Driving Lessons - Help Needed Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Ahh! Just been on the BSM website and the lessons are like £20.50.

I am after somewhere to learn in Manchester that offer good prices without compromising quality.

I already hold a full motorcycle license, and wish to do my car license before I'm off to uni. However, I think preferably I would prefer to do a crash course (no not smashing cars!) so that I can do it and start driving as soon as possible.

Does anybody herem know any good places in Manchester? Is it worth going with companies such as BSM or AA, or are they overpriced? Should one go with the private teachers? How much should lessons be? As you can tell, I am completely oblivious to cars? Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
die.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yup back when I learnt I paid £14 a lesson (or £12 if I booked a block of 10). Again one man band instructor not the smelly old AA or BSM

The only thing that appeals about BSM et al is their driving simulator thingies which look quite cool to play on.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I don't know Manchester, but I pay £14 per lesson with a one-car instructor. BSM et al are definitely overpriced. As far as I can tell the only benefit with them is that you can book your lessons whenever you want rather than have to fit into the schedule of someone with only one car. Smaller instructors seem to have a more personal approach in my experience.
Go to a local firm. My lessons cost a tenner each and were very good quality (I passed after a few months, second time around). All driving instructors have to pass the same tests I think, and even with a big company like BSM you might still get someone you just don't get along with. This matters a lot.

Don't get ripped off!

You might also save some money by buying lessons in bulk (I bought mine 10 at a time and saved £1 on each lesson - doesn't sound like much, but you'll have a lot of lessons!).
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know Manchester, but I pay £14 per lesson with a one-car instructor. BSM et al are definitely overpriced. As far as I can tell the only benefit with them is that you can book your lessons whenever you want rather than have to fit into the schedule of someone with only one car. Smaller instructors seem to have a more personal approach in my experience.
New avatar!! RESPECT!
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thanks people for your contributions.

With a one-car instructor, can they do crash courses as well? Do you have to pay up front as well? Say you plan on doing 20 lessons will they want it all up front or is it a pay as you go basis?
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Thanks people for your contributions.

With a one-car instructor, can they do crash courses as well? Do you have to pay up front as well? Say you plan on doing 20 lessons will they want it all up front or is it a pay as you go basis?
I expect it depends on which one you choose. Have a look in the phone book, on yell.com, or on upmystreet.com for your nearest insructors and phone around. There is bound to be at least one that does a payment scheme you're happy with.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.19%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.28%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (89)
19.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.39%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.59%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise