The Student Room Group

Deadline drawing closer and I can't make a decision

Hi, I applied for psychology 2013 entry and received all five conditional offers (Oxford, UCL, Bath, Southampton and Cardiff). I like the UCL and Bath courses a lot more than the Oxford course, but I've decided that I really don't want to move to London, so basically I'm stuck between Oxford and Bath.

The offers are the same (A*AA) and I would be happy to live in either city, the decision is basically between the course or the reputation of the uni. I'm also worried about having a ridiculous workload at Oxford and being stressed all the time and hating it.

I'm also the first person at my college who has ever received an oxbridge offer, everyone is expecting me to take it and making a big deal out of the whole thing. I know that this should not affect my decision at all because I have to do what's right for me (and my 7 month old son) but it would make it harder to reject Oxford if that's what I think I should do.

I guess I would just like people's opinions and advice. I'm completely lost at the moment so any help would be appreciated :smile:.
Reply 1
I would firm Oxford, and put Bath as your second offer. I personally believe it would be easier to get a better job just by having Oxford on your CV? :smile:
What exactly is it about the course at Bath (and UCL) that you prefer over Oxford? All psychology degrees must cover much of the same ground to satisfy the BPS...
Reply 3
Terms are shorter at Oxford, you could be home with your son more....
Original post by ageshallnot
What exactly is it about the course at Bath (and UCL) that you prefer over Oxford? All psychology degrees must cover much of the same ground to satisfy the BPS...

I like that with the other courses you can choose optional modules from other departments and that there is more of a variety of assessment methods.
First of all, props on getting offers from such great universities while supporting a 7 month old son, that's some impressive effort. As another poster said, the term times are shorter at Oxford, so while it is more intensive, it does allow you to remain at home with your son more. Oxford is also a world leading uni (no slight on the others, they're all good) and a degree from there could potentially open more doors for you in the future. Good luck with your decision and with your degree, wherever you go :smile:
Original post by British-Student
First of all, props on getting offers from such great universities while supporting a 7 month old son, that's some impressive effort. As another poster said, the term times are shorter at Oxford, so while it is more intensive, it does allow you to remain at home with your son more. Oxford is also a world leading uni (no slight on the others, they're all good) and a degree from there could potentially open more doors for you in the future. Good luck with your decision and with your degree, wherever you go :smile:

Thankyou :smile: I have just firmed Oxford and insured Bath. I feel relieved that I've finally done it.

Thankyou to everyone who replied.
Reply 7
Original post by x__justmyluck
Thankyou :smile: I have just firmed Oxford and insured Bath. I feel relieved that I've finally done it.

Thankyou to everyone who replied.

Good luck!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending