The Student Room Group

Teacher ruined exam work

I am a second year student at St Mary Redcliffe 6th Form in Bristol. On the 25/04/2013, I was in my 2nd day of my A2 art exam, I had completed my final piece and was waiting for it to dry, at 9.55 the whole class went to break, two students came to me during that time and told me they had seen my art teacher Miss Guttridge move my wet piece of work; resulting in the watered down ink to run all over the piece which ruined it. When i confronted her about it she became very aggressive, and told me to leave the exam.

I phoned my Nan and she came into school to talk to someone about this. We were referred to Mrs Davies, the deputy head of year, who we've had problems with in the past. She informed us that Miss Guttridge had accused me of swearing- which i didn't, and the whole class can vouch for me on that. Miss Davies ignored me for the majority of the meeting, she wouldnt let me give my version of events, shouted over me, said i was being abusive and i was unstable. She was completely biased against me and her role as a mediator was obviously not carried out. I really dont know what to do, and would like to know how i can a) get my voice heard without being accused of being abusive, b) not knowing the rights i have in this situation, and c) are the teachers allowed to touch a students work in an exam without their consent?
Reply 1
Hello,

Although I study in Scotland, I do Higher level art (and will do advanced higher next year which is the highest level possible) I think I can help. Firstly, I just want to say that I am absolutely shocked that a teacher would act in this manner. It is completely unfair especially as you tried to resolve the problem in a peaceful way, so I think you completely have the right to make an official complaint.

In my school, a complaint would normally go to their guidance teacher (form teacher in England? It's someone whose job is to look after the pupils) first, then their school headteacher who would decide along with a panel of deputies and other officials what course of action to take. If I were you, I would go straight to the headteacher of your school - and if they refuse to cooperate then contact the organisation that will mark your exams. In Scotland we have the SQA but I don't know what the English equivalent is :frown: I would report your teacher not only for touching your work without consent, but also for shouting at you and being aggressive. Your teacher can possibly be fired for this as this behaviour is completely unprofessional, especially if she does not have sufficient justification for her behaviour.

I do not know specifically what rights you do have, but I think you should have every right in this situation. This is your work, and your teacher should not be allowed to do anything to it - especially if it is an exam piece. I myself had to keep on reminding my teacher that it was my work and although I did value some of her suggestions, it was me who decided what I done to my work in the end.

I hope I have eased your worries just a little, but I do think you should make an official complaint so that something is done about this
put in a formal complaint about both. they should listen to your side of the story and also complain to the exam board. teachers should not be touching ANY exam work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending