The Student Room Group

How long after you passed did you drive on your own?

Title says it all, how long did it take you to drive on your own without anybody in the car after youd past?
currently trying to find the confidence to do so.ahhh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I passed on the 11th of this month, bought a car last Thursday. I drove on my own for the first time the day after, and stalled about a billion times getting out of the car park behind my house due to not being used to the clutch etc :colondollar: That totally knocked my confidence and over the weekend I really had to push myself to go driving again. I took my boyfriend (who doesn't drive) out for a couple of trips and it really helped having someone there next to me, especially someone who doesn't comment on my driving :tongue:

Went out on my own again today and I felt much more confident. If you're really nervous like I was, I would recommend getting someone neutral and non-judgmental to sit with you, in the front or back, and either just read something or look out the window, or help you out with directions if you need it.

Just remember that you can drive, the examiners are strict and they wouldn't have let you pass the test if they didn't genuinely believe you can safely get in a car by yourself and drive :h:
half an hour
3 months, was pretty terrified to get in the car on my own after such a long break!
Reply 4
Passed almost 2 years ago.
Drove alone pretty much straight away - driving instructor dropped me home, quickly said hi to parents to show them I passed, then jumped in my car and drove half an hour alone to pick up my friend and go on a spontaneous road trip. I think I was really excited and happy I could drive alone - wasn't nervous really at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Erm think it was about 40 minutes...
My car failed its MOT the day before my test and had to have some work done so it took a week or two before I drove on my own. I wasn't really nervous about it though, enjoyed the freedom from the start :h:
Reply 7
8 Months as I didn't have a car, and so my first solo trip was terrifying!
Reply 8
3 or 4 hours :smile:

For the first couple of weeks I was terrified but the fear soon goes and the things that use to worry you just disappear :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Got my car about 6 months after passing. Drove it myself to work (about a 10min journey) less than a week after that. Took a while before I needed to/wanted to do a different journey
(edited 10 years ago)
The very next day, to go see my friend in town because it was her birthday :smile:
As soon as I got home :smile:
Passed 11th July, bought a car 11th August, my mum was in the car when I drove it home, then I went out on my own - motorway the day after.
As soon as I got insured on my mum's car, which was around 1 month after I passed :smile:
The day after my test.

If you haven't got the confidence for it right away, try going out on very quiet minor roads at quiet times, build yourself up much like your instructor did in your driving lessons. It'll soon become perfectly natural.
15 minutes, I dropped off my dad and then went to my mates house! :smile:
Reply 17
I'm surprised how many of you can afford to drive!

I passed just after I went to Uni, no way I could afford a car until 4 years later and that was a big financial stretch.

So a 4 year gap between passing and driving on my own. My first drive was 150 miles or so and it kept breaking down but my mum was in the car. The next time I drove it was the next day maybe? I didn't feel that nervous about being on my own.
Original post by JustDisturbia
Title says it all, how long did it take you to drive on your own without anybody in the car after youd past?
currently trying to find the confidence to do so.ahhh

Approximately 60 seconds after passing.

I had my own car from the day I started learning, and so obviously took the test in that. I had agreed with my dad before I did the test that if I passed then he was getting the bus home.

Anyway, I took the test, passed, jumped straight in my car and drove home.
Reply 19
The next time I drove after passing I believe, no point in waiting or you start to forget.

Quick Reply

Latest