The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Chester university 2013

Hey all, Just wondering on any advice you can give about Uni Of Chester.
Im starting this Sept and i live quite far, so i want to absolutely sure that its the right choice :biggrin:
Help?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best advise would be visit the campus on an open day, that way you get the best feel of the place.

In general, Chester is a lovely city with plenty of things to do such as shops, bars, restaurants and its also very historical with its cathedral and walls.

The Uni is great. I think one of the best things is generally small class sizes and a nice open plan campus. I didn't get accommodation in the first year, but from what i've heard its better than a lot other of student accommodation in other cities.

Lil2Wkd also made a post covering the main points which you may want to look at here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2082530

Have you got any specific questions / what course are you doing?
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
I have visited the Uni twice, once for an open day last May and again this year for the applicant day this month.
I think its beautiful, but is beauty enough to go on?

But questions linger in my mind, which would be great if you could answer them?
Whats the nightlife like? What supermarkets are close to the uni?

I am applying for English Language, what are you doing?
Reply 3
The nightlife in town is smaller than other larger cities. The 2 main clubs: Rosies and Cruise do different student nights each week, including alternate and indie nights. Chester does have a tonne of bars and pubs though from the usual places like Wetherspoons, to more independent wine bars and real ale pubs (If you get the chance, the brewery tap is well worth a visit).

Depending where you are on campus / which accommodation you get the nearest Supermarkets are Tesco on Sealand road which is about a ten minute walk from Campus, Morrisons which is about 15, and a large tesco in the city centre which takes about 15 minutes again. Theres also smaller supermarkets and convenience stores nearer to campus, which are more convenient but tend to be more expensive.

Good point about it not all being about beauty, but the university itself has really good facilities and I think having a nice environment compliments it all :smile:.

I study Geography. In my first year I did Geography with English so I know a small bit about the department, not much about the language side of things though :frown:
Reply 4
Ah perfect .. Thank you!
Oo geography, that's gotta be hard?

Another question for you, do you know anything about halls of residence at all?
Reply 5
i,m studying in sept, i,m going to study tourism managament. I,m not living in halls, but not far but with 19 people, so should have the same experiance
Reply 6
Original post by tariqjnr
i,m studying in sept, i,m going to study tourism managament. I,m not living in halls, but not far but with 19 people, so should have the same experiance

Ah brilliant, that sounds so interesting :smile:
Are you in shared housingg then or making your own arrangements?
Are you nervous about moving away?
Reply 7
Original post by BhavishaMistry
Ah perfect .. Thank you!
Oo geography, that's gotta be hard?

Another question for you, do you know anything about halls of residence at all?

I don't really :frown: I lived in private accommodation throughout my time at uni. I know people have said that in the first year semi-catered is probably the best option, but other than that i'm not all that clued up.
Reply 8
Original post by T'archer
I don't really :frown: I lived in private accommodation throughout my time at uni. I know people have said that in the first year semi-catered is probably the best option, but other than that i'm not all that clued up.

Im gonna go for self catered, simply because I've grown up cooking so it's not a problem for me.
Are you in uni still? Or have you finished :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Im gonna go for self catered, simply because I've grown up cooking so it's not a problem for me.
Are you in uni still? Or have you finished :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arr cool. The freedom of cooking whenever you want is ace!

I've got about a month left of my 3rd year then that's it :frown:
Arr cool. The freedom of cooking whenever you want is ace!

I've got about a month left of my 3rd year then that's it :frown:

I feel it's the best way to experience life away from home as an individual personally :smile:

And oh my, good luck!
So anything in Chester or near that's a must whilst im there?
Reply 11
I feel it's the best way to experience life away from home as an individual personally :smile:

And oh my, good luck!
So anything in Chester or near that's a must whilst im there?

Thanks! I will need it!

I would definitely recommend walking around the walls, its a great way to see the City. A visit to the zoo is a must aswell. If you want to head a bit further Liverpool is a great day out and maybe a visit to Southport which is about 1 1/2 hour train journey away.
Thanks! I will need it!

I would definitely recommend walking around the walls, its a great way to see the City. A visit to the zoo is a must aswell. If you want to head a bit further Liverpool is a great day out and maybe a visit to Southport which is about 1 1/2 hour train journey away.

Ahh im sure you'll do fine!

And okay, yeah I have been to Liverpool before, so lovely. Really wanna visit Manchester as well as I have a friend studying there.
Didn't know about Southport so I will deffo look into that. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
The University is great.

They do some pretty awesome food (the chicken subs and hot chocolates in the Binks building are to die for!!), the staff are really helpful, lectures are relaxed and fun and the city is awesome. Plenty to do, some historical things to look at, and of course there is the zoo as well. About five minutes driving from the Uni to the zoo I think. Good bus links to Liverpool, Nantwich, Wales and so on.

From friends I've heard good reviews about Rosies for nightlife. As for accommodation, I live at home so I can't help you :P I do know that they're recently purchased a nearby Travel Lodge to convert into accommodation, so that'll be pretty neat once opened.
Hey, thanks. I have firmed Chester so now just hoping for grades and im in.
Really looking forward to coming and by the sounds of it, it's great :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
It's been awesome... Sigh, three years and its over...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lil2wkd
It's been awesome... Sigh, three years and its over...

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was it for you?
I'm going to Chester to study geography and international development studies in september! It's about 3 hours away from where I live, so I'm having the same feelings about going-super excited but also a bit nervous.

Does anyone know if there are any ballet classes or dance classes run through the uni?
Reply 18
I put in as much as I got out, I think it's fair to say. It's a lovely uni doing fantastically well, with the opportunity to become as involved as you win to be with just about everything on caus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Going to study english in September too :smile: So excited! Fantastic open day, can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending