Free movement within the anglosphere

Watch
Poll: Would you approve of an Anglo centric free movement of labour agreement?
Yes (18)
78.26%
No (4)
17.39%
Don't Know (1)
4.35%
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Greetings.

I have opened this thread to discuss and asses the level of support for free movement of labour within the anglosphere.

The scenario to consider here is that in a hypothetical world we have an opportunity to create a free movement of labour (and trade) zone with the likes of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA if they would permit it. There is no welfare involved (each country can set whatever welfare entitlement they want) but there is unrestricted access.

Lets say this scenario that we are still in the EU but there is no law preventing the UK from doing this and the EU after absorbing Croatia has stabilized so we get say 200k net immigration.

ilickbatteries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Greetings.

I have opened this thread to discuss and asses the level of support for free movement of labour within the anglosphere.

The scenario to consider here is that in a hypothetical world we have an opportunity to create a free movement of labour (and trade) zone with the likes of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA if they would permit it. There is no welfare involved (each country can set whatever welfare entitlement they want) but there is unrestricted access.

Lets say this scenario that we are still in the EU but there is no law preventing the UK from doing this and the EU after absorbing Croatia has stabilized so we get say 200k net immigration.
I'd quite like that.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There was a belief by Churchill if I remember correctly about the common bond between the English Speaking peoples of the world. There's a common culture, language, religious beliefs, economic beliefs and poltical beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglosphere
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Histo...eaking_Peoples
Aloft085
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think this is a fantastic idea. I actually stumbled upon this forum from the United States, looking to see if anyone had thought of it before. I may start lobbying my congressmen. We should try to get this to catch on.

Here is my proposal: Unlimited movement of people and labor between nations of the anglosphere (US, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand). Net migration could be limited at 1% of national population per year, to prevent social upheaval. That means that given the US's population of 300 million, the number of people that could move here would be equal to the number of Americans that move abroad, plus 3 million.
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Greetings.

Surely the issue for all the non-UK bits of this is that they'd be by proxy open to the EU, which is pretty much exactly the opposite of what they'd want (Australia especially has got an extremely well constructed immigration system which I doubt they'd want to get rid of). I'm very much in favour of free trade in the anglosphere, but I'm yet to be convinced of the benefits of free movement of labour to a richer economy, as compared to a selective approach.
Aloft085
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
Surely the issue for all the non-UK bits of this is that they'd be by proxy open to the EU, which is pretty much exactly the opposite of what they'd want (Australia especially has got an extremely well constructed immigration system which I doubt they'd want to get rid of). I'm very much in favour of free trade in the anglosphere, but I'm yet to be convinced of the benefits of free movement of labour to a richer economy, as compared to a selective approach.
The anglosphere nations are roughly peer economies, so I think any negative effects would be largely minimal. The UK's participation in the EU could be a problem. May be best to establish reciprocal agreements with the other four nations first, and have the UK join later, once the benefits are already established.

Think of it. Multinational corporations today do not stop at national borders. It would have to result in economic efficiency gains if you allowed employees to move between nations, for example to train or supervise new foreign expansions. On an individual level, it would also be absolutely fantastic to be able to go and work in Sydney or London for a few years, and then return home. We would all benefit from the cross-cultural exchange.

On a side note, this wouldn't change the structure of any nation's immigration system, besides to allow this new reciprocal exchange.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would prefer it over free movement within the EU.

Canada/USA and Australia/New Zealand already have free movement agreements anyway, and you'd need a fair amount of money to travel across the Atlantic or Pacific, so pretty much all immigrants travelling across the oceans would be skilled.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not a bad idea. Certainly better than free movement within the EU.
Skunk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Common language, similar standards of living. Makes more sense than Romania and Bulgaria having the right to freely live and work here.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Certainly makes more sense than the freedom of movement with in the EU that we are shackled to but still ultimately allows us no control over our own borders. No from me.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Commonwealth is still important, yes, and the Anglosphere is large and relevant, but I can't see this getting off the ground.

1) too spread out. How could you have freedom of movement between the UK and Australia? Or India and Mozambique? They don't share a border, and it would be impossible to filter out Anglosphere/Commonwealth citizens without border checks and passports, so nullifying the supposed objective.

2) these countries have spent decades at the very least as sovereign states and have no interest in rolling it back. OP may believe there's a strong common bond, but it's nowhere near as strong as it once was. Canada is more concerned with the US, and Australia and New Zealand are positioning themselves around the realities of Chinese local dominance. And India is growing to an extent that eventually it may be complaining of British immigrants 'takin' der jerbs'

3) I fail to see how you can object to EU free movement and yet be okay with Commonwealth free movement.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
The Commonwealth is still important, yes, and the Anglosphere is large and relevant, but I can't see this getting off the ground.

1) too spread out. How could you have freedom of movement between the UK and Australia? Or India and Mozambique? They don't share a border, and it would be impossible to filter out Anglosphere/Commonwealth citizens without border checks and passports, so nullifying the supposed objective.

2) these countries have spent decades at the very least as sovereign states and have no interest in rolling it back. OP may believe there's a strong common bond, but it's nowhere near as strong as it once was. Canada is more concerned with the US, and Australia and New Zealand are positioning themselves around the realities of Chinese local dominance. And India is growing to an extent that eventually it may be complaining of British immigrants 'takin' der jerbs'

3) I fail to see how you can object to EU free movement and yet be okay with Commonwealth free movement.
1) Free movement in this case is immigration without restriction. We can still have this and check their passports.

2) While its true that I support the political unification of the west (and eventually the east) I don't want to push them away from trade elsewhere. The better relations Australia has with Asia, the better it is for us all.

In this case though I'm simply talking of a labour agreement, that's very plausible.

3) I don't oppose most European free movement although I would veto the entry of new member states until they have a $30k GDP per capita.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From the looks of it, Britain has free movement with Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like this idea, much more so than general Commonwealth integration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (172)
44.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.03%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.21%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.28%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (38)
9.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.64%

Watched Threads