ENGLISH LIT&LANG Paper2 URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!!

Watch
maii4213
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello Everyone!

I'm really having a real problem with my Paper2. The books I'm studying are The Whale Rider and the Poems of Pablo Neruda, none of which appear in any study website .

The problem I'm having here is that I never know how to incorporate both the context and the stylistic devices to answer the prompt question. That is my weak point. I consulted my teacher. But she was of no use. She said it's 'skills' and would not advise me further on how to achieve this so-called 'skill' she's talking about.

I'm good at analysing literary features and all the devices the author use as well as their effects. However, I don't know how to use it to answer questions like "How can the two texts you have studied be considered timeless." More so, as I said, I don't know how to incorporate the literary devices with the context of the story to answer the question.

I think that the problem also lies with the texts my teacher chose as well T_T.

PLEASE HELP ME. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ANSWER THE PAPER 2 EXAM AND IT"S REALLY COMING CLOSE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!TT_TT
CharltonChampion
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Hello,

May I point you in the direction of the exam criteria? If you have a look, you'll see that 'response to the question' accounts for merely a fifth of your overall mark. In a sense, albeit a very pompous one, your teacher had a point; the way I've been taught to 'answer the question', if you like, is by tailoring it to the quotes and ideas I include. This is a lot easier than it sounds, as I'm sure you have noticed, because the questions per se are extremely vague and open for interpretation. Thankfully, this means that essentially any quote you mention can be bludgeoned into being relevant and, provided you constantly babble on about stylistic features, you'll find yourself getting top marks every time!

The way I chose to revise is by creating three so-called quote sheets for my texts, in which I deliberately included ones with glaringly obvious stylistic features. To give you an example, upon answering the 'timeless' question, I looked at the theme of smoking, one author's inclusion of specific music and literature, and the repeated theme of physical reprimands. If it hadn't been for my purportedly "shallow" analysis of stylistic features, I would've got 25/25. The way I usually deal with them is by conjuring up some platitudes, e.g. "this emphasises the idea of X on the reader", which I've been told isn't the best, so I'll leave that bit to you.

Hope this helped,
Fellow lang/lit student
freyageneva
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
i am also studying whale rider. How are you revising for it? Have you found any study guides? Have you had your mock yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.5%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27%
No (52)
26%
I'm not sure (27)
13.5%

Watched Threads