How do you become a football manager without playing football?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ElLeonNino
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've wanted to be a football manager for a long time now but don't know how to become one, so how do you become one without actually being a professional footballer or in the footballing circle?
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
do coaching badges, start off somewhere small and work your way up. odds are massively stacked against you but you might end up as a technical assistant somewhere, which is a decent gig.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how many managers have never had any form of professional contract as a player ? ( even if it was just schoolboy or academy)
Aky786UK
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Villas-Boas played nothing of the game, not even at junior level. He's a great example, passed his coaching badges at 17, worked with Jose Mourinho etc, hasn't done too bad for himself.
craglyboy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Villas-Boas played nothing of the game, not even at junior level. He's a great example, passed his coaching badges at 17, worked with Jose Mourinho etc, hasn't done too bad for himself.
They are the absolute exception, if you play professionally they encourage players to get their badges because players don't have a lot of tranferable skills so they try to encourage then to think about life after playing.

If you are just trying to get your badges off your own back it's incredibly expensive, I think for the first FA qualification it's like 350 quid, and to manage a proffeeional team you really need to attain uefa badges, and the premier league requires you to have uefa A coaching badge.

Vilas boas truly excelled and has worked hard to get where he is a true inspiration to anyone wanting to get into that side of the game but he is the absolute exception. Alsot look up his scout report for Newcastle when he was at Chelsea as a scout its quite interesting.

Mourinho was lucky in the sense that he had bobby Robson as a mentor to get him into managerial roles.
ElLeonNino
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zürich)
do coaching badges, start off somewhere small and work your way up. odds are massively stacked against you but you might end up as a technical assistant somewhere, which is a decent gig.
So there is absolutely no chance for me to get noticed?
I'm asian aswell and theres not that many non-white managers in the football league so that would stack against me
Pendulum3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ElLeonNino)
I'm asian aswell and theres not that many non-white managers in the football league so that would stack against me
Charlton Athletic manager is black, so is the Norwich City one, and there one Asian manager called Nas Bashir for Hayes and Yeading, but I don't think a persons racial background should affect them, but you have to admit, there's not many asian footballers.
ElLeonNino
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pendulum3)
Charlton Athletic manager is black, so is the Norwich City one, and there one Asian manager called Nas Bashir for Hayes and Yeading, but I don't think a persons racial background should affect them, but you have to admit, there's not many asian footballers.
Yes i know that but they're a minority. In the PL there is only one black manager. In context the amount of coloured managers in the the english league out of 92 clubs is quite shocking...
billshankly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Who cares if your black? You could be the first black manager to win the Barclays Premier League! Don't pull yourself down!

I want to get into football management, and I have doubters including my Dad and my Nan, and alot of my friends laugh when I say I want to become a football manager. I just don't listen to them, and when you are the next big thing, you can think back, and say, nobody can stop me from what I want to do, and they won't be laughing anymore.

I don't have any football playing experience, but I watch ALOT of football. I like to give myself a little bit of practice, as I usually like to predict team line-ups, and tactics. I also like to analyse a football game, and I make notes, etc.

Just take up some voluntary jobs, and take courses at the same time. The first one costs £50-80, and allows you to automatically manage in non-league football, and the second and third course, will let you manage in the football league and that will cost an overall of around £1,000, for all three courses, and will provide you with lots of experience.

If your in Year 9, and are choosing your options, it helps if you take up P.E, Sports science, and possibly Psychology, as they are all very important for taking up football management.

P.S maybe you can become my assistant manager when we both hit the big time!

Good luck though mate, and remember to never, ever let anyone pull you down! Just keep telling yourself, to go out their and prove them wrong!
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the way the game is going there will be more top managers that have not had careers as professional players. Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez were not great players and as has been pointed out above AVB did not play professionally at all. The big advantage that these guys that don't make it as players and start coaching young have over their managerial rivals that have had careers as professionals is they have many years start on them. Eg a guy who is 36 who started coaching aged 22 has 14 years experience whereas a guy who has just retired as a professional might have had a year or two by that point.

Unfortunately what ruins a lot of top professional players' chances as a manager is they get their top flight chance too early because of who they are, and they are still very raw as a manager and make mistakes, they make a balls up of their first big job and then its curtains.

