Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    hey, i really feel for you. a couple of years ago i had clinical depression and used to self harm too. i think the best advice i can give you is to tell someone who you trust. just talking about it and bringing it out into the open will make the world of a difference to how you feel. chances are you're just a bit stressed with exams looming and things are getting on top of you. try not to worry, things will get better, remember that exams aren't the end of the wold and that your health is much more importnt than grades on a set of paper. if you ever want to talk to someone who's been through it, PM me, i'll be happy to try and help.
    thank you for your amasing support. i really apreaseate it. and well i will keep you all informed about my progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    yes you can, everybody gets stressed, but normal people deal with it in a proper way like punching a geek or just screaming out loud or something.

cutting yourslef, no matter how stressed you get is stupid, you don't need a doctor to tell you that much.....
    No, it's not stupid, just not a wise path to take.
    You really can't speak with authority on this if you haven't been there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-man)
    yo someone explain to me what you mean by "self harm", is it as serious as it sounds, like cutting yourself with knives, or am i thinkin of something different?
    Self harm is deliberately hurting yourself, and it can take many forms. It's usually very physical, e.g. cutting yourself (scissors, knives, razors, anything from tiny scratches to hitting the bone)
    burning yourself (lighters, candles, curling irons, kettles, whatever, anything from going a bit red to 3rd degree)
    scratching yourself (pins, needles, nails)
    pulling out your hair (trichotillomania)
    skin-picking to any degree.
    bruising yourself (hitting with blunt instruments, hitting walls etc)
    any number of other ways of causing yourself pain.

But it can also be less focussed on physical pain; things such as eating disorders and addictions can be forms of self harm.

I think we're talking about the more physical type here.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (sorry-tried to refresh and it didnt save what i'd written)

my twin sister and two of my best friends have over the past 4-5 years self-harmed. my sister and one of my friends both cut themselves and picked their skin. my other friend cut herself also but at one point collected many pills (both legal and illegal) and was going to take them.

i have found it so hard to try to (still havent) deal with this as there is nothing you can do. you can't physically stop anyone frm hurting themselves and can't force them to listen to you.

in terms of self-harm and depression generally, it's so hard because however 'there' you are for the person, you are of no help to the person until they want you to be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevva111)
    i really need help. latly i have been so depressed that i satarted to self harm. the only problem is that it works. everyhing feels so much better and i feel relaxed when i do it. the pain dosnt bother me and i need help to stop it. it is the pressure of school and GCSEs coming up. i am really stressed and need as much help as i can get. please help me.
    ****, you need to calm down and put your studies into perspective...I take it you have a good home, family, friends etc.? Consider what you do have over what you feel you have to acheive....believe me, I get seriously nervous over my exams and often cannot sleep until the early hours the night before one....However, I have come to disregard the susposed importance of exams...afterall, they are just pieces of paper and plenty of people have been successful without qualifications. If you know you have put some effort in before them, then there is no point in punishing yourself for not exceeding your abilities...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hevva111)
    i really need help. latly i have been so depressed that i satarted to self harm. the only problem is that it works. everyhing feels so much better and i feel relaxed when i do it. the pain dosnt bother me and i need help to stop it. it is the pressure of school and GCSEs coming up. i am really stressed and need as much help as i can get. please help me.
    wheni used to self harm i likre to do it to get rid of things i coundnt express in any other way. but afterwards the after afects were painfull and i had to go to hospital oncecos i did it so bad. now i try to keep myself healthy see my friends and when i feel like self harming i think what can i do that i need to do like tidy my room or do some coures work. or i just do sonme thing that takes my mine of it like going for awalk or doing some art some times i just scribelon apage i realy helps even though it sounds realy stupid. so keep your seld happy and sick 2 a rhythem and see all your friends . psmake sure you talk things through with who ever you feel you can with hope that help

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.