The Student Room Group

How to get into DENTAL NURSING?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jennyo123
I noticed someone had asked about the Dental nurse academy online. I have a degree in a comepletely unrealted field but I find my job boring and fear I may have gone down the wrong route! I had looked into the Dental Nurse Academy as it allows me to work at my own pace in the evenings or weekends and i can still work. I don't have to get out early to rush to a different town for a certain time for an evening class. You pay a monthly fee and I had spoken to my dentist a while ago and they said they would let me come in a couple of evenings a week to gain practical experience. Is that an OK way to go about becoming a dental nurse?

I am still really undecided what to do. I don't want to start dental nurse training and pay for the online course to find that full time work, plus practical experience and studying is all too much for me, although i think i would be ok as i have worked a few jobs before whilst at uni! So undecided!!

I would be more than happy to give you some personal advice if you wish to message me - I have a lot of experience and deliver both the Dental nursing and the Access to Nursing and Midwifery courses. Hopefully I should be able to help you out.

Dental nursing is a great career, however you do need to be working a minimum of 14 hours a week in dental nursing in order to be able to complete your Record of Experience. Online study gives you that flexibility to study when you want, however you need to be really motivated and it's not that easy. I did my degree through distance learning and it is hard to stay focused over the entire duration of the course. So if you're not too sure if it's going to be too much then you might find a classroom course keeps you on track. Saying that it really is more flexible so it depends on your home situation.

Even if you pay for a course in monthly installments, you will need to commit to the whole cost for the course - so maybe it is a good idea to go and do some evenings with your dentist observing before you make the commitment. I love dental nursing and I think it's a great career - there are so many options for career development now. But if you can do some shadowing before committing to anything with any provider I think that's a golden opportunity.

Always here to help if you have any questions.
Hi all, I'm looking in doing an online dental nursing course as it wod be easier to fit around my young family while I train. I have looked at Harriet Ellis and now seen the dental nursing academy. Any advise in to which would be better at all? Really stuck for which route to take.
Thanks
I'm also interested in Dental Nursing and I'm thinking of Harriet Ellis as my Plan 'B' route; I have heard through someone who did this course that there were many students who dropped out because they couldn't find a placement and didn't want to pay and extra £300 to extend the course. What assistance do students get to find a placement? Do Harriet Ellis have their own Oral Hygiene and Dental Therapy course as a follow up to the Dental Nursing course?
I am doing the online course with Harriet and Ellis. I am very happy with it. I have got a placement - although I went out and worked very hard to get it. But I could not have done it without their help. They don't have the Hygiene Therapy course. I think you have to go to Uni with that. I think it is worth it but everyone is different. If you put in your effort too then you will be successful with them.
Reply 24
Hi everyone.

I really need some informations regarding 'how to get a practical dental nurse training for registered dental nurse?' It will be very helpful as its been many years had to stop working but would love to start again. Looking in Greater Manchester.
Thx xxx
Jimy
Hi Mahora,

The first place you need to go is to speak to the GDC - they will tell you exactly what you have to do and that will explain where to get help.

Original post by Mahora
Hi everyone.

I really need some informations regarding 'how to get a practical dental nurse training for registered dental nurse?' It will be very helpful as its been many years had to stop working but would love to start again. Looking in Greater Manchester.
Thx xxx
Jimy
Reply 26
I want to join dentist but i dont have any idea can you help me please
Im thinking to get course with Harriet Ellis for dental nurse.
If anybody have experience with them please share it.
Im confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am with Harriet Ellis and I have been very happy.

Original post by Ivelina88
Im thinking to get course with Harriet Ellis for dental nurse.
If anybody have experience with them please share it.
Im confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by ChelseaFan76
I am with Harriet Ellis and I have been very happy.

