes so I'm not sure if foundation would make it look better or worse?
A good base, either BB Cream or Primer will help you a lot. Liquid foundation is probably your best bet for covering red areas evenly; Rimmel do a good one. Top off any problem areas with a light concealer and them powder to set/reduce shine.

For application of foundation, I use my fingers as it's what works best for me, that said, you can use brushes for a better coverage, though good ones always seem to be pretty expensive.
You could look on the bright side. There aren't many situations in which your ability to apply foundation would be a matter of life or death.
Reply 17

i really think that the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse really helps. They make pale ones and when it's applied it doesn't feel like you are wearing make up and secondly it blends really well and makes your skin look flawless. I also use it as a concealer and then apply liquid foundation over the top. It hides spots and uneven skin tones easily!
My biggest problem is as soon as i put powder on i get that horrible dry skin and it looks awful.
Reply 19

Is your skin red naturally, as in, you have a reddish tone which you want to change, or is it from sensitivity? If it's the latter, putting more makeup on it will just irritate it even more. Try a PH balancing face wash that will also help level out the combination skin. It's so true that good skin starts from before you put foundation on.

If it's because of your skin tone, try Mac. They apply makeup for you, and the shop assistants are well trained in matching shades to suit every skin colour.

If you need a very pale tone, have you tried Nicola Roberts' (Girls Aloud) makeup range? She designed for paler skintones, so it might be worth a try to avoid mismatched tones?

Quick Reply

Latest