Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, have any of you written an essay on the Great Gatsby, specifically the view that America has declined from the promise of the fresh green breast of the new world to a moral waste land? I am currently trying to start an essay with this main theme but I am experiencing writers block and cannot think of a good introduction or central message... Can anyone help/???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qdull)
    Hi, have any of you written an essay on the Great Gatsby, specifically the view that America has declined from the promise of the fresh green breast of the new world to a moral waste land? I am currently trying to start an essay with this main theme but I am experiencing writers block and cannot think of a good introduction or central message... Can anyone help/???
    Hey. Sure, I'll help. My American Lit classes would beat the hell out of this book with essays and such. A good intro may be the correlation between Gatsby's transformation to wealth after bootlegging and the ironic events in 20s America led by the temperence movement. Funny enough the ban on prohibition which was supposed to save the country from moral degredation (courtesy of religous extremists that also rose in popularity in the 20s), helped to spawn various underground bootlegging organizations. Or you could start off with an introductory comparison of the Egg communities where Gatsby and the Buchanans lived and the sooty-dirty place where Tom Buchanan would cheat on his wife.

or take a look at this site. It has themes of Gatsby explained. When American kids get REALLY lazy they swear by this (I wouldn't, you get more out of the actual book, but it's worth a start).

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/gatsby/themes.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qdull)
    Bit more complicated: was the early promise, like Gatsby's view of Daisy, an illusion? There's the way Gatsby makes money from crime so he can pursue his (fantasy) ideal, which mirrors history in petto.

ReputationRep:
    i just did an essay on the Great Gatsby...got an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qdull)
    (Original post by qdull)
    We were given a copy of someone's coursework on a very, very similar title by the OCR exam board as an example of what would achieve full marks.

The introduction describes the endless possibilities America apparently offered the Pilgrim Fathers in the 17th Century, but then goes on to say that Fitzgerald reveals this vision of a 'Wonderland' to be largely unattainable.

The conclusion quotes Kenneth Millar - The Great Gatsby is essentially about "American idealism destroyed by American greed" - but then says that, although Gatsby failed, in showing how man came "so close" to his "dream" that he could "hardly fails to grasp it" Fitzgerald suggests why the American Dream lives on.

Hope that helps!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.