Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    you what?

so you are saying that anyone normal would do this, get real, he is being realistic

how anyone could contemplate this is unreal
    Don't knock it until you've tried it, I used to think it was a load of boll***s but then when i was really down i tried it and it was an amazing experience to feel the power it gave me to forget stuff. Fortuantely I was able to overcome this obsession very quickly but it is a huge problem which is vastly underestimated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Don't knock it until you've tried it, I used to think it was a load of boll***s but then when i was really down i tried it and it was an amazing experience to feel the power it gave me to forget stuff. Fortuantely I was able to overcome this obsession very quickly but it is a huge problem which is vastly underestimated.
    now that's not very good medical advice, is it?

ReputationRep:
    try taking classes in something like martial arts to relieve stress. it works quite well and can get your mind off things quite easily. at the same time you can learn self defence and keep healthy. or find a good friend, someone you trust who knows how to listen and won't judge you and just complain: say everything you wanna say, don't explain yourself or omit any feeling. friends who are supportive enough to listen to this are rare so maybe just type it up here. there are some very understanding people on this forum or like people here have mentioned, dial a helpline or write it all down.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you are going through and exactly how it seems to help, but truthfully how are you helping yourself? Sure you might forget about your problems for a second, maybe even a minute, but is that actually getting you anywhere? Tell me, are you actually doing anything about your problems or just trying to shut them out, forget about them. I Know that you will be able to counter any arguement that I have with your false illusions. I know that you are thinking, what does she know, she just doesnt understand what I am feeling, maybe my problems are worse than hers. But believe me I understand. But i have the biggest regret towards when I used to self harm and every time i see the scars, I cant believe I was so stupid.

Only you can get yourself out of the rut that you have fallen into, nothing is ever as bad as it seems. You cant rely on your friends, teachers, or parents to help you feel happy with yourself. The best advice I can give you is to write, I used to spend all of my lessons just writing and writing all that i felt and it really helped me sort out my problems. If that doesnt help tell someone, when I eventually told someone she helped me get through it, but only do this if there is somebody that you truely trust. Also put an elastic band around your wrist and everytime you feel like hurting yourself just flick it, it will give you a sharp pain and release your tensions. Just please dont self harm, you can really easily kill yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    are you for real, if you think that fair enough, but keep that sort of stuff to yourslef

people who do it genuinley need help, i'm so laid back that i try not to think about pressure, i get pissed off occasionaly but i am the most laid back person i know, i wouldn't even consider harming myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Are you bloody listening to yourself? I dont particularly know what self harm is, but I assume its something like cutting yourself or something? How can that be an amazing experience..

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the good advice has been given, so I'd recommend a hobby. Football's good for me. Or try a punchbag...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    now that's not very good medical advice, is it?
    I wasn't reccomending it at all...It was a long time ago. All I was saying is unless youve tried it you cant say its psychotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Are you bloody listening to yourself? I dont particularly know what self harm is, but I assume its something like cutting yourself or something? How can that be an amazing experience..
    You really really cant make assuptions when you havent been in this type of situation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I wasn't reccomending it at all...It was a long time ago. All I was saying is unless youve tried it you cant say its psychotic.
    No, I think you can safely say that you dont need to try it to say that someone who does it has some serious mental problems.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think you can safely say that you dont need to try it to say that someone who does it has some serious mental problems.
    Maybe not mental problems as if implying they're crazy, but definitely insecurities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    You really really cant make assuptions when you havent been in this type of situation...
    yes you can, everybody gets stressed, but normal people deal with it in a proper way like punching a geek or just screaming out loud or something.

cutting yourslef, no matter how stressed you get is stupid, you don't need a doctor to tell you that much.....

ReputationRep:
    It is an amazing experience, but whether a good or bad one is another matter. It's not something anyone should do, but what Daveo says is correct, and he's not recommending it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well I didnt have mental problems, I was going through a very tough time as my parents were splitting up. THe only person i could talk to was one of my teachers at school which sounds wierd but my advice would be to just tell someone like that.

ReputationRep:
    yes you can, everybody gets stressed, but normal people deal with it in a proper way like punching a geek or just screaming out loud or something.

cutting yourslef, no matter how stressed you get is stupid, you don't need a doctor to tell you that much.....
    It's not stupid to the harmer, do try and put yourself in their position.

ReputationRep:

No, maybe you are just quite self confident, but think about someone who feels so incredibly **** about themselves, who blames all their problems on themselves and feels everything is shut up inside them. The only way they can see of releasing all that is by hurting themselves. Ok, it seems illogical to you but maybe you have never felt exactly like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    It's not stupid to the harmer, do try and put yourself in their position.
    what position

everyone has to go through ****, some more than others but not everyone needs to go this far imo....

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say Ive had an easy childhood, and have been through some pretty touch times, and have felt EXTREMELY *****y about myself before, yet Ive never considered hurting myself because of it...its not normal, end of story..

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say Ive had an easy childhood, and have been through some pretty touch times, and have felt EXTREMELY *****y about myself before, yet Ive never considered hurting myself because of it...its not normal, end of story..
    It's not normal no, but some people see it as a way to escape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    It's not normal no, but some people see it as a way to escape.
    finding med school too tough, eh?? ever considered investment banking?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.