I am also with Harriet Ellis. I have nearly finished my course and I am going to University! I could not recommend them more.
Reply 30
I want to do dental nurse course, I am 25 female. I live in hackney london. I seriously need some advise for learning and vecome dental nurse. But I cant afford to pay for the course in college. Can you suggest me what I need to have or to do to be qualified to study dental nurse and how can I do dental nurse course as I dont have much budget. I would really appreciate help from any one.
Kind regards
Ash
Reply 31
I want to do dental nurse course, I am 25 female. I live in hackney london. I seriously need some advise for learning and vecome dental nurse. But I cant afford to pay for the course in college. Can you suggest me what I need to have or to do to be qualified to study dental nurse and how can I do dental nurse course as I dont have much budget. I would really appreciate help from any one.
Kind regards
Ash
Original post by Jaxevans
Hi, I'm currently a hairdresser in Cumbria. I am looking at a Career change studying dental nursing and a possible move down South to Portsmouth. I was looking at Harriet ellis, but they are quite pricey and heard mixed reviews? Can anyone recommend any other academy's in Portsmouth or any other ways into dental nursing? Any advise would be highly appreciated :smile:

I am doing the distance learning course with Harriet Ellis and my experience has been really good. I don't agree with the negative reviews as they are not a representation of what I received. So I would recommend them.
Original post by Ashmitaa
Kind regards
Ash

Why don't you go to uni?
Hi ,

I was wondering does anyone know which are the best Questions and Answers that I could purchase to study as I am preparing for for a written exam some time this year ?

I know about the Carol hollins 11th edition for dental nurses are there any others ?

If you have the experience /passed the exam tho provide me with the most efficient information that would be super helpful
Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 35
Is the course you're doing through Harriet Ellis by any chance?

I just finished my course and failed my exam which is costing £599 to resit plus I have to go back to college. I, alongside my mum and partner agree with your mum. The amount of money I will have paid by the time I'm qualified is ridiculous.

Not to mention the fact when you fail they don't tell you why so there's a chance I can fail again after paying that money. I've complained to the nebdn and I'll be complaints to Harriet Ellis as well not that they'll get back to me.

If I was you I would find a job as an apprentice or whatever that will train you up and put you through college for defo.
I have studied with Harriet Ellis and I am not sure why you are so angry with them. I am very happy and I feel totally prepared for the exam. I am revising a lot and I am happy they have given me lots of information. What you are complaining about is the NEBDN and not actually Harriet Ellis, so why are you slating them? They give you everything but in the end it is up to you to pass?

I think you are rude about them and should look at yourself because they have been very helpful to me!

Original post by Lorecia
Is the course you're doing through Harriet Ellis by any chance?

I just finished my course and failed my exam which is costing £599 to resit plus I have to go back to college. I, alongside my mum and partner agree with your mum. The amount of money I will have paid by the time I'm qualified is ridiculous.

Not to mention the fact when you fail they don't tell you why so there's a chance I can fail again after paying that money. I've complained to the nebdn and I'll be complaints to Harriet Ellis as well not that they'll get back to me.

If I was you I would find a job as an apprentice or whatever that will train you up and put you through college for defo.
Reply 37
Hi - I'm a recently-qualified dental nurse, and I've just been reading all the posts and threads about training. I agree with the confusion about and the best way to get qualified, what with there being so many different options and courses and studying while working. Basically, the FE colleges have more applicants than places, and you shouldn't have to pay the ridiculous fees that some of these private companies charge. My advice to anyone looking to get their foot on the ladder would be to take the level 3 SVQ, because it gets you registered with the GDC, and you can stay in dental nursing or move onwards and upwards. Personally, I took the Mentor Training Centre course... they’re a great training provider because their course is free because it’s funded by the Scottish government, and you can work in a practice as you study. Just a thought
Hello everyone, I'm 26 and i would like to take a shot in Dental. I thought it would be the best for if i start with Dental Nurse but I'm not sure if I'm right, I'm not native English speaker, I have to learn medical english first, that's for sure. Could You please guide me what should i do first ? I don't have any degree, I've only pass my Mature exam back in Poland, I had about 80% in basic biology and I don't even know what degree in England this covers. Is it GCSE ?i would be gratful for any response.
Hi all. I've recently secured a job as a trainee dental nurse with a local practice. Has anyone here completed the online course with The Dental Nurse Academy? They are a lot cheaper than Harriet Ellis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending