KMunir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys,
Just wondering what is a better institution for studying Neuroscience. King's or Nottingham. And as regards things like accommodation etc., where is better?
Ren_9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Kings college is a better university IMO. I went there for work experience and they are doing ALOT of Reasearch and they have loads of really expensive and up to date laboratory equipment. However since its in London the accomodation will be a lot more pricey than in Nottingham. (Up to 2,000 more) So they have there pros and cons.

I firmed Nottingham for neuroscience because I've lived in London all my life and wanted a bit more independence. Also Notts had more opportunities to study abroad. They are both Russell group Uni so either way you'll get a good quality of Reasearch lead lectures and ect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
VeenBean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi! I'm currently a student at Nottingham studying Neuroscience! and after finishing my first year at Nottingham I've realized the university just wasn't for me and I'm now in the process of transferring to king's college

Nottingham is a remarkable university. The campus is breathtaking and the students at the university are approachable. Unlike kcl, Nottingham offers students the ability to study abroad having campuses in both china and Malaysia. The night life at Nottingham is great, but its not like London!

Unfortunately, with regards to neuroscience at Nottingham i felt that the university offered very little opportunity to hear about the research currently being conducted in the industry, i also felt that for year 2 the neuroscience content seems to be smaller than expected in comparison to kcl with much of the modules being a continuation of the first year etc. I've been given the opportunity to speak to students graduating from both universities and I've come to realise that students at kings we're given greater education and career opportunities. so i feel that after my experience at Nottingham, it is kcl that offers the better institution for studying neuroscience.

with regards to accommodation, there are many alls of residences at Nottingham ( i stayed at broadgate park ) .... the accommodation is far more cheaper in Nottingham and your offered a lot more for your money ( some halls offer free bus travel, others offer free gym ).

Hope that helps!
mmusani
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey VeenBean!

I'm questioning Neuroscience at Nottingham - the course doesn't seem to cover what I'm interesting whereas King's seems to, a little more.

I first began to develop an interest into neuro-related science when I came across various brain training games and programmes such as Lumosity and Elevate etc. I had also been studying the 'Brain and Mind' in my Biology class at the time. While this was only a very brief insight I became hooked on the idea of improving the brain and, moreover, learning. As well as the ways in which we can expand our brains and improve our IQ through binaural beat meditation etc. The area is extremely fascinating! I have also came across various blogs by authors such as Phil Drolet, Tim Ferriss and Josh Waitzkin - 3 people who have had a huge impact on my future career ideas.

So, my key area of interest is optimising mental and physical performance - seeing the body and mind as one or extremely complementary to each other. In terms of University I want it to be an opportunity to expand my knowledge of the field to a more advanced level, and so, study the area of developing the brain in terms of acquiring skills and learning, as well as how the brain reacts to different stimulus and the importance of the subconscious mind, and how you can combine them to optimise performance etc.

Looking at the courses offered by Nottingham University I've come across 3 courses:

- Psychology & Cognitive Neuroscience
- Neuroscience MSci/BSci
- Natural Sciences (due to the fact that it allows me to combine so many disciplines of Science of my choice)
Maybe Sports Rehabilitation and Exercise Science?

Do you think any of the courses above, particularly the Neuroscience ones, link to my areas of interest or would you lean more towards King's, or elsewhere?
Thanks!
mmusani
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by VeenBean)
Hi! I'm currently a student at Nottingham studying Neuroscience! and after finishing my first year at Nottingham I've realized the university just wasn't for me and I'm now in the process of transferring to king's college

Nottingham is a remarkable university. The campus is breathtaking and the students at the university are approachable. Unlike kcl, Nottingham offers students the ability to study abroad having campuses in both china and Malaysia. The night life at Nottingham is great, but its not like London!

Unfortunately, with regards to neuroscience at Nottingham i felt that the university offered very little opportunity to hear about the research currently being conducted in the industry, i also felt that for year 2 the neuroscience content seems to be smaller than expected in comparison to kcl with much of the modules being a continuation of the first year etc. I've been given the opportunity to speak to students graduating from both universities and I've come to realise that students at kings we're given greater education and career opportunities. so i feel that after my experience at Nottingham, it is kcl that offers the better institution for studying neuroscience.

with regards to accommodation, there are many alls of residences at Nottingham ( i stayed at broadgate park ) .... the accommodation is far more cheaper in Nottingham and your offered a lot more for your money ( some halls offer free bus travel, others offer free gym ).

Hope that helps!
Hey VeenBean!

I'm questioning Neuroscience at Nottingham - the course doesn't seem to cover what I'm interesting whereas King's seems to, a little more.

I first began to develop an interest into neuro-related science when I came across various brain training games and programmes such as Lumosity and Elevate etc.

I had also been studying the 'Brain and Mind' in my Biology class at the time. While this was only a very brief insight I became hooked on the idea of improving the brain and, moreover, learning. As well as the ways in which we can expand our brains and improve our IQ through binaural beat meditation etc. The area is extremely fascinating! I have also came across various blogs by authors such as Phil Drolet, Tim Ferriss and Josh Waitzkin - 3 people who have had a huge impact on my future career ideas.

So, my key area of interest is optimising mental and physical performance - seeing the body and mind as one or extremely complementary to each other. In terms of University I want it to be an opportunity to expand my knowledge of the field to a more advanced level, and so, study the area of developing the brain in terms of acquiring skills and learning, as well as how the brain reacts to different stimulus and the importance of the subconscious mind, and how you can combine them to optimise performance etc.

Looking at the courses offered by Nottingham University I've come across 3 courses:
- Psychology & Cognitive Neuroscience
- Neuroscience MSci/BSci
- Natural Sciences (due to the fact that it allows me to combine so many disciplines of Science of my choice)
Maybe Sports Rehabilitation and Exercise Science?

Do you think any of the courses above, particularly the Neuroscience ones, link to my areas of interest or would you lean more towards King's, or elsewhere?

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.47%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.51%

Watched Threads