For a long time football was a closed shop where coaching and managerial jobs go to guys that had big names as players but that is starting to die out of the game, and especially at the top clubs. Smaller Premiership clubs or Championship clubs will give jobs to guys like Keane, Hughes, Bruce but can you see one of the top teams doing this? Would Arsenal appoint say Tony Adams or Steve Bould to replace Wenger or would Chelsea appoint Dennis Wise or Zola? Chelsea did give Di Matteo a go - as caretaker only - and then ditched him a few months after winning the Champions League!

In Alex Ferguson's book he says that now his advice to players that want to get in to coaching is they have to start doing their badges etc as early as they can, don't wait till they are retired as players else it will be too late.

I think for somebody that hasn't played professionally but wants to become a manager, it will be difficult for a while to be taken seriously in England or Scotland because the culture at lower levels is still in favour of jobs for the boys however there may be more opportunities abroad.

If you want to be a manager I think you would have to:

- do all the coaching courses (they are expensive so this is a major lifestyle choice)
- learn one or two European languages
- coach junior teams, womens teams, get experience at amateur level
- try and get experience coaching abroad
- when you have a lot of badges you can be taken more credibly and see if you can approach clubs, national football organisations etc to get some work or work experience in the serious game
- network and get taken under the wing of some serious professional coaches

I think football is changing now with things like sports analytics starting to play more and more a part: Man City are big on this at the moment. The old dinosaurs of "show us yer medals" will die out over time. I think to be successful as a manager in the future you have to be right on top of how the game is changing, understand sports analytics, understand different footballing systems and how the game has evolved over time and how it is evolving. Really it is like any other business where you have to stay right at the cutting edge to be at the top.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
Unfortunately what ruins a lot of top professional players' chances as a manager is they get their top flight chance too early because of who they are, and they are still very raw as a manager and make mistakes, they make a balls up of their first big job and then its curtains.
Only people I can think of is Guardiola who got his first big job at Barcelona to achieve incredible things. 14 trophies in 4 years I think it was. Reason why big name players fail to adjust to management is mentality. As a player, they focus on training, playing football, other activities outside the game and that's it. They can't make that transition into management where as a manager you have to be consumed by the game all the time. Guardiola spent a couple of years travelling the world to Argentina (where he spent time with Bielsa) discussing the game. Even recently, Bayern president (Hoeness or Rumenigge) said that after Bayern's win at Dortmund, on the journey home Pep had a laptop open ready to work on the next match. It's that dedication and commitment that sees top players succeed in management.

Alot of players might have managerial aspirations but they want it too soon too quickly. Get your badges, retire then go into management and they get a job purely on their playing name. It'd be better if they got their badges, retired, worked as a number two or an assistant for 2-3 years before going for a top job because at least then they are being employed for their reputation as a coach than a player.
Enoxial
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've wanted to be a football manager for a long time now but don't know how to become one, so how do you become one without actually being a professional footballer or in the footballing circle?
There is Manager mode is FIFA13 you know...
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Buy copy of Football Manager.
Win the Premier League with Crawley Town.
Put result on CV and send to football clubs.
Job sorted.
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Change your mindset and things won't look as bleak.

Your behaviour and body language will affect how you look to others.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Only people I can think of is Guardiola who got his first big job at Barcelona to achieve incredible things. 14 trophies in 4 years I think it was. Reason why big name players fail to adjust to management is mentality. As a player, they focus on training, playing football, other activities outside the game and that's it. They can't make that transition into management where as a manager you have to be consumed by the game all the time. Guardiola spent a couple of years travelling the world to Argentina (where he spent time with Bielsa) discussing the game. Even recently, Bayern president (Hoeness or Rumenigge) said that after Bayern's win at Dortmund, on the journey home Pep had a laptop open ready to work on the next match. It's that dedication and commitment that sees top players succeed in management.
Yes Guardiola is a good example of a top player that moved fairly easily in to being a top manager but I think this is part of the Barcelona way: I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen with other players from Barca in the future.

At Barca players get a great education in football and are taught to think about the game, about systems, movement, not just about individual skills. Guardiola came through the youth system at Barca and he was educated by Johan Cruyff who promoted him to the first team young and he won the European Cup and three La Liga titles in his first three or four seasons.

