nilani123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am in yr11 and have chosen to do biology, chemistry and maths next year and hope to do biology or natural sciences at uni. My problem lies with my fourth A-level which i would only be taking up to AS level. I've been told it's good to have a contrasting subject here, but I can't decide between Spanish or Religious Studies (the course my school does is quite Theology based with little philosophy/ethics)
Does anyone have any tips?
aysha951
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well what I would advise is to pick a subject that you enjoy.. so which is your favourite and which subject out of spanish or religious studies that you achieve the highest grade in. Hope this helped
Muppet Science
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
General advice is to keep them academic and ones you are good at - which are you better at and which would you enjoy the most?
nilani123
Rep:
?
My mock results differed by 1% for rs and Spanish! But thank you. I think there could come a point where a stop enjoying rs but I will always love Spanish so will go for the language, I think!
mattmattmatt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Further maths or physics would open up your options in a natural sciences degree. I personally wouldn't bother with a 'contrasting' subject.
charlieejobson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would pick Spanish, languages are always looked upon very highly x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muppet Science
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nilani123)
My mock results differed by 1% for rs and Spanish! But thank you. I think there could come a point where a stop enjoying rs but I will always love Spanish so will go for the language, I think!
Spanish looks like the best option then, for you. Languages are regarded quite well and you don't need straight sciences to read science degrees at university, e.g. I did history as my fourth AS and I'm going to Cardiff for Medicine next year (touch wood)
purple-girl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you have no interest in taking physics or maths as part of NatSci then there's not much point taking Physics or Further Maths to AS/A Level. Languages are generally looked upon well and may give you the option to have a year abroad in your course, if you so wish, but then again RS wouldn't be a hinderance. I had a similar problem 6 years ago (eep!), couldn't choose between French and Economics. Went for Econ in the end though ended up regretting it, should've gone for French or even Psychology, but it didn't stop me getting offers.
Lucy_95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am in yr11 and have chosen to do biology, chemistry and maths next year and hope to do biology or natural sciences at uni. My problem lies with my fourth A-level which i would only be taking up to AS level. I've been told it's good to have a contrasting subject here, but I can't decide between Spanish or Religious Studies (the course my school does is quite Theology based with little philosophy/ethics)
Does anyone have any tips?
I'm in yr 12 and do the same as you but with music. I think contrasting is good but a warning with the languages is that your speaking exam will be really close to your exams, my friend found this really stressful and it takes most of your focus, i think. i've looked at natural science courses and they have no preference on what your AS is, but they do like one where you do reasoning/essay things...but it's not black and white! hope this helps, good luck with your GCSEs
nilani123
Rep:
?
re-discovered my thread! went for rs in the end. Chemistry is interesting... but also painful
nilani123
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=nilani123;46895538]re-discovered my thread! went for rs in the end. Chemistry is interesting... but also painful
C0balt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
re-discovered my thread! went for rs in the end. Chemistry is interesting... but also painful
What's the reason why you chose RS over Spanish even thought you were opted towards Spanish at the end of this thread?
nilani123
Rep:
?
I really liked both of them, but I thought as I am not applying for theology it would be good to take rs as the opportunity to do it again with such a good teacher wouldn't come up. However, I could take up a language at uni/ year abroad etc
That was my thinking process! While I do miss Spanish, essay skills are improving and I have heard that science essays reveal themselves at uni!!

Are you doing a levels now?
C0balt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really liked both of them, but I thought as I am not applying for theology it would be good to take rs as the opportunity to do it again with such a good teacher wouldn't come up. However, I could take up a language at uni/ year abroad etc
That was my thinking process! While I do miss Spanish, essay skills are improving and I have heard that science essays reveal themselves at uni!!

Are you doing a levels now?
I see
No, I'm taking IGCSE this year and will be Sixth Form next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads