The Student Room Group

IGCSE CHEMISTRY 2013 (May 20th & June 10th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gGinaa
Its because a metal hydroxide and acid produces a salt and water, which means that no gas at all is made, therefore it doesnt go with the experiment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, so not that it's insoluble?
Reply 921
Original post by Kolasinac138
Oh right, so not that it's insoluble?

Nope, because remember, all sodium, potassium and ammonium compounds are soluble, which means that sodium hydroxide is also soluble too

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's all over! Well done everyone! Here's hoping for some good grades :cool:
Original post by Scruff the cat

Yo is this ur first post after creating this thread lol. I thought that you made this thread and left it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 924
Original post by Scruff the cat

well it all depends on the grade boundaries...
expecting (more hoping and praying) it will be about 142/143.....:redface:
Original post by shysybil.24
Yeah, I reckoned platinum, but there are a lot of people saying it's carbon - came to the conclusion there would be a mark for either :smile: they shouldn't knock marks off because carbon, platinum and even steel are used in electrolysis of water!
I didn't actually put oxygen dissolving in water as my answer - I put some rubbish about oxygen reacting etc. and found out afterwards that dissolving was supposed to be the answer :biggrin:

yeh I put oxugen reacting too
Reply 926
Original post by shysybil.24
Yeah, I reckoned platinum, but there are a lot of people saying it's carbon - came to the conclusion there would be a mark for either :smile: they shouldn't knock marks off because carbon, platinum and even steel are used in electrolysis of water!
I didn't actually put oxygen dissolving in water as my answer - I put some rubbish about oxygen reacting etc. and found out afterwards that dissolving was supposed to be the answer :biggrin:

no but if carbon is right then logically reacting is right too, cos in the electrolysis of aluminium remember some oxygen reacts with the carbon/graphite electrodes which means they need to be replaced...
so either carbon and reacting is acceptable (hope it is - thats what i put)
or they're both wrong and platinum and dissolving is only right
Reply 927
Actually sodium hydroxide is one of the few exceptions to that rule- it is soluble.
Reply 928
Original post by jwdwj
this is exactly what i drew.

you're wrong
Original post by parasagarwal01
Yo is this ur first post after creating this thread lol. I thought that you made this thread and left it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No matey, I have posted loads in this thread scroll back through! :biggrin:
The basic laws of nomenclature.
The long chain rule u must apply 4 it.:smug:
Do people actually remember the answers they've put lol
I've completely forgotten and don't really want to remember :L
Original post by Dominicoben
Do people actually remember the answers they've put lol
I've completely forgotten and don't really want to remember :L

Ditto. I don't remember my answers too, which I guess is a good thing because I don't want to stress about which ones I'll get right and which ones I won't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending