The Student Room Group

For those of you that participated in group work in university share your experiences

Scroll to see replies

The only people who like group are the people who do nothing! It has only been bearable when I got to choose who to work with, which has not been often.
Original post by MUN123
Did you enjoy it?

Do you think that doing group work for university assignments, is actually useful for the world of work?

Universities claim that group work actually prepares you for work, do you agree or disagree?

Yes, sometimes I do enjoy it, other times it is a nightmare.

If you have a good group and everyone pulls their weight, then I think it works well. It's been great when someone has an idea I would have never thought of, for instance, or to generally reduce the workload as it's shared between people.

Other times people haven't pulled their weight, or otherwise pulled your own mark down if everyone gets equal marks (e.g. a few people volunteered to be speakers for a group presentation we did whilst others focused more on the content/research. They had 3 mins of speech each and were reading it off a sheet covering their faces!! )

Does it prepare me for work? I'd say, yes. Having had multiple part time jobs since the age of 16, I would say it teaches you how to deal with annoying people you have to work with :s-smilie: and get used to the fact that not everyone pulls their weight even in the workplace! However, I would say a bit of group work is fine, but not too much!!

Quick Reply