Turn on thread page Beta

best english department? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    bar oxbridge which is the best english department in terms of rep? Just cos sum1 i no is thinking about applying to do english next year and she waz askin me and i don't have a clue and she said she doesn't wanna go 2 oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankur1986)
    bar oxbridge which is the best english department in terms of rep? Just cos sum1 i no is thinking about applying to do english next year and she waz askin me and i don't have a clue and she said she doesn't wanna go 2 oxbridge.
    york's english is good.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is good too

ReputationRep:
    ucl's and durham's english departments are supposed to be gd too

ReputationRep:
    English (top ten)

Cambridge
    Oxford
    York
    University College London
    Durham
    Cardiff
    Edinburgh
    Royal Holloway
    St Andrews
    Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    English (top ten)

Cambridge
    Oxford
    York
    University College London
    Durham
    Cardiff
    Edinburgh
    Royal Holloway
    St Andrews
    Warwick
    However don't rely solely on the above list...i'm surprised several universities with five star ratings for their departments don't feature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    However don't rely solely on the above list...i'm surprised several universities with five star ratings for their departments don't feature.
    Lol, If you look at the Guardian's table than half of them don't feature :rolleyes:

And Warwick should be higher (not that I'm biased... )

As well as those already mentioned, Birmingham, Bristol and Exeter are also highly respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    Lol, If you look at the Guardian's table than half of them don't feature :rolleyes:

And Warwick should be higher (not that I'm biased... )

As well as those already mentioned, Birmingham, Bristol and Exeter are also highly respected.
    I used the times online - apparantly a reliable source but i still don't trust the ranking tables.

ReputationRep:
    queen mary is better than oxbridge for english lit, it got 5* only people don't realize this cos' its not so high up in the league table for all subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    queen mary is better than oxbridge for english lit, it got 5* only people don't realize this cos' its not so high up in the league table for all subjects.
    Its teaching is probably poor though. UEA's department is good too. Andrew Motion lectures I think, and Kazuo Ishiguro is a graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter's good for English - has a good reputation too.

Also very good if you're into creative writing - in 2nd and 3rd years you can choose creative writing modules. Also JK Rowling was a past Exeter student!

Obviously can't compare cos I only go to one Uni but they were certainly the best at promoting it to me (in comparison with Swansea, Cardiff, Southampton, Portsmouth).

ReputationRep:
    - Yale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ericsimo)
    - Yale
    haha

i know someone who did english at princeton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Its teaching is probably poor though. UEA's department is good too. Andrew Motion lectures I think, and Kazuo Ishiguro is a graduate.
    I dont think it's that poor.. 6/6 in teaching inspection anyway

ReputationRep:
    Princeton is very good as well, but for English, Yale is tops IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    I don't think you can seriously say that queen mary is better than cambridge for English! I think the Times league tables for English are pretty accurate.

Bear in mind only 6 English deparments in the country received 5*A ratings, one of them being Durham.

Having been on a Durham departmental open day, I can honestly say that I was bowled over by the quality of the department - it is far and away teh best I have seen, and I have been to open days at Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham and Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know that the English Department at the University of Leeds is very good and is well respected. The Department got 5* for their RAE.
    You have to be good at English to be offered a place as they require ABB with an A in English!

I hope that helps.

Wini.

ReputationRep:
    all the departments with the top rankings
    are very excellent indeed. how do you choose
    between them? my suggestion is to choose
    somewhere u would like living in and where
    there's a good atmosphere in the dept.
    overall reputation of the uni will also add
    value to ur degree.

ReputationRep:
    fionah, 6/6 for teaching?! please, where do you get such twaddle. teaching is out of 24, research out of 5*. if you aren't going to chose oxbridge then chose UCL or King's for English - certainly on reputation they come after oxbridge, and hey they are in london.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.