The Student Room Group

Britain the 51st State?

Poll

Should Britain become the 51st State of the USA?

I am fascinated by the USA and would love to be American and think that Britain should immediately become a part if the most powerful and influential nation on Earth (rather than surrendering to Brussles). Do you agree with my statement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Puerto Rico will probably get there first.
To re-purpose a truly awful song;

We...are never ever...joining America. Like...EVER.
Reply 3
i voted yes, just because there was 0 votes for this...but in reality, no.
Original post by DeanFoley

You go talk to Canada, talk to France, to Germany. But weee
Reply 5
God no, I wish we would join with Australia but then all the immigrants would go their (im polish so like no racism yeah?) however I dont care as Ive got an australian citizenship anyway.
Or maybe America should become a British Overseas Territory?

Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
actually genuinely offended that people would even think of letting america claim the united kingdom as theirs
Hell no. Aside from kind of sharing a language, the cultural differences between the UK and the US are far too great.
Reply 9
That would never happen and I'm so glad it won't. America is only great if you look at it from it's whole "American Dream" and it's popular cities.
You are a frightful man OP.
Tbf, even if we were the 51st state, the rest of the USA wouldn't like us, because we'd have considerably influence over the USA. How many other states have 60,000,000 people living in it? I voted no, but on the plus side, we'd be able to basically control the USA :smile: - purely due to numbers
Reply 12
Whilst we have some similar trends in culture and language, there's a huge gap between American and British society - we're no more a part of the American national community then they are part of Britain's national community.

Plus, if we were to join the USA as a state, we'd have to abolish the Monarchy, Parliamentary democracy, surrender our economic and military sovereignty to Washington and complete re-gut our legal system.

It's perfectly possible to be close allies with a state without having to actually become a full part of that nation.
Original post by Eloquai
Whilst we have some similar trends in culture and language, there's a huge gap between American and British society - we're no more a part of the American national community then they are part of Britain's national community.

But then Washington culture and Florida culture and Oklahoma culture are all very different. Playing devil's advocate here, I don't actually agree with it :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by cant_think_of_name
But then Washington culture and Florida culture and Oklahoma culture are all very different. Playing devil's advocate here, I don't actually agree with it :tongue:

The union of the states was founded though the commonalities of several shared principles, and arguably that's come to include the shared historical and political experience that each state will have as a constituent part of the American nation.

Britain and British values and customs are... some way out of that American orbit :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by DeanFoley

This

except.... I like the song :P
Israel is the 51st state.
Reply 17
Original post by Silent Witness

Ladies and gentlemen, "that" guy
Reply 18
Original post by 002
I am fascinated by the USA and would love to be American and think that Britain should immediately become a part if the most powerful and influential nation on Earth (rather than surrendering to Brussles). Do you agree with my statement?

I lived in the USA for ten years and think it's a complete and utter **** hole. Good luck.
Reply 19
Original post by Silent Witness

Like the last child they get away with everything? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest