The Student Room Group

Revising AS and A2 Psychology (PSYA 1/2/3/4)

So I've been struggling to revise any of the topics with any consistency and it's coming to the three weeks until I have my PSYA1 exam: cognitive psychology, developmental psychology and research methods. That will be followed in another two weeks thereafter by PSYA2: social influence, abnormality and stress.

I have generally some of the materials necessary in order to do revision. Flash cards, printed out essay booklets, a notebook, highlighters, textbooks (etc).

Being a more visual learner, what is the best course of action to take in revising the necessary information? How do I get it all to sink in? Because at the moment I am sinking​.
Reply 1
Original post by aceofpentacles
What I have found helpful, especially as there's quite a bit of content in Psychology, is to sum up one sub-topic (eg. the effect of day care on peer relations in the Developmental Psychology module) onto one page of A4, with a focus on images (instead of blocks of paragraphs) when possible. Be as creative as you can, you're more likely to remember aspects of the course if you can link it to an image that is funny, for example. Also, you could use mind maps, which have served some of my classmates quite well. You could even use Visual Imagery Mnemonics (and thus personally benefit from having learnt the Cognitive Psychology module :biggrin:) such as the Method of Loci, Key Word Method and/or the Peg Word Technique if the above are unsatisfactory.

I think that at this moment in time one of the best things for you is to remember how close the exam date is, but think of it in a positive way. If you put in lots of effort in the upcoming weeks, the short term pain of the hard work you'll do will benefit in the long run. I say this because while tailoring revision techniques to your learning style is beneficial to effective revision, you'll only truly reap the rewards if you're motivated/put the work in! :smile:

I'm also sitting this and the PSYA2 exam in the summer, and have finished the majority of my revision. Perhaps the info will stick if you go through it with someone? If you would like to message me as a means of revision I'd be happy to reply! :tongue:

Thank you for such a detailed response, and I apologise for not replying sooner. Your tips are very useful and sound like they could benefit me.

However I am struggling with mind maps as I am not that creative, and tend to write instead of draw. I have found Text2Mindmap useful, having created three on there already - although I would like to know how to use it for revision.

Lastly, I shall gladly take you up on your offer. I am subscribing as much help as possible to garner the best results possible.
you doing all units to? im in same boat, but doing edexcel not aqa :/ still loads of content either end.
Reply 3
Original post by NKDJ
Thank you for such a detailed response, and I apologise for not replying sooner. Your tips are very useful and sound like they could benefit me.

However I am struggling with mind maps as I am not that creative, and tend to write instead of draw. I have found Text2Mindmap useful, having created three on there already - although I would like to know how to use it for revision.

Lastly, I shall gladly take you up on your offer. I am subscribing as much help as possible to garner the best results possible.

Thank you for the link to the Text2Mindmap site, I will find this incredibly useful! Also, good luck with your revision.
Reply 4
Sorry to but in. The Text2Mindmap site is brilliant! Just saw the link and it has helped me loads!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending