The Student Room Group

Struggling to find a placement? :(

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and this is my first thread.
I'm in need of some advice, and quite desperately :frown:

Last May, I decided I wanted to enrol on an RCVS L3 Course in Veterinary Nursing, and to coincide with it, you need a work placement in an RCVS accredited training practice.

I went around every single vets in my area, handing out my CV and chatting to them about placements, and not one of them would take me on for one reason or another. (Mostly "Sorry, we don't have any vacancies at this time"). Once September came and I realised it was too late as the college year was starting, I found myself a job to get me through until now, when I can start looking again.

I've made a list of every vets in the area again and I've been dropping my CV off to them, but again, as of yet, to no avail.

Does anybody have any advice? :frown:
I'm stressing about it, because it's really what I want to do,
but I just can't seem to have any luck getting a placement, even after revising my CV to the best I can, turning up in smart clothes and being as polite and friendly as I can. Nobody seems to wanna give me the opportunity :frown:

If any of you have any tips/advice for me that would be very much appreciated!
Thanks in advance guys! :cute:

~ Skye xx
Hello there!

Where will you be studying the course? I am at the RVC and we have the College of Animal Welfare who help us find practices to complete our placement at. Even though we have CAW some people on my course could not find practices near their homes and had to move elsewhere (mainly around here in Hertfordshire so they could stay in college accom). Unfortunately many places don't have the time or facilities. Have you tried looking at the RCVS accredited practice list? It is a huge list of all the practices who have qualified personnel to train Veterinary Nurses.

I hope this gives a little bit of info! Good luck,
Victoria xo
Reply 2
Original post by EyesSetToKill
Hello there!

Where will you be studying the course? I am at the RVC and we have the College of Animal Welfare who help us find practices to complete our placement at. Even though we have CAW some people on my course could not find practices near their homes and had to move elsewhere (mainly around here in Hertfordshire so they could stay in college accom). Unfortunately many places don't have the time or facilities. Have you tried looking at the RCVS accredited practice list? It is a huge list of all the practices who have qualified personnel to train Veterinary Nurses.

I hope this gives a little bit of info! Good luck,
Victoria xo

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
I am gonna enrol at either Solihull college, South Staffordshire College or Halesowen College. They're the only 3 colleges in my area who have the veterinary nursing course. It was South Staffs I enrolled at last year.

I was actually looking at the CAW website yesterday for any advice! Unfortunately from what I saw they don't seem to be based anywhere near me! :frown:

Yeah I've been on the RCVS find a vet facility and been around everywhere trying to find a placement but nobody seems to want to take me on! Argh it's so frustrating haha!

I'm thinking maybe if I'm not successful again this year

Thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If I'm not successful again this year I'm gonna think about changing my route into a veterinary career, perhaps university, as I do have A Levels and UCAS points (despite the fact it's not many, hah) but I think I have enough for some Animal Biology courses.*

Stupid phone cut half my message off :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh, don't the colleges find one once you've enrolled?

Have you considered going to university to do Veterinary Nursing? They find placements for you, its really easy. If they can't find you a placement near your home, here you can work at the QMHA :smile:
Reply 5
Unfortunately not, the colleges by me all require the students to find their own placement. I did consider university, I just need to do some research to see where would be best to study! Anywhere in or around the West Midlands should be okay but I preferably need something Birmingham kinda way, as I'm not yet able to move out due to finances and family issues.

Thanks so much for your help so far!
I really am at my wits end right now with this placement thing haha! I'm gonna look into going to uni if come September I still haven't had any luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Skye-Winter
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and this is my first thread.
I'm in need of some advice, and quite desperately :frown:

Last May, I decided I wanted to enrol on an RCVS L3 Course in Veterinary Nursing, and to coincide with it, you need a work placement in an RCVS accredited training practice.

I went around every single vets in my area, handing out my CV and chatting to them about placements, and not one of them would take me on for one reason or another. (Mostly "Sorry, we don't have any vacancies at this time"). Once September came and I realised it was too late as the college year was starting, I found myself a job to get me through until now, when I can start looking again.

I've made a list of every vets in the area again and I've been dropping my CV off to them, but again, as of yet, to no avail.

Does anybody have any advice? :frown:
I'm stressing about it, because it's really what I want to do,
but I just can't seem to have any luck getting a placement, even after revising my CV to the best I can, turning up in smart clothes and being as polite and friendly as I can. Nobody seems to wanna give me the opportunity :frown:

If any of you have any tips/advice for me that would be very much appreciated!
Thanks in advance guys! :cute:

~ Skye xx

Hi,
Did it work out in theend? I'm having the exact same problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending