The Student Room Group

C2 Integration

For

part (b) I got the area under the curve to be 11/6 which is correct according to the mark scheme but when finding the area of r, it subtracts 3/2 from the area under the curve. Is that because the line is 3/2?
Original post by Secret.

Is that because the line is 3/2?

It's because the area under the straight line between A and B is 3/2.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
It's because the area under the straight line between A and B is 3/2.

Did they work that out through integration? Or for all straight lines of this sort will it be the same as the y intercept?
Reply 3
Original post by Secret.
Did they work that out through integration? Or for all straight lines of this sort will it be the same as the y intercept?

No, It might help to draw on the diagram. i.e. Draw on what area you find by integrating the function between A and B, then you will be able to see what you need to take away to find R.
Reply 4
Original post by Secret.

It's just a rectangle.
Reply 5
Original post by NJam
No, It might help to draw on the diagram. i.e. Draw on what area you find by integrating the function between A and B, then you will be able to see what you need to take away to find R.

Aah yeah, the area of the rectangle between the points is 3/2. Thanks!
Reply 6
find area under the curve between a and b then find the Y values of A and B (both the same) find the area of the rectangle of A to B then take that away from the area under the curve to leave R

Quick Reply

Latest