Turn on thread page Beta

standard diviation in biology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    can any1 help plz i have to do standard divation of the results but no idea wot to do.
    im basically testing antibiotics against bacteria ie

e coli against novobiocin
    ecoli against amoxicillin
    s albus against novobiocin
    s albus against amoxicillin

so i have 4 sets of results from the above and have worked out the mean so have 4 means.
    i also have added up the class results and i have 4 means for the class result as well.

my means are:

e coli against novobiocin 13
    ecoli against amoxicillin 15.3
    s albus against novobiocin 19.6
    s albus against amoxicillin 14.1

the class means including mine are

e coli against novobiocin 13.5
    ecoli against amoxicillin 15.0
    s albus against novobiocin 18.7
    s albus against amoxicillin 14.5

how wud i do standard diviation frm these results i'll give whoever can help rep :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i never thought S1 maths would be useful.. well it isnt but here goes..

this website says it all: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asgur...inciples.shtml

but in general,
    there are 2 formulae for standard deviation but i prefer to use this one:

S.D. = square root of ( sum of all s(x^2) - mean^2)

where ^2 means raise to power 2..

in your case i think, each x value would represent the equivalent value on x-axis..(your set values of bacteria growth) and s would represent the number of times you got each x variable. And you have to add up all of the possible s(x^2) for every x value you got, then take away mean squared and then square root the answer.

Its pretty difficult to understand, but i hope this helps.. Laterzz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nijman)
    Hey, i never thought S1 maths would be useful.. well it isnt but here goes..

this website says it all: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/asgur...inciples.shtml

but in general,
    there are 2 formulae for standard deviation but i prefer to use this one:

S.D. = square root of ( sum of all s(x^2) - mean^2)

where ^2 means raise to power 2..

in your case i think, each x value would represent the equivalent value on x-axis..(your set values of bacteria growth) and s would represent the number of times you got each x variable. And you have to add up all of the possible s(x^2) for every x value you got, then take away mean squared and then square root the answer.

Its pretty difficult to understand, but i hope this helps.. Laterzz
    hey thanks its just coz ive got 4 means therefore 4 different results im not sure whether id need to do 4 standard diviations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    hey thanks its just coz ive got 4 means therefore 4 different results im not sure whether id need to do 4 standard diviations.
    any1 know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    any1 know
    You would have to calculate four different ranks for the values. As you are comparing 4 sets of data.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    excel wil work out std dev for you.

the formula you need is:

=stdev(cells.... ie a4:b4:c4:etc)

where the brackets are, drag the cusor along the cells with your data in

It calculated std dev against 95% confidence means...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    You would have to calculate four different ranks for the values. As you are comparing 4 sets of data.

Regards.
    yes im comparing the 4 sets of data. would i have to do 4 standard diviations though.
    soz i know how thick i sound lol

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.