The Student Room Group

I pick things up then I put them down..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by areebmazhar
Thanks and first plate seems still quite far away yet! By christmas hopefully..

Be optimistic. I'm chasing 20kg by Christmas. Fat chance but it's motivating to have a target.
Thanks and first plate seems still quite far away yet! By christmas hopefully..

Easy. You'll be smashing 60 out like it's nothing by xmas...

I'm hoping for 100*5 by then which is a rise of 15kg over my current 5RM and i've been training for longer and so my lifts go up slower...
Original post by Motorbiker
Easy. You'll be smashing 60 out like it's nothing by xmas...

I'm hoping for 100*5 by then which is a rise of 15kg over my current 5RM and i've been training for longer and so my lifts go up slower...

Original post by silent ninja
Be optimistic. I'm chasing 20kg by Christmas. Fat chance but it's motivating to have a target.

Original post by Mark85
You'll defo get it by Xmas I reckon. 10kg seems a lot but think of four 2.5kg increases.

Thanks guys, I'm going to change my goals I think because I like to aim high and tbh my current goals are quite low to say I still have 11 weeks till I achieve them, so first post has been updated :smile:
Watching. I too have been dealt with rubbish genetics but stick with it! As others have said, aim high!
Original post by RobJ93
Watching. I too have been dealt with rubbish genetics but stick with it! As others have said, aim high!

Thanks, been following your blog for quite some time now and you've made awesome progress for your genetics, hopefully I'll be there one day!
(edited 11 years ago)
Front squats
20kg 1x7
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
55kg 3x5

OHP
20kg 1x5
33.6kg 4 3 2
Back at old gym today and unfortunately they only have 4lb plates as their lowest weight, so it equals about 33.6kg in total. Pretty happy with the result though as I think I only got 5 4 3 on 32kg so still decent progress.

DL
50kg 1x5
60kg 1x3
70kg 1x1
85kg 1x5
A few weeks ago when I was on around 70/75 kg my double-overhand grip started failing me, so I switched to hook grip and now that was starting to fail me on 85kg. Really need to get my weak grip problem sorted any advice would be much appreciated :smile:
Front squats
20kg 1x7
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
55kg 3x5

OHP
20kg 1x5
33.6kg 4 3 2
Back at old gym today and unfortunately they only have 4lb plates as their lowest weight, so it equals about 33.6kg in total. Pretty happy with the result though as I think I only got 5 4 3 on 32kg so still decent progress.

DL
50kg 1x5
60kg 1x3
70kg 1x1
85kg 1x5
A few weeks ago when I was on around 70/75 kg my double-overhand grip started failing me, so I switched to hook grip and now that was starting to fail me on 85kg. Really need to get my weak grip problem sorted any advice would be much appreciated :smile:

Chalk, chalk and more chalk. Power cleans are pretty good for grip strength as well.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by RobJ93
Chalk, chalk and more chalk. Power cleans are pretty good for grip strength as well.

Thanks for the help. The thing is though would chalk just hide my grip weakness rather than address it?
Well done Areeb :smile:
Original post by AspiringGenius
Well done Areeb :smile:

Thanks a lot bro!
Thanks for the help. The thing is though would chalk just hide my grip weakness rather than address it?

Well grip is always going to be the weak point of a DL. You still have to grip the bar as tight but it reduces the amount that the bar slips

Original post by RobJ93
Well grip is always going to be the weak point of a DL. You still have to grip the bar as tight but it reduces the amount that the bar slips

Cheers buddy :smile:
Really need to get some regular cardio going as well, atm the only cardio I'm getting is wrestling with gym supervisor every now and then.

On a side note the black eye I got from todays wrestle is not going to look good tomorrow when I go on home visits to patients :/

Nope, Chalk just helps you show your actual grip strength. It just takes away sweaty hand effect.

If you want something to hide your grip weakness then the answer to that is Straps but i wouldn't worry about them sub 200kg... I managed 210 raised Trap bar deads no straps and failed 220 and then a week later got like 3 at 220 with straps.

Sweaty hands are not a weakness. Chalk doesn't make you stronger, it just gives you the ability to apply your grip and strength more effectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Nope, Chalk just helps you show your actual grip strength. It just takes away sweaty hand effect.

If you want something to hide your grip weakness then the answer to that is Straps but i wouldn't worry about them sub 200kg... I managed 210 raised Trap bar deads no straps and failed 220 and then a week later got like 3 at 220 with straps.

Thanks, looks like I need to get some chalk then, so I can start increasing my DL :smile:
Sweaty hands are not a weakness. Chalk doesn't make you stronger, it just gives you the ability to apply your grip and strength more effectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense now, I thought they were like straps as in they just hide your grip weakness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what's your view on liquid vs solid chalk, my brothers buying some with his strength shop vouchers and just wondering if there is a significant difference?
And what's your view on liquid vs solid chalk, my brothers buying some with his strength shop vouchers and just wondering if there is a significant difference?

Liquid chalk is bloody amazing. It's a lot less messy than powder chalk but it's still chalk so it'll brush off everywhere. Liquid chalk dries and looks and feels exactly like normal chalk. It's easier to carry too, usually in a compact bottle.
Liquid chalk is bloody amazing. It's a lot less messy than powder chalk but it's still chalk so it'll brush off everywhere. Liquid chalk dries and looks and feels exactly like normal chalk. It's easier to carry too, usually in a compact bottle.

Ha must get the liquid version then on your recommendation :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest