The Student Room Group

Go back to work and get bullied or become unemployed with no money

I resigned from my job a few months ago, although I have a chance to go back in June.

However, I got bullied in my job to an extent where I am now clinically depressed and have no self-esteem. Nothing has changed at my workplace, the same bullies still work there, and nothing leads me to believe it will be any different this time round.

However, I am running out of money, and as I resigned from my job I am not eligible for JSA so until I eventually find work, I run the risk of actually becoming bankrupt by the end of 2013 if I don't manage to find a new job.

My pride tells me that I would rather have no money than go back to that horrible workplace and get bullied again by people that quite frankly I don't respect anyway.

But we are nothing without money. :s-smilie:

What do you think I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't you find a another job? I'd go back to work and work there until you can find another job. Morale of the story, don't impulsively quit because of bullies, look for work before quitting!
Find some way to prove they're bullying you? Take it to management. If the management does nothing, or he's involved, take him to a tribuneral?
Reply 3
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I resigned from my job a few months ago, although I have a chance to go back in June.

However, I got bullied in my job to an extent where I am now clinically depressed and have no self-esteem. Nothing has changed at my workplace, the same bullies still work there, and nothing leads me to believe it will be any different this time round.

However, I am running out of money, and as I resigned from my job I am not eligible for JSA so until I eventually find work, I run the risk of actually becoming bankrupt by the end of 2013 if I don't manage to find a new job.

My pride tells me that I would rather have no money than go back to that horrible workplace and get bullied again by people that quite frankly I don't respect anyway.

But we are nothing without money. :s-smilie:

What do you think I should do?

Put in a complaint/sue the business because you've been forced out if your job due to others actions

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you can claim constructive dismissal if you have to resign because you are being bullied and the management aren't doing anything to help. Talk to them and explain why you are hesitant about coming back. They should help you.
Reply 5
What exactly are they doing?
Original post by Runninground
I think you can claim constructive dismissal if you have to resign because you are being bullied and the management aren't doing anything to help. Talk to them and explain why you are hesitant about coming back. They should help you.

Not really possible in my workplace because I would get even more embarrassed by admitting that I am being bullied.

It's a nasty place.
Not really possible in my workplace because I would get even more embarrassed by admitting that I am being bullied.

It's a nasty place.

Well you don't have many options:

1. Go back, get paid, get bullied.
2. Go back, get paid, tell management you're being bullied.
3. Don't go back, don't get paid, don't get bullied, have no money.

Why don't you go back and work so you get money, but look for another job at the same time.

Why would you be more embarrassed ?
Reply 8
Original post by Miracle Day
Find some way to prove they're bullying you? Take it to management. If the management does nothing, or he's involved, take him to a tribuneral?

tribunal
go to a trade union
Original post by iamgreatness
go to a trade union

What would they do about it?

All they will suggest is write a retroactive diary of all the things that happen (which I could just make up, anyway).
Reply 11
Not returning to work shows the bullies that they have got to you. Don't let them win.

Go back, see what they do and if they're still behaving badly, an eye for an eye.

Or just report them to senior management.
Reply 12
Btw, what are the bullies doing?
Original post by Michaelj
Btw, what are the bullies doing?

Silent treatment, exclusion, bitching, spreading rumours, making me upset, belittling me, putting me down, commenting on everything I do wrong, making up stories, politicking, rumour-mongering,...

Some of the rumours ruin my credibility, such as rumours about sexuality.
Reply 14
I recall you used to work at Sainsburys? I remember seeing you in the Sainsbury's thread, and didn't you leave to go travelling, rather than resigning because of the bullying, although I'm sure it played a large part. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not intentionally trying to sound like an ********.

You used to say that you didn't want to transfer to another store because you didn't want to be the new guy at your new store, so you stayed at the apparently quite poisonous atmosphere at your store. Now that you resigned, why not just apply to another store, you'll be a lot more likely to get the job over someone who is untrained/never had a job etc, and you'll have a fresh start, and you won't need to be unemployed and burning through our remaining money.
Original post by Zubby77
I recall you used to work at Sainsburys? I remember seeing you in the Sainsbury's thread, and didn't you leave to go travelling, rather than resigning because of the bullying, although I'm sure it played a large part. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not intentionally trying to sound like an ********.

You used to say that you didn't want to transfer to another store because you didn't want to be the new guy at your new store, so you stayed at the apparently quite poisonous atmosphere at your store. Now that you resigned, why not just apply to another store, you'll be a lot more likely to get the job over someone who is untrained/never had a job etc, and you'll have a fresh start, and you won't need to be unemployed and burning through our remaining money.

Without a reference I am doomed.
Silent treatment, exclusion, bitching, spreading rumours, making me upset, belittling me, putting me down, commenting on everything I do wrong, making up stories, politicking, rumour-mongering,...

Some of the rumours ruin my credibility, such as rumours about sexuality.

I got a similar treatment at my old job as I worked in coffee shop and only two staff members would be on shift at one time. The supervisor (the one other one on the floor) would be REALLY nasty to me and say things like: 'i'm not surprised that your mum goes away without you' and 'Apparently you came in with a hangover last week and was sick, but do you know the funniest thing? Who would want to go out drinking with you?'

Rumours would go around and everyone bitched about everyone. But do you know what? I stuck it out for 18 months (I had to quit as I got glandular fever) as I knew that these low lives was going to spend the rest of their lives there and had nothing else to do but to pick on an 18-year-old student.

Go back, get on with your job and then have a nice weekend doing what you like as you've got the money. It's easier to get a job if you've got a job so go back and try to get a new job or change stores.
Original post by tehforum
tribunal

Tribunal.

Checkmate.
Reply 18
Original post by Miracle Day
Tribunal.

Checkmate.

Awks.

I did it on purpose.

You know I have flawless grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Derp.
Reply 19
Without a reference I am doomed.

I think you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something about it. Yes they sounded like dicks at your last place but what do you stand to lose from trying to go somewhere else? I'm not completely sure about how references work but I'm pretty sure that on your reference rather than giving a damning, bad review, they're more likely to just give a bog standard plain review. Although that's not great it's better than nothing and I'm assuming that you're expecting a poor reference to be what's stopping you from getting a job elsewhere?

But as I say, I don't understand why you're limiting yourself to going back to your crappy job or just bumming around unemployed. There's always other places to look for jobs, or even go about doing stuff that will make you more employable elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending