The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

How safe is Glasgow? Accommodation for nondrinker?

Having a bit of a dilemma over uni decisions!:confused:

Reallyyyy want to go to glasgow ( from Northern Ireland so wanna get out of there!) but I was watching a tv programme about gangs and stabbings in Glasgow and it really freaked me out! So how safe is Glasgow?
Also accommodation wise, I'm not really party party and I don't drink so where would be the best place to stay? I've heard Murano is really wild which I'm not interested in but QM is hard to get into?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
qm places go really fast since there's the ensuite, so you could try getting into the student flats? im the same as you with not being party party and they were my second choice.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
My friend lived in one of the smaller Murano flats (4 bedroom) and their block seemed quiet enough when I visited, maybe give them a go if you haven't got many other choices. The west end of Glasgow is fine, it's got a massive student population, I never felt unsafe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As safe as you make it, don't walk around dark alleys alone at night and you'll be fine, just take the same precautions that you would in any big city. Its not the gaza strip, you're not going to get murdered walking down the street in broad daylight :tongue: the west end (where glasgow uni is) is one of the most affluent areas in glasgow, i always feel safe walking around there at night. Murano is wild, i think its in a bit of a **** condition as well but its fun :tongue:
Original post by Blue_eyedgirl
Having a bit of a dilemma over uni decisions!:confused:

Reallyyyy want to go to glasgow ( from Northern Ireland so wanna get out of there!) but I was watching a tv programme about gangs and stabbings in Glasgow and it really freaked me out! So how safe is Glasgow?
Also accommodation wise, I'm not really party party and I don't drink so where would be the best place to stay? I've heard Murano is really wild which I'm not interested in but QM is hard to get into?

Thank you :smile:

coming from northern ireland and you think glasgow is bad...

yes outside my house there are feral gangs of 14 year olds with machetes...we have to board up our windows at night and try to ignore the screaming....

but glasgow is known for being friendly...

is that documentary by the canadians by any chance...they were pissed off that we scooped the commonwealth games from them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
If you don't drink and don't really like partying, you will hate Murano. Murano was my third choice (I think) and I ended up in there in my first year and hated it. It's not the end of the world as you'll only be there during term time but it definitely wasn't ideal for me. As others have said, Glasgow is fine, especially the West End. Be sensible and you won't find yourself in any trouble.
Reply 6
QM is great if you're not really into the drinking side of student life. It's quiet but still friendly enough and the rooms are nice. Personally I still think it's a rip off price wise but I think that's a general trend for all halls, so you might as well go for the best.
Reply 7
I'm from Northern Ireland too and firmed Glasgow as my first choice, but haven't applied for halls yet. I'm really not sure where to apply. QM seems really nice but I don't want it to be too quiet, I want to go over and have fun but not go too wild so that's why i'm thinking of Murano although from what I've heard and read it doesn't seem to be the nicest place. Any advice on where to go? :smile:
Reply 8
If you're not into partying you might want to try unite? I was in QM and we had flat parties all the time but it's nothing like as rowdy as murano...i know of people who partied and who didnt in cairncross and student apartments but neither are particularly nice...

Quick Reply

Latest