The way Barca play today is an evolution of the Cruyff style and the way the young players are taught to play as juniors, so its much easier for someone from within to step up and continue the evolution, it would be hard for a top manager from outside to come in and his different methods clash with Barca's methods.

Liverpool and the Boot Room of Shankly and Paisley did this for a while and it worked with Dalglish but the danger with this type of continuity is if it is not constantly evolving to stay ahead of the game, it gets overtaken. Dalglish didn't do enough to spot how Alex Ferguson was taking the game forwards at United and Liverpool got left behind.

Actually on the point of Liverpool - Brendan Rodgers is another that didn't play professionally. He played non league for a bit in his 20s but was already coaching at Reading from the age of 20.
Dr DaMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's pretty much impossible. Professional footballers are encouraged to do coaching badges so they have to something to bring in the money after retirement. You'd have to do all the FA coaching badges which are not only ridiculously expensive but you'd also be heavily biased against, the coaches would be likely to treat the ex pro's a lot more leniently and give more guidance. On top of that, you'd need to be the luckiest man alive.
ElGenioEstúpido
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
Change your mindset and things won't look as bleak.

Your behaviour and body language will affect how you look to others.
This. I think any club would hire me, about 24 trophies won in 5 years for Barcelona to this date....
AnonymousManager
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was actually Sir Bobby Robson that got Villas Boas into Management, Villas Boas lived in the same apartment block as him when Sir Bobby was at Porto FC and one day Villas Boas stopped Sir Bobby in the hallway and confronted him as to why he wasn't playing his favourite player that time, Sir Bobby was that impressed with what the young guy was saying that he took him on as a Youth Coach at Porto and then Sent him to England to attain his badges under the guidance of George Burnley then Ipswich manager.

How Villas Boas got that job was through the passion of the game, he used to play Championship Manager as a Kid, he used to instead of doing work in class, sketch formations down on paper and slide them under Sir Bobby's door, and sometimes, Sir Bobby used them in games, thats what he was impressed with, his knowledge, if you generally believe that you understand the game well enough and believe that you can compete as a professional manager then nothing stops you from doing that, money might be an issue but at the end of the day half the managers start work at 35, so you might still have some time to save up.

Im the same as you, but I know i'll be up there, because I know way to much about the game, it's not arrogance, its honesty, I know what to do, I know how to teach it, I know how to produce the level of football that is expected. Why? Because of the same passion that Villas Boas felt when speaking to Sir Bobby.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousManager)
It was actually Sir Bobby Robson that got Villas Boas into Management, Villas Boas lived in the same apartment block as him when Sir Bobby was at Porto FC and one day Villas Boas stopped Sir Bobby in the hallway and confronted him as to why he wasn't playing his favourite player that time, Sir Bobby was that impressed with what the young guy was saying that he took him on as a Youth Coach at Porto and then Sent him to England to attain his badges under the guidance of George Burnley then Ipswich manager.

How Villas Boas got that job was through the passion of the game, he used to play Championship Manager as a Kid, he used to instead of doing work in class, sketch formations down on paper and slide them under Sir Bobby's door, and sometimes, Sir Bobby used them in games, thats what he was impressed with, his knowledge, if you generally believe that you understand the game well enough and believe that you can compete as a professional manager then nothing stops you from doing that, money might be an issue but at the end of the day half the managers start work at 35, so you might still have some time to save up.

Im the same as you, but I know i'll be up there, because I know way to much about the game, it's not arrogance, its honesty, I know what to do, I know how to teach it, I know how to produce the level of football that is expected. Why? Because of the same passion that Villas Boas felt when speaking to Sir Bobby.
You also have to give praise for Mourinho also. This is partially the reason why AVB and Mourinho fell out (but it seems they are on more friendlier terms after the former's sacking at Spurs) because AVB hasn't sufficiently acknowledged Jose's role.

AVB's success would not have happened had Sir Bobby not nudged AVB towards JM but also for JM to let him do the scouting (and do it really, really well) which saw Jose win trophies at Porto, Chelsea and Inter. That's alot of knowledge working with a successful coach whose methodology AVB certainly must have used.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (0)
0%
Take autumn exams (5)
71.43%
Look for a job (0)
0%
Consider an apprenticeship (0)
0%
Take a year out (2)
28.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads