The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances?

Hey, what is extenuating circumstances? and what does it mean in terms of grades? is it like 5-10% off real grades? its not for me just curious.
Original post by Craming Revision
Hey, what is extenuating circumstances? and what does it mean in terms of grades? is it like 5-10% off real grades? its not for me just curious.

Extenuating circumstances is basically anything which is unexpected and significantly disrupts your e.g academic performance. Something which is beyond your control, and which may have had a detrimental effect on your true ability. It could be anything from illness to family issues...Erm...In terms of grades I think its totally up to the admissions tutors in universities. Most likely, the grades would be lower than required. E.g Offer of AAB maybe lowered to ABB/BBB. But it depends on the severity of the situation plus you do have to provide solid proof that you have had problems.
Reply 2

I think you are talking about special consideration, which is the system for compensating candidates who have completed the course but are then unable to take an exam at the end (e.g. because they are in hospital having emergency surgery) or who take it but are disadvantaged (ill, recent bereavement of close family member etc). All the exam boards abide by the same JCQ rules http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/access-arrangements-reasonable-adjustments-and-special-consideration-2012-2013 The maximum uplift if you attend the exam is 5%, you have to complete at least 50% of a qualification before it is possible to claim the other half if you are too ill to take it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Data
I think you are talking about special consideration, which is the system for compensating candidates who have completed the course but are then unable to take an exam at the end (e.g. because they are in hospital having emergency surgery) or who take it but are disadvantaged (ill, recent bereavement of close family member etc). All the exam boards abide by the same JCQ rules http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/access-arrangements-reasonable-adjustments-and-special-consideration-2012-2013 The maximum uplift if you attend the exam is 5%, you have to complete at least 50% of a qualification before it is possible to claim the other half if you are too ill to take it.

thanks. for that, my friends going through a real tough situation and wanted to know more about how hes going to be helped, if he sends it off to his college/uni now would how long would they respond? and how does one know how they responded? in terms of exam grades and uni
Original post by Gold Phoenix
Extenuating circumstances is basically anything which is unexpected and significantly disrupts your e.g academic performance. Something which is beyond your control, and which may have had a detrimental effect on your true ability. It could be anything from illness to family issues...Erm...In terms of grades I think its totally up to the admissions tutors in universities. Most likely, the grades would be lower than required. E.g Offer of AAB maybe lowered to ABB/BBB. But it depends on the severity of the situation plus you do have to provide solid proof that you have had problems.

thanks. for that, my friends going through a real tough situation and wanted to know more about how hes going to be helped, if he sends it off to his college/uni now would how long would they respond? and how does one know how they responded? in terms of exam grades and uni

It depends on what exactly is the situation and the severity of it. If he's made his firm and insurance choice. Then on results day when he gets his grades, the unis will be lenient toward him and treat him lightly and generously. I'm certain that there's a specific website you apply to for 'extenuating circumstances', and this will be valid for the upcoming exam
season.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
It depends on what exactly is the situation and the severity of it. If he's made his firm and insurance choice. Then on results day when he gets his grades, the unis will be lenient toward him and treat him lightly and generously. I'm certain that there's a specific website you apply to for 'extenuating circumstances', and this will be valid for the upcoming exam
season.

situation is very very bad. think its death in fam related someone close, he cant do work at all and was telling me what is exentuating circumstances because he doesnt think he can go to uni, he has insurance and firm for abb but insurance and firm are low ranked unis
situation is very very bad. think its death in fam related someone close, he cant do work at all and was telling me what is exentuating circumstances because he doesnt think he can go to uni, he has insurance and firm for abb but insurance and firm are low ranked unis

Sorry can't remember the exact name of the site, but in situations like this, the school will need to help too in confirming his exenuating circumstances application. You should get him to contact/see the head of sixth form and they should delegate and be able to provide additional info in relation to the circumstances application. And plus I think uni's need to have some sort of evidential proof about what has happened and his situation; but he'll learn more about that on the site and after discussing everything with the head of his college/sixth form. Plus, even if the offer is only ABB, the unis will usually still decrease it for him considering the student's situation and once they have recieved the circumstances application.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
Sorry can't remember the exact name of the site, but in situations like this, the school will need to help too in confirming his exenuating circumstances application. You should get him to contact/see the head of sixth form and they should delegate and be able to provide additional info in relation to the circumstances application. And plus I think uni's need to have some sort of evidential proof about what has happened and his situation; but he'll learn more about that on the site and after discussing everything with the head of his college/sixth form. Plus, even if the offer is only ABB, the unis will usually still decrease it for him considering the student's situation and once they have recieved the circumstances application.

cheers mate, the sixth forms discussing it hes taken all the evidence and showed them. hospital records/notes confirming it, do you know exactly how long the process is? if it was ABB offer do you rekon if he got BBC he'd still get a place?
ps his gcses were really bad like e's d's c's but in his a.s and jan exams a's,b's and c's showed improvement so thats evidence that hes working hard and has potential,
Reply 9

I should have made clear that special consideration is a process that covers GCSe and A level grading - any discussions with a university are entirely separate. Applications to the exam boards for special consideration have to be made by the exams officer of the centre where the exams are taken so your friend needs to talk to him. The application has to be made for each exam (including coursework), after the exam has taken place and within 1 week of the last exam in that subject. You are told if the application is rejected but you never normally discover how much effect it had, though the maximum is 5%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending