Indian student: chances of getting into Oxford/King's law?

Watch
amol_chalis447
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm an applicant from India, and I study in an Indian board called CBSE. My school is called National Public School Indiranagar, and I've just finished 11th (entering 12th). Oxford's entrance requirements state a minimum of 90% in our Board exams, LSE states 95%, and King's states 85% minimum but recommends 90%.

My grades average out to 82% right now (Accounts 80%, Business Studies 88% [3rd in my grade], English 86% [2nd in my grade], Maths 65%, Economics 90% [2nd in my grade), but my school is nationally known for being in top 5 when it comes to setting the country's toughest internal exam papers. This year's highest average was 92%. However our school is also known for having the really high Board scores, and the usual pattern of marks indicates that my scores will move up by 5% in all subjects but Maths and English, remain constant in English, and go by 20% in Maths.

My predicted marks according to my teachers are: Accounts 96%, Business Studies 93%, Economics 96%, Maths 92%, English 94% - average of 94.2%.

I've written the SAT 1 and my score is 2190 (Reading - 720, Maths - 770, Writing - 700). I'll be writing the SAT subject tests in Maths Level 2, English Literature and World History soon, and am taking AP English Language, Calculus AB, Microeconomics, and Macroeconomics.

From the threads I've read, I've seen that LNAT scores can't be predicted and hence will make no attempt now. I hope my Personal Statement will be good, since I write well, but that's left to see. My Economics teacher and my school's principal will both write my recommendations, and they both have lots of experience and, fortunately, like me a lot.

Since legal experience in India is strictly available to current law students only, I have none. However I am a national level debater. In the British Council's Debating Matters India (South India) my team placed 2nd and I won the Best Individual award. In Debating Matters India (national level) my team placed third and I won the Commendable Individual award. I've also won some Crisis Management events, quizzes, won awards (though not Best Delegate) and MUNs. I regularly obtain High Distinctions (top 1% of all candidates) in Science and Maths in the University of New South Wales' International Assessments For Indian Schools. I also participate in olympiads. International rank 168 in the National Cyber Olympiad, and international rank 391 in the International English Olympiad.

I also volunteer at an orphanage for one hour a week, where I provide free tutorship to the children in Maths.

Really sorry for the information overdose, but I want to get a clear picture across. I would greatly appreciate any advice, feedback, comments, or general discussion. Thank you all very much in advance!
Everyoneofus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do more. Volunteering and tuition wont get you anywhere, be more active. Go to different cities, do big things. Be part of present ;present the package to those unis.
amol_chalis447
Rep:
?
(Original post by Everyoneofus)
Do more. Volunteering and tuition wont get you anywhere, be more active. Go to different cities, do big things. Be part of present ;present the package to those unis.
Not entirely sure what you mean. Can you please give me some suggestions?
amol_chalis447
Rep:
?
Also forgot to mention - I went on a summer law and trial program to Stanford Law School.
Ilovelarkin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I'm an Indian applicant too- though I applied for literature, not law, last year.

Okay, the fact that you are from NPS (a school I know very well, having lived in Bangalore for five years) will probably influence admissions in India, but it won't matter much outside India, from what I have gathered. Nps prides itself on being tough and everything, but no one outside India will take that into consideration.

Secondly, I got rejected from Oxford for literature, one of the reasons being that because my grade ten marks in PHYSICS were very low. I'm guessing that since they are such an elite school, they have a tougher criteria, because I've gotten into all my other choices. So grade ten marks DO matter- especially in the top notch schools you have applied to.
We had an exam called the ELATs for the oxford entrance- and i fell sick the day it was held, so I ended up getting a 46, and most offers are made to people with a 50+. So makes sure your LNAT scores are high. very high.

Thirdly, your extra curriculars are most impressive, but i suggest don;t bank too much on your achievements in the olympiads. I've come in the top 20 regularly in the international english olympiad, but TRUST ME doesn't carry much weight. i suggest that in your personal statement, you talk about how a certain activity has added to your potential to study Law.
Honestly, your recco letters and predicted grades, in my opinion, especially because you are an international applicant, are the most important right now.

Unlike the US, admissions for international students- or at least Indian applicants- in the Uk are made strongly on academic performance and potential to excel in the academic area. I suggest that in your PS- you communicate to the universities your passion for law, and tone down the focus on your extra curricular acheivements- mention them- but please describe how they made you more suitable to study law.

All the best
amol_chalis447
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ilovelarkin)
Hi, I'm an Indian applicant too- though I applied for literature, not law, last year.

Okay, the fact that you are from NPS (a school I know very well, having lived in Bangalore for five years) will probably influence admissions in India, but it won't matter much outside India, from what I have gathered. Nps prides itself on being tough and everything, but no one outside India will take that into consideration.

Secondly, I got rejected from Oxford for literature, one of the reasons being that because my grade ten marks in PHYSICS were very low. I'm guessing that since they are such an elite school, they have a tougher criteria, because I've gotten into all my other choices. So grade ten marks DO matter- especially in the top notch schools you have applied to.
We had an exam called the ELATs for the oxford entrance- and i fell sick the day it was held, so I ended up getting a 46, and most offers are made to people with a 50+. So makes sure your LNAT scores are high. very high.

Thirdly, your extra curriculars are most impressive, but i suggest don;t bank too much on your achievements in the olympiads. I've come in the top 20 regularly in the international english olympiad, but TRUST ME doesn't carry much weight. i suggest that in your personal statement, you talk about how a certain activity has added to your potential to study Law.
Honestly, your recco letters and predicted grades, in my opinion, especially because you are an international applicant, are the most important right now.

Unlike the US, admissions for international students- or at least Indian applicants- in the Uk are made strongly on academic performance and potential to excel in the academic area. I suggest that in your PS- you communicate to the universities your passion for law, and tone down the focus on your extra curricular acheivements- mention them- but please describe how they made you more suitable to study law.

All the best
Thanks a lot for that.

My grades are improving a lot, as I said. Plus I'm working pretty hard to get them up into the 90s as a constant. My father said that Oxford probably knows of the good schools, but since you're a past applicant, I'll take your word for it.

My grade 10 marks were given as a GPA - 9.4/10. We were the guinea pig batch for CCE, so they messed up all our internal exams and we all did pretty bad last year. To sort of show that NPS has super hard tests, I took the SAT 1 (2190) and I'm taking the SAT 2 in a few days. I'm also taking the APs, so I hope they take my scores on those into consideration as well.

I'll really work hard on the LNAT, and it should be a little easier because I'm taking SAT Literature. So hopefully I'll score well. On the online practice test I scored 28/42 but it's expected I'll do worse on the real test. So maybe with practice I can keep it at 28-ish. That's a pretty good score from what I've seen.

I mentioned the olympaids because a friend of mine at KCL said it's better to mention them anyway...

My Economics teacher and my principal will write my recommendations, and both of them like me a lot and are known to write awesome recs.. Plus I usually score in the top 2-3 in Economics so bonus points there. Predicted grades will be significantly higher since the school knows we perform really well in the Boards.

And your suggestion is that I should bring out how all my debate experience and MUN experience will enable me to be a really good student and a good lawyer, how it's changed my depth of thinking, and so on and so forth?

Again, thank you so much
Ilovelarkin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amol_chalis447)
Thanks a lot for that.

My grades are improving a lot, as I said. Plus I'm working pretty hard to get them up into the 90s as a constant. My father said that Oxford probably knows of the good schools, but since you're a past applicant, I'll take your word for it.

My grade 10 marks were given as a GPA - 9.4/10. We were the guinea pig batch for CCE, so they messed up all our internal exams and we all did pretty bad last year. To sort of show that NPS has super hard tests, I took the SAT 1 (2190) and I'm taking the SAT 2 in a few days. I'm also taking the APs, so I hope they take my scores on those into consideration as well.

I'll really work hard on the LNAT, and it should be a little easier because I'm taking SAT Literature. So hopefully I'll score well. On the online practice test I scored 28/42 but it's expected I'll do worse on the real test. So maybe with practice I can keep it at 28-ish. That's a pretty good score from what I've seen.

I mentioned the olympaids because a friend of mine at KCL said it's better to mention them anyway...

My Economics teacher and my principal will write my recommendations, and both of them like me a lot and are known to write awesome recs.. Plus I usually score in the top 2-3 in Economics so bonus points there. Predicted grades will be significantly higher since the school knows we perform really well in the Boards.

And your suggestion is that I should bring out how all my debate experience and MUN experience will enable me to be a really good student and a good lawyer, how it's changed my depth of thinking, and so on and so forth?

Again, thank you so much
it sounds like you are good to go! I only wanted to emphasize that at this point, your recco and your predicted grades are the most important.
You should mention the Olympiads, no doubt about it. But I think it's important that you understand that passion and potential for academic excellence are key factors in your personal statements-your sat scores etc will demonstrate that.

If you look at the oxford interview videos and the instructions below them, you'll come to realize that,at least in the case of oxford, they really don't focus on extra curriculars- they may ask you one question on that (how will so and so activity help you in your pursuit of law?). Otherwise, the interview is centered around the subject you are applying for, and also a practical application of your knowledge. In my case, I was asked to analyze a piece and discuss it.
All the best.
Zangoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm an applicant from India, and I study in an Indian board called CBSE. My school is called National Public School Indiranagar, and I've just finished 11th (entering 12th). Oxford's entrance requirements state a minimum of 90% in our Board exams, LSE states 95%, and King's states 85% minimum but recommends 90%.

My grades average out to 82% right now (Accounts 80%, Business Studies 88% [3rd in my grade], English 86% [2nd in my grade], Maths 65%, Economics 90% [2nd in my grade), but my school is nationally known for being in top 5 when it comes to setting the country's toughest internal exam papers. This year's highest average was 92%. However our school is also known for having the really high Board scores, and the usual pattern of marks indicates that my scores will move up by 5% in all subjects but Maths and English, remain constant in English, and go by 20% in Maths.

My predicted marks according to my teachers are: Accounts 96%, Business Studies 93%, Economics 96%, Maths 92%, English 94% - average of 94.2%.

I've written the SAT 1 and my score is 2190 (Reading - 720, Maths - 770, Writing - 700). I'll be writing the SAT subject tests in Maths Level 2, English Literature and World History soon, and am taking AP English Language, Calculus AB, Microeconomics, and Macroeconomics.

From the threads I've read, I've seen that LNAT scores can't be predicted and hence will make no attempt now. I hope my Personal Statement will be good, since I write well, but that's left to see. My Economics teacher and my school's principal will both write my recommendations, and they both have lots of experience and, fortunately, like me a lot.

Since legal experience in India is strictly available to current law students only, I have none. However I am a national level debater. In the British Council's Debating Matters India (South India) my team placed 2nd and I won the Best Individual award. In Debating Matters India (national level) my team placed third and I won the Commendable Individual award. I've also won some Crisis Management events, quizzes, won awards (though not Best Delegate) and MUNs. I regularly obtain High Distinctions (top 1% of all candidates) in Science and Maths in the University of New South Wales' International Assessments For Indian Schools. I also participate in olympiads. International rank 168 in the National Cyber Olympiad, and international rank 391 in the International English Olympiad.

I also volunteer at an orphanage for one hour a week, where I provide free tutorship to the children in Maths.

Really sorry for the information overdose, but I want to get a clear picture across. I would greatly appreciate any advice, feedback, comments, or general discussion. Thank you all very much in advance!
You need to get laid, brahhh...
Everyoneofus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nail a ****, I am

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1367035442342.jpg
Views: 3424
Size:  23.3 KB
arrowhead
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey!

As a current law student who is an Indian by nationality, I can understand the perplexity of your situation.

What matters most, and makes you stand out with admissions committees in the UK, is your personal statement and recommendation. The latter you have no control over of course, but insofar as the former is concerned, it is paramount that you communicate your undying passion and interest in the academic study of law.

Your extracurricular achievements and activities are more than enough from what I ave experienced, what will make or break it for you is your LNAT scores and predicted grades.

If you want any particular advice about applying for law to the UK elite, feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm happy to help.

Best of luck!
Arrowhead.
Shruti2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hi!
I am an Indian student too who has applied for law. I just gave my 12th std ISC exams and have firmed an offer to King's. PM me if you need any help!
If you nail your LNAT and have a good PS, you might get into any of the elite law schools.
amol_chalis447
Rep:
?
(Original post by arrowhead)
Your extracurricular achievements and activities are more than enough from what I ave experienced, what will make or break it for you is your LNAT scores and predicted grades.
Arrowhead, do they also take into account the grades you receive on internal exams? My school is really difficult, so I mostly get in the 80s and not in the 90s, but my predicted grades will all be in the 90s. Also how much does Oxford like participants of Debating Matters?
arrowhead
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Arrowhead, do they also take into account the grades you receive on internal exams? My school is really difficult, so I mostly get in the 80s and not in the 90s, but my predicted grades will all be in the 90s. Also how much does Oxford like participants of Debating Matters?
No, they don't take into account internal school exams. They will consider (a) Your predicted grades for the 12th Board, and (b) your achieved grades in the 10th Board. With top universities like the ones you're looking at, a minimum of 94-95% is necessary in your ICSE/CBSE 10th Board in my opinion.

Debating is just one of those things that looks good, but it's nothing special. When I applied to Oxford, I had a National Debating title much like you. When I went there for my interview, 9/10 people had some kind of debating victories/experience under their belts in my college. It certainly helps but don't think it will necessarily be the feather in your cap.

make sure that everything you talk about in your Personal Statement relates back to your passion for and undying interest in the study of law.
Shruti2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Amol,

To be honest, If I were you, I wouldn't bank on making a good impression by dropping my school name more than once in my application. I've lived in India all my life and have participated in national level events but I still haven't heard of NPS. I can't guarantee you that the Oxford admissions team would know about your school.
amol_chalis447
Rep:
?
Yeah I'm not banking on it at all, but I do need to stress that my marks are not as good as they can be for a reason to make myself feel better :P

NPS isn't friendly. We don't participate in many events at all. In fact I'm the first one to go to HMUN (last year) and my team was the first to go for a debate. A sister branch placed a friend of mine in Oxford last year, so they might just remember the name. I do hope so.

I was talking to said friend, and she said that the UCAS form her year only had spaces for your 10th marks and 12th predicted marks, the latter of which can be self-predicted. Has that changed this year? And do they still like SAT scores?
Zangoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Everyoneofus)
Nail a ****, I am

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1367035442342.jpg
Views: 3424
Size:  23.3 KB
What is that? :eek:
Inika
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I'm not banking on it at all, but I do need to stress that my marks are not as good as they can be for a reason to make myself feel better :P

NPS isn't friendly. We don't participate in many events at all. In fact I'm the first one to go to HMUN (last year) and my team was the first to go for a debate. A sister branch placed a friend of mine in Oxford last year, so they might just remember the name. I do hope so.

I was talking to said friend, and she said that the UCAS form her year only had spaces for your 10th marks and 12th predicted marks, the latter of which can be self-predicted. Has that changed this year? And do they still like SAT scores?
Haha HI Amol! Can't believe I found you here. :P
I've firmed Nottingham, tbh its law school is as good as King's, King's has a one up cause of the name and cause it's in London. But recent surveys are putting it on par with KCL. So i'm really happy I did get rejected from King's, and they were very vague- apparently there weren't any places left to make me an offer although my application was considered until 2 days before the deadline. I was disappointed, but I'm more than happy with Notts.

Couple of points:

1. School name has no bearing- it's the predicted scores. Which are also vague cause Shruti got rejected form UCL cause her predicted weren't high enough even though her predicted scores were above the required ones.

2. Write a very very good PS, has a lot of bearing.

3. Don't limit yourself to Oxford/Kings- Chose between Oxford, Cambridge, King's, UCL, LSE, Durham, Nottingham for your 5.

4. I did intern in a law firm, and it isn't impossible to find a place! Firms do take you on, a little research is required Maybe go through your school. VNS had a program with trilegal- otherwise try other sources. If not, intern at a bank, ngo- on their legal team. This can add immensely to your PS, and your application.

Just inbox on facebook if you need any help!
amol_chalis447
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inika)
Haha HI Amol! Can't believe I found you here. :P
I've firmed Nottingham, tbh its law school is as good as King's, King's has a one up cause of the name and cause it's in London. But recent surveys are putting it on par with KCL. So i'm really happy I did get rejected from King's, and they were very vague- apparently there weren't any places left to make me an offer although my application was considered until 2 days before the deadline. I was disappointed, but I'm more than happy with Notts.

Couple of points:

1. School name has no bearing- it's the predicted scores. Which are also vague cause Shruti got rejected form UCL cause her predicted weren't high enough even though her predicted scores were above the required ones.

2. Write a very very good PS, has a lot of bearing.

3. Don't limit yourself to Oxford/Kings- Chose between Oxford, Cambridge, King's, UCL, LSE, Durham, Nottingham for your 5.

4. I did intern in a law firm, and it isn't impossible to find a place! Firms do take you on, a little research is required Maybe go through your school. VNS had a program with trilegal- otherwise try other sources. If not, intern at a bank, ngo- on their legal team. This can add immensely to your PS, and your application.

Just inbox on facebook if you need any help!
Hi Ini!

Well then I'm glad, because I just chose Notts over Durham a few days back

I only mentioned King's and Oxford because those are my top choices. My others are LSE, UCL and Notts but the first two don't seem likely at all and I'd prefer King's over Notts.

My predicted will be either 94 or 95. I'm not sure how far that'll take me. I've started working on my PS though obviously it requires a lot more drafts.

I did manage to get an internship finally, started talking to people, and it starts towards the end of June and works really well for me, and it's at a pretty good firm, too. I'm really glad about that! Unfortunately school didn't have any tie ups.

Do you mind sending me your PS on Facebook so I can have a look?

Thanks a bunch, and congrats on Notts!
Inika
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Ini!

Well then I'm glad, because I just chose Notts over Durham a few days back

I only mentioned King's and Oxford because those are my top choices. My others are LSE, UCL and Notts but the first two don't seem likely at all and I'd prefer King's over Notts.

My predicted will be either 94 or 95. I'm not sure how far that'll take me. I've started working on my PS though obviously it requires a lot more drafts.

I did manage to get an internship finally, started talking to people, and it starts towards the end of June and works really well for me, and it's at a pretty good firm, too. I'm really glad about that! Unfortunately school didn't have any tie ups.

Do you mind sending me your PS on Facebook so I can have a look?

Thanks a bunch, and congrats on Notts!

Haha thanks Where are you going to be interning?
I actually preferred Notts because its so much more affordable than a London uni. Keep that in mind too.

When I get to my laptop I will. I had to format it recently, so I'm not too sure where a bunch of files are. When I find it I'll send it to you. And you have a LOT of time :P I Only started working on my application in October. You have till Jan to send it
Shruti2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hey,
I was at HMUN too last year! Which committee were you in?

And yes, UCAS has space only for your 10th grades and predicted grades for the 12th. If you add the SATs under the section for educational qualifications along with your 10th and 12th board exams, you can insert those scores too. There's no harm in putting them in your application anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.86%
No (504)
66.14%

Watched Threads