appropriate way of doing results section Watch

This discussion is closed.
groovz1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
In my experiment i looked at peoples guesses of how many beans were in a jar (to see if gender makes a difference). I have come to writing up the results sections and im really confused. I know i need to look at central tendency and measures of dispersion, but apparently mode and meanwould not be suitable because of the type of data. Does anyone know what you would call this data and explain why i cant do mean and mode?

Thanx!!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by groovz1)
In my experiment i looked at peoples guesses of how many beans were in a jar (to see if gender makes a difference). I have come to writing up the results sections and im really confused. I know i need to look at central tendency and measures of dispersion, but apparently mode and meanwould not be suitable because of the type of data. Does anyone know what you would call this data and explain why i cant do mean and mode?

Thanx!!
because some of the guesses would be really far apart from each other
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The results that are far apart are extreme values. What level is it for (GCSE?), as there are different ways of using them.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think the data is nominal. ia it an independant or repeated design?
groovz1
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
the data is ordinal apparently. its for my a level cw so i gotta use all the posh words and its confusing!!!!thanx for your help but i still confused!its independent measures
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads