Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i really need help. latly i have been so depressed that i satarted to self harm. the only problem is that it works. everyhing feels so much better and i feel relaxed when i do it. the pain dosnt bother me and i need help to stop it. it is the pressure of school and GCSEs coming up. i am really stressed and need as much help as i can get. please help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevva111)
    i really need help. latly i have been so depressed that i satarted to self harm. the only problem is that it works. everyhing feels so much better and i feel relaxed when i do it. the pain dosnt bother me and i need help to stop it. it is the pressure of school and GCSEs coming up. i am really stressed and need as much help as i can get. please help me.
    tell your parents

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd like to help you.... I know several people who have either self harmed in the past or are doing it currently, I think it's this time of year, when exams are coming up, when the stress gets too much. The only advice I can think of is to try to find another way of relieving yourself of the stress, if that makes sense. So if self harming makes you feel better, why not try and find something less destructive which will also make you feel better? Don't overdo it on the work, because at the end of the day your grades are less important than your health. You could try volunteering for a charity or something, or take up a new hobby? Anything to keep your mind off work for a few hours a week really. I find that watching romantic comedies makes me feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    tell your parents
    And yes, definitely tell your parents. YOu'll only make the situation worse if you keep that kind of thing from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    And yes, definitely tell your parents. YOu'll only make the situation worse if you keep that kind of thing from them.
    ideal, but i think it is quite difficull to just go up to your parents and say, 'i self harm'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    tell your parents
    Blunt...but right....you should speak to your parents about it..and if you can't bring yourself to do that....at least speak to someone about it, maybe a very close friend....form tutor...whoever you feel comfortable talking to.

I'm pretty sure there must be some helplines that you can call which are completely confidential and free too.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    ideal, but i think it is quite difficull to just go up to your parents and say, 'i self harm'
    Yes, I take your point, but I don't think it's something you'd just go up to them and say. You'd have to explain to them how depressed you'd been feeling, and how you really need their help or something. It's hard for me to say, cos I've never been in that particular situation.

ReputationRep:
    There is no magic spell which can make things better in a second, but you can help yourself to improve the situation gradually.

I am no expert on this but I think you need to adress the problem in two ways. First of all you need to stop hurting yourself. Even if it is difficult you should try to stop before it gets any worse. It is important that you realise the importance of stopping. If you do not, you may end up hurting yourself more and more.

The second thing I would advice you to do is to try to adress the root of the problem. If stress is the problem then you need to find ways to relax. I have my IB exams comming up in a little more than a month, and I must say the pressure is heavy. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you get enough sleep food and fresh air. Try to focus upon what you need to do (homework studdy etc) and try not to worry so much. Instead of thinking about how stressed you are you should try to do your best now. Try to stay calm and use plenty of time to do your schoolwork. The less time you use, and the quicker you try to complete something the more stressed you will be. Also, try not to push work forwards as it will make things worse later on.

I do not know how hard you tend to work with your schoolwork (I myself am not very diciplined I think) but try to study at a reasonable intensity. Sitting up late at night is unlikely to help you because what you gain in studdy you lose in lack of sleep. Try to get 8 hours a day, and if you cant sleep go to bed anyways.

And moset importantly: Do not give up! It is never to late to pull yourself together. It is easy to feel down and as if everything is hopeless, but it does not get better if you give up.

ReputationRep:

look mate

the best thing to do if you got all this stress is get a note pad and write everything you feel and it just be for yourself or if you like drawning then draw how you feel a know this sounds weird but it does work it helps you to get it out of your system just like self harming (as i know)

just before you do anything have a chat with me or someone else as it can lead to bigger problems if you don't deal with it now.

ReputationRep:
    look if you don't want to talk to anyone then, would you phone up this number 01924 377011 (samaritans) as these can help you in what you going through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne)
    look if you don't want to talk to anyone then, would you phone up this number 01924 377011 (samaritans) as these can help you in what you going through.
    thank you for helping me as much as you could. i will take all of your advice and see what to do. thanx again

ReputationRep:
    I suggest seeing a doctor or something, I dont know how anyone sane could do this to themselves. You need serious help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I suggest seeing a doctor or something, I dont know how anyone sane could do this to themselves. You need serious help.
    You're very sympathetic. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah like thats really gonna help her.

I self harm when things get too much for me, I don't think its a solution but I know what you mean when you say it helps.

One thing somebody told me to do was to do 'safe' self harm like with rubber bands instead, that way you still get the relief when you need it but you don't get the scars

I know how your feeling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I didnt realise the poster was asking for sympathy. Maybe Im being narrow minded here, but seriously, I dont have a clue in hell how anyone can consider hurting themselves - for any reasons - not least for something as trivial as exams..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne)
    off topic but why is that a Wakefield number?

ReputationRep:
    i'd say he was being v. pragmatic

ReputationRep:
    you what?

so you are saying that anyone normal would do this, get real, he is being realistic

how anyone could contemplate this is unreal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    you what?

so you are saying that anyone normal would do this, get real, he is being realistic

how anyone could contemplate this is unreal
    some people do - psychological problems that need working out - guilt philosophy - everything that goes wrong is their fault and that they deserve to feel pain - the letting of blood is also a welcome relief to the self-abuser - so i am led to believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    some people do - psychological problems that need working out - guilt philosophy - everything that goes wrong is their fault and that they deserve to feel pain - the letting of blood is also a welcome relief to the self-abuser - so i am led to believe
    In that case, they really do need to get some sort of help, as I said...its worrying the amount of people who have replied saying that theyve experienced this and sometimes do it when the pressure gets too intense..

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.