The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Predicting your grade on a module

Is there a calculator anywhere, same as the OU one, where can i enter my own TMA and EMA scores to predict the grade ?.

To get a grade 2, you need 70% give or take. However, lets say you get a 40, 80, 55, 60, 85, im curious as to what grade it would give. I suppose what % weighting each TMA has also might affect it ?.

In a nutshell, i want to know what i need to accumulate or average to get a certain grade. Or how much leeway i have in term of scores before the overall grade drops down or goes up a level.
Reply 1
Most modules have a calculator available when you go to the online TMA submission page - underneath the list of TMA due dates and submit buttons you'll find "Predict your module result using the Assessment Calculator". This isn't available on TM470 as that has non-standard weighting, so possibly not on the other project modules too. However, it's been there for every other module I've done.

Keep in mind that if you're close to a grade boundary the calculator won't bump you up, but the marks/examiners/whatever do have some leeway. I've got a distinction with 85 OCAS and 80 OES before.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I know about the calculator for predicting your current module grade. I was looking to be able to somehow predict a grade from scores i want to enter, rather than scores ive already got for the module.

However looking at the calculator page i think you multiply your score by the % weighting for each TMA and add them all up, then you can see what grade you'll get. Then of course the EMA is combined and an overall grade given.

So i think the top and bottom of it is, it doesn't matter what scores you average, as long as your 5 TMA's (Or however many you do) collectively add up to over whichever grade you're looking to get.
Reply 3
I'm not sure what you're trying to say...that's what that calculator does, predicts a grade from the scores that you enter. Obviously once you've done the TMA, the score you've got will be there and you can't change that (no point as you can't change your actual score), but you can put in estimates for the TMAs you're yet to do and for the exam/EMA.

The averages do matter, as well...your OCAS is an average of the TMA scores (well, maybe not always technically an average depending on the weighting) and both the OCAS and OES need to be over the grade boundary for the grade you want, e.g. both 85+ for a distinction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending