cem5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I know I posted this before but I think I may have posted it on the wrong place so I will go ahead and re-post

I was accepted to both the LSE MSc Accounting and Finance as well as Imperial MSc Finance and can't really make up my mind. My goal is to go into IB after the program.

Can anybody help me with some pros and cons?
alexba91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
it really depends on which department of IB you want to get in. Msc finance at imperial is a really quantitative program, even if not as much as the Msc financial engineering. Even if somebody from this master go straight in M&A division, a great percentage of the students have a work in sales and structuring. On the other hand Lse Accounting and Finance is the oldest finance-related master at Lse, so has a really strong reputation in the city, even if recruiters know that is less selective than the MSc finance and MSc finance and Economics. These two programs are also more quantitative. Msc Accounting and Finance is perfect for a role in M&A and in corporate banking, where knowledge in accounting is a requirement. After all, congrats for your great offers, may you share your profile?
cem5
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexba91)
it really depends on which department of IB you want to get in. Msc finance at imperial is a really quantitative program, even if not as much as the Msc financial engineering. Even if somebody from this master go straight in M&A division, a great percentage of the students have a work in sales and structuring. On the other hand Lse Accounting and Finance is the oldest finance-related master at Lse, so has a really strong reputation in the city, even if recruiters know that is less selective than the MSc finance and MSc finance and Economics. These two programs are also more quantitative. Msc Accounting and Finance is perfect for a role in M&A and in corporate banking, where knowledge in accounting is a requirement. After all, congrats for your great offers, may you share your profile?
Thank you for the help. My goal is to go straight to the M&A division.

I am from the United States
Top 20 University
3.7/4.0 GPA
1 internship at BB in NYC
alexba91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cem5)
Thank you for the help. My goal is to go straight to the M&A division.

I am from the United States
Top 20 University
3.7/4.0 GPA
1 internship at BB in NYC
If M&A is your goal,i consider Msc Accounting and finance at Lse the best master you could find in eu.
cem5
Rep:
?
If M&A is your goal,i consider Msc Accounting and finance at Lse the best master you could find in eu.
Thank you alexba91!

Anybody else have anything else to add?
Ason Unique
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
There are no cons expect for the potential "waste" of time and money that naturally comes with pursuing a MSc Finance. Both are top programs and will land you interviews (especially as you already have a BB internship). As said by the first response the main difference is that the Imperial program focuses on quantitative finance and is better for S&T while LSE Accounting and Finance is obviously ideal for M&A- it really should not be a question if you are more interested in corporate finance.
lego
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In terms of coursework - definitely. In terms of actual placement in M&A - not at all.
Ason Unique
Badges: 2
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lego)
In terms of coursework - definitely. In terms of actual placement in M&A - not at all.
Well yes but considering that it wouldn't have worse placement than anywhere else in the EU (expect for maybe Oxford MFE/Cambridge MPhil), that statement would still hold true given the level of M&A-relevant coursework.
lego
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Uhm, no...
If you define placement in M&A as the percentage of the class who gets a M&A offer, LSE A&F wouldn't even be top 10 for MSc programs in Europe. Most like it will be top 10 for placement in London, but that's it.
alexba91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lego)
Uhm, no...
If you define placement in M&A as the percentage of the class who gets a M&A offer, LSE A&F wouldn't even be top 10 for MSc programs in Europe. Most like it will be top 10 for placement in London, but that's it.
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/Caree...Gems/Home.aspx Actually i was talking about coursework, but I still think that is one the best also for placement. Here you can find all the statistics about this course. I was talking not only about M&A but also corporate banking. MSc finance and Msc finance and economics are much more quantitative. Students coming from Mphil at Cambridge usually go on with a phd and those studying at imperial have quantitative roles. May you list the european masters with a better placement than this?
lego
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am in the A&F programme and I will actually have exams on these courses in about 2 weeks... You telling me which course is more or less quantitative is absurd...
E&F = Core Econ courses + A&F's finance electives
A&F = Core A&F courses + A&F's finance electives + Accounting courses
If you want you can do absolutely the same electives in A&F and E&F
Whereas MSc Finance courses are not available for the rest of the university.
Plus A&F and E&F require a prior A&F/Econ degree, whereas you can do the MSc Finance with a bachelors in BA Art History.
From E&F's page on LSE's website:
"Applicants should have a strong undergraduate training in quantitative subjects such as economics, maths, physics, engineering, finance or business and wish to specialize in financial economics."
Furthermore:
"Students interested in a finance-related MSc with a less analytical orientation should consider the MSc Finance (full-time) programme."
From A&F's page on LSE's website:
"The MSc assumes an academic background in the following subjects prior to entry to the programme: financial reporting, management accounting, finance, economics and quantitative methods."
From MSc Finance's page on LSE's website:
"The programme offers high level graduates, whose backgrounds may not necessarily be in finance, a unique opportunity to gain a comprehensive foundation and subsequent depth in the field."
It's pretty obvious that if you choose only finance electives in A&F (as most people do) in terms of quantitativeness, it's E&F>A&F>Finance
That being said if you don't like numbers you can do a joke of an A&F degree if you choose your electives wisely. Like:
CF&AM (1 unit), Management Accounting (1unit), Leadership in Organisations (0.5 unit), Law of International Economic and Financial Sanctions (0.5 unit), 1 unit in any course in the university - you can take psychology if you want.
So, no, MSc Finance is not more quantitative then A&F. It can be, but not necessarily, it all depends on electives.

And to your second question: Everyone and their mother wants to work in IB at LSE. A&F might very well be outside the top5 in M&A placement in LSE alone. I'm not saying that this is the case for sure, but it's quite possible.
Also, M&A is not just BB in London. French universities place plenty of students in Paris, German universities in Frankfurt, etc... That's why you can't be sure that A&F is top10 in Europe in terms of % of students who end up in M&A.
nitestar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can only second that. The MSc in Accounting and Finance at LSE is the best master in the EU. The department of accounting is probably on par with Harvard and the likes.

Check this:

http://www.topuniversities.com/cours...unting-finance

The A&F Master has been the traditional M&A Master for more than 20 years, Now in terms of placement, this is highly relative issue. It takes much MORE than just a Master degree to get into M&A... a degree alone, whether from LSE or Imperial or even Cambridge won't get you far! You have to have work experience...
music2love
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lse acc & finance is very prestigious, however yeah the post above is correct you need work experience!
massylib
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
go for lse my bro. it is the best accounting and finance master out ther
ibdprincess
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any1 else who has applied to this great programme? Chances are slim but still will try my luck with the A&F:rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads