Turn on thread page Beta

Self harming watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I wouldnt say Ive had an easy childhood, and have been through some pretty touch times, and have felt EXTREMELY *****y about myself before, yet Ive never considered hurting myself because of it...its not normal, end of story..
    I know what you're saying, I feel seriously crap a lot of the time, and often think very dark, suicidal thoughts, but I always snap out of it and it's never reached the stage where I would actually consider harming myself. But I guess for some people self harming provides some kind of release, and although it's difficult for many people to understand that I think it's certainly an issue which needs to be addressed seriously. I mean take anorexia for example... it's virtually impossible to imagine what goes on in the mind of a sufferer - that they actually think they are fat when they are perilously thin.

Psychology can be a frightfully interesting subject you know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    finding med school too tough, eh?? ever considered investment banking?
    Oh will you all stop being so insensitive, Daveo i agree with you 100%, me agreeing? something which is quite rare.

ReputationRep:
    finding med school too tough, eh?? ever considered investment banking?
    Your a twit you know, probably the most annoying person ive ever not met.
    My experience was years ago

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say Ive had an easy childhood, and have been through some pretty touch times, and have felt EXTREMELY *****y about myself before, yet Ive never considered hurting myself because of it...its not normal, end of story..
    Dammit, it deleted my reply :mad: OK, yes, there are people who have gone through really really **** times and are never once tempted. They will never understand it at all. Others do it because at the moment it is fashionable in some weird way. But for some people, it genuinely does provide a release and a "rush" of some sort that helps you when you're feeling bad. The temptation to do it can be huge, and for some people it's as much of an addiction as other people get hooked on drugs or alcohol.

It may not be "normal" but it happens to people and you shouldn't look down on them because of it.

Boygenious - that's disgustingly insensitive, I am appalled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Oh will you all stop being so insensitive, Daveo i agree with you 100%, me agreeing? something which is quite rare.
    some people can be utter twits - but u got to pity them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    I know what you're saying, I feel seriously crap a lot of the time, and often think very dark, suicidal thoughts, but I always snap out of it and it's never reached the stage where I would actually consider harming myself. But I guess for some people self harming provides some kind of release, and although it's difficult for many people to understand that I think it's certainly an issue which needs to be addressed seriously. I mean take anorexia for example... it's virtually impossible to imagine what goes on in the mind of a sufferer - that they actually think they are fat when they are perilously thin.

Psychology can be a frightfully interesting subject you know!

Even when Ive felt down about myself I never thought suicidal thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Your a twit you know, probably the most annoying person ive ever not met.
    My experience was years ago
    that's the last time I try to help

ReputationRep:
    Do you want a medal or something? You're not exactly helping.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're a strong person. Anyway I don't think i can ever imagine how low the person that contemplates suicide feels.

ReputationRep:
    that's the last time I try to help
    You do somewhat amuse me though - for some insane reason. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're a strong person. Anyway I don't think i can ever imagine how low the person that contemplates suicide feels.
    i concede - psychology is relevant - especially in these cases - some people just dont have the strength to face their problems or the world - but they end up at the same place in their next life - until they overcome the adversity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Do you want a medal or something? You're not exactly helping.

why the **** would he want a medal

so saying "i always wanna kill myslef, it feels good" is helping

get real, i've ****ing heard it all today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    i concede - psychology is relevant - especially in these cases - some people just dont have the strength to face their problems or the world - but they end up at the same place in their next life - until they overcome the adversity
    May i just say again, psychology isn't simply about the way we think, nor just about thoughts and feelings. :mad:

Take a look at some of the major concepts: The biological approach (genetic, brain biochemistry etc), behavioural approach, cogntive, evolutionary etc. There's so much evidence to suggest that mental illnesses isn't just purely psychological.

ReputationRep:
    Im just saying, I dont consider myself to be an exceptionally emotionally strong minded person, Ive even cried after some girl ripped into me before(I was young, forgive me) but still, I would never even contemplate hurting myself, killing myself, I havent even thought about it before...

yo someone explain to me what you mean by "self harm", is it as serious as it sounds, like cutting yourself with knives, or am i thinkin of something different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevva111)
    i really need help. latly i have been so depressed that i satarted to self harm. the only problem is that it works. everyhing feels so much better and i feel relaxed when i do it. the pain dosnt bother me and i need help to stop it. it is the pressure of school and GCSEs coming up. i am really stressed and need as much help as i can get. please help me.
    tell your friends and family and they will help you! my sister did/does this and went to a shrink in the end i dont really know if she does it any more but i think she's a bit better. when other people know about it they can help you if you keep it inside they cant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-man)
    yo someone explain to me what you mean by "self harm", is it as serious as it sounds, like cutting yourself with knives, or am i thinkin of something different?
    I'd explain my experience but i'd only get slated!

ReputationRep:
    Im just saying, I dont consider myself to be an exceptionally emotionally strong minded person, Ive even cried after some girl ripped into me before(I was young, forgive me) but still, I would never even contemplate hurting myself, killing myself, I havent even thought about it before...
    Okay fine. But let's take into account individual differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-man)
    Can be cutting with knives, or burning yourself, or hitting yourself etc just like the name sounds, any way of hurting yourself, there is even some condition in which people pull out their hairs to hurt themselves.

ReputationRep:
    May i just say again, psychology isn't simply about the way we think, nor just about thoughts and feelings. :mad:

Take a look at some of the major concepts: The biological approach (genetic, brain biochemistry etc), behavioural approach, cogntive, evolutionary etc.
    conceded - as long as you take that angry frown off your face "turn that frown upside down" - yeah i understand what you are saying Alee - psychology has an undoubted relevance in our lives - i was being a bit short-sighted in criticising it but perhaps prone to playing Devil's Advocate - just like when we discussed your taste in romantic comedies

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.