The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Economics now #1 in UK according to the completeuniversityguide

Scroll to see replies

I think it's great obviously, despite the fact that I study mathematics :biggrin: I can't wait for all the mad LSE students who will constantly say how "rankings don't matter" although they kept bringing them up all the time to prove how LSE was superior :tongue:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by crunchychips
I think it's great obviously, despite the fact that I study mathematics :biggrin: I can't wait for all the mad LSE students who will constantly say how "rankings don't matter" although they kept bringing them up all the time to prove how LSE was superior :tongue:

haha yeah, exactly my thoughts. I wonder how warwick will do in the other rankings :smile:
Reply 3
Haha, I only came here to see if anyone had posted this. Can't wait to see the LSE hate (no offence to any LSE students who don't fit this description btw, I'm sure most of you are perfectly nice and intelligent people).

Bit disappointed maths wasn't higher (2nd or 3rd, wasn't expected 1st obviously) but still it's a nice result.
Original post by Anon 17

Bit disappointed maths wasn't higher (2nd or 3rd, wasn't expected 1st obviously) but still it's a nice result.

Same, although there is barely any difference. I wonder though why Imperial has higher entry standards, when I think it's quite obvious that Warwick has higher ones for Mathematics... (and Warwick definitely has higher entry standards than Durham)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Same, although there is barely any difference. I wonder though why Imperial has higher entry standards, when I think it's quite obvious that Warwick has higher ones for Mathematics... (and Warwick definitely has higher entry standards than Durham)

:confused:
Original post by Theophile
:confused:

In the table, Imperial scores higher on "entry standards", while Warwick requires higher grades (due to STEP)
Reply 7
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was the average score of an accepted student in that subject?

I don't think that really means much considering many people get A*s in "irrelevant" (to the maths degree) subjects at A level which boost their score whereas the top universities for maths only care about your maths, further maths and possibly physics.
Reply 8
It rates Warwick and LSE to have the same graduate prospects. That's clearly not true. LSE is far better known abroad.
Reply 9
See how people decide with their actions. I doubt anyone next year will choose Warwick over Oxbridge or LSE based on this anomalous ranking alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hebbamundo
See how people decide with their actions. I doubt anyone next year will choose Warwick over Oxbridge or LSE based on this anomalous ranking alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Over Oxbridge, probably not. Over LSE, why not?
Reply 11
Over Oxbridge, probably not. Over LSE, why not?

Economics at LSE will always be more prestigious thank Warwick.

Both unis have about 3000 applicants for econ, Warwick give out 1000 offers and LSE only 400.

on the table, LSE had higher entry standards and research assesment score yet warwick came out on top due to student satisfaction (lol) hardly the best academic measure.

However basing decisions on one (or any) league table is really not a smart move. And Warwick is still a very good uni for Economics none the less.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by User3
Economics at LSE will always be more prestigious thank Warwick.

Both unis have about 3000 applicants for econ, Warwick give out 1000 offers and LSE only 400.

on the table, LSE had higher entry standards and research assesment score yet warwick came out on top due to student satisfaction (lol) hardly the best academic measure.

However basing decisions on one (or any) league table is really not a smart move. And Warwick is still a very good uni for Economics none the less.

People pick universities for many reasons. I know plenty of people who picked Warwick over Imperial for mathematics, although Imperial is said to have better international prestige. Many think that the course at Warwick is much better, they prefer the campus atmosphere, etc. At such universities, you cannot say "There'd be no one who'd pick X over Y".
In the table, Imperial scores higher on "entry standards", while Warwick requires higher grades (due to STEP)

Not sure that's true.

Imperial do ask for STEP and the requirements are very similar to Warwick's.

Besides, Oxford ask for MAT so how do you compare the grades for MAT with STEP?
Reply 14
At such universities, you cannot say "There'd be no one who'd pick X over Y".

Obviously you can't say no one, but a few anecdotes don't mean anything.
Everyone has their preferences, but the majority would still pick LSE over Warwick for Economics.

No one ever has to ever argue that an Economics degree from LSE is just as good as Warwick, its always the other way round

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42419079&highlight=

Neither will you find someone with an LSE Econ offer thinking of taking a gap year to reapply to Warwick.
Reply 15
Original post by User3
Obviously you can't say no one, but a few anecdotes don't mean anything.
Everyone has their preferences, but the majority would still pick LSE over Warwick for Economics.

No one ever has to ever argue that an Economics degree from LSE is just as good as Warwick, its always the other way round

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42419079&highlight=

Neither will you find someone with an LSE Econ offer thinking of taking a gap year to reapply to Warwick.

I expect that's probably true, but reputation isn't always directly equal to quality. This economics ranking doesn't take into account how the institutions are viewed by people who haven't started their undergrad.

Warwick students have always had to argue that it deserves its place in the top tier with far more "prestigious" unis purely because of its age. If it continues to rise at the rate it is, hopefully students will realise that the most established institutions don't always have the best teaching quality.
Reply 16
Original post by Hankylord
I expect that's probably true, but reputation isn't always directly equal to quality. This economics ranking doesn't take into account how the institutions are viewed by people who haven't started their undergrad.

Warwick students have always had to argue that it deserves its place in the top tier with far more "prestigious" unis purely because of its age. If it continues to rise at the rate it is, hopefully students will realise that the most established institutions don't always have the best teaching quality.

So? No one can really compare the quality of Camb/LSE/UCL/War econ course, most people just choose on reputation.

Warwick is definitely top tier for economics, however I dont see the fact they came 1st in one ranking in one year having any real significance or being a valid reason on its own to turn down LSE, or even UCL for economics.

Tbh its trivial anyway, the prospects are pretty similar anyway
Reply 17

How do you define entry standards?

A lot of Imperial's students come from the Far East where their exams are more demanding.

Take this for example:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52489790/al-pure-2011

An A grade on this paper is more difficult to attain than the UK's A-Level paper.
Original post by speakerfone
Not sure that's true.

Imperial do ask for STEP and the requirements are very similar to Warwick's.

Looking at Imperial's site, they ask for the same grades as Warwick, not including STEP. Maybe they occasionally include STEP, but you HAVE to do STEP to get into Warwick.
Reply 19

Maybe it's because entry standards are based on A-Levels alone, not including STEP.

Oxford don't ask for STEP so do you accept their entry standards are higher than Warwick's?

How would you adjust the stats to accommodate different standards like the one by dbkey below?

There are lots of flaws in the tables. For example looking at Chemical Engineering, Oxford has no scores for Entry Standards and Graduate Prospects, yet it comes third? How can that be? Is it just a guess?

Original post by dbkey
How do you define entry standards?

A lot of Imperial's students come from the Far East where their exams are more demanding.

Take this for example:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52489790/al-pure-2011

An A grade on this paper is more difficult to attain than the UK's A-Level paper.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest