The Student Room Group

Is racism possible to occur in a driving test?

Hi everyone, I know many people respond negatively when someone needs help with a racist matter mainly because you are racist too :tongue: so if you don't care don't say anything rather than say things like he failed cos hes a weak driver because he's not and this is real.
I'm Caucasian and I passed my practical test 2nd time, I was awful and just a terrible driver but I passed with like 11 minor that's how bad I am even though I hit the kerb slightly etc. on the other hand my boyfriend has been driving for 10 years in Jamaica and a whole 1 year in UK and they kept failing him :frown: it's very frustrating each time because it has gone beyond faults it's just seems like pure racism now. I know because he normally has 0 minors and only one serious that causes the fail, all my friends and cousins have like 9 minors and pass narrowly, the things that an examiner would forgive a Caucasian for would be a fail for him. He had another test this afternoon and he failed again :s his instructor who is an old Caucasian man said he's going to log a complain and that his students who are worse are passing their test, his instructor said his driving is so clean during mock test and when the examiners say why they've failed him it would turn out to be a minor fault. I don't understand how they can keep failing someone who has 0 minor and the instructor would say its meant to be a minor fault but they gave him as serious. Should I book his test for him in a city then? Because we live in a rural racist town anyway .
I am not an ignorant person and will not play a race card but I believe he is being discriminated against. Shall I book the next one somewhere and can I complain at their office ? I feel upset because he's just feeling unwanted and awful day by day cos he has some self esteem issues, Regards
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Rather than claiming racism, why doesn't your boyfriend ask his instructor to start sitting in on his tests? He might just be getting very nervous and screwing up things he is usually good at. The instructor has no way of knowing this unless he goes along on the test too.
You can't really be certain without having sat in on one of his tests as to whether he actually deserves to pass. The driving test is somewhat subjective so what some people think is a minor mistake could be seen as a major by others, etc. It's also quite possible that during his ten years' driving in Jamaica he's picked up some bad habits - most drivers do after passing their tests and not having to drive so carefully anymore (in pretty much every country, too).

As Suzanathema says above, maybe he could get his instructor to sit in on a test to see if they agree with the judgement of the examiner. Without that it's his word against the examiner's, and there's not much chance of getting anything out of that. Also, presumably through these multiple tests he's had several different examiners - I think it's highly unlikely that that many different people are all failing him based on racist tendencies.

Also, I'd recommend against pre-emptively accusing people of racism if you want them to give honest advice.
Reply 3
Original post by HRhotness
I know because he normally has 0 minors and only one serious that causes the fail.

This is his problem.
You only need one major to fail and a major can be as simple as not checking your mirrors or blind spot (easily done, especially if he's been driving for years due to bad habits). I highly doubt that racism is involved since he has obviously taken his test several times and failed each time, presumably with a different instructor every time or most times.
Reply 4
Original post by xStaceyy
This is his problem.
You only need one major to fail and a major can be as simple as not checking your mirrors or blind spot (easily done, especially if he's been driving for years due to bad habits). I highly doubt that racism is involved since he has obviously taken his test several times and failed each time, presumably with a different instructor every time or most times.

ok thanks, when he comes back would let him know clearly he needs to pay more attention to details :smile:
Reply 5
Exactly what the above posters said. Bring the instructor with you. They've been with you ever since you started driving, so you'll probably feel more confident on the test.

And just to reiterate the others, the instructor gets to see what you're doing. If the examiner fails you when you've in fact committed no majors or excessive minors, this can easily be disputed.

P.s only one major? That's a definite fail, so I wouldn't say any foul play was involved. 16 or more minors, or one major is enough to fail you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
image.jpg
Reply 7
Oops I try to upload that with the post but it just came below, oh well it's just weird he kept failing and he's a good driver says the instructor who even said they have passed worse of his students, that upload is the only time he even has a mark on, his slip would come clean but with 1 serious that the examiner can't even account for and the instructor would say it is not a serious fault, as you can see in that upload, he had a serious that failed him just for undue hesitation, i told him well it might be serious but he said " the other car was speeding from the right and he waited to give way, if he dint wait the other driver would break harshly as he was close to him but the examiner said you could have gone quickly. The instructor was so upset as it was clearly unfair and said even if he went he might still fail him for being dangerous, thanks everyone.
(edited 10 years ago)
image.jpg

Undue hesitation as a serious? That sorta stuff normally goes down as a minor
Reply 9
Original post by de_monies

I'd been told it was an immediate fail, mainly in areas with traffic flow. It's risky as other impatient drivers might try and overtake. I suppose on minor roads it's not too much of an issue.
You can't know without being there and being an experienced instructor/tester.

Driver notoriously pick up bad habits from driving, which is what has probably happened. I don't know about Jamaica, but is it also possible that their driving instructors/tests are more lenient that ours? I'm not sure if there's international standards or not.

It might be racism. or it might be the pressure of exam conditions. I havent had a driving test, but at school/college I was fine during mock exams. But when it came to real exams I sometimes panicked and i'd be writing 3 times as much in the exam as I did in the mock.
(edited 10 years ago)
its a very difficult situation, you also have to question the instructor, it is in his interests to let someone believe that they'r a really good driver but are unlucky to be failed as they will almost certainly book more lessons
Reply 12
Original post by de_monies

Not 100% sure but if it happens a lot it can be serious.
He might just be a crap driver.
Hi everyone, I know many people respond negatively when someone needs help with a racist matter mainly because you are racist too :tongue: so if you don't care don't say anything rather than say things like he failed cos hes a weak driver because he's not and this is real.
I'm Caucasian and I passed my practical test 2nd time, I was awful and just a terrible driver but I passed with like 11 minor that's how bad I am even though I hit the kerb slightly etc. on the other hand my boyfriend has been driving for 10 years in Jamaica and a whole 1 year in UK and they kept failing him :frown: it's very frustrating each time because it has gone beyond faults it's just seems like pure racism now. I know because he normally has 0 minors and only one serious that causes the fail, all my friends and cousins have like 9 minors and pass narrowly, the things that an examiner would forgive a Caucasian for would be a fail for him. He had another test this afternoon and he failed again :s his instructor who is an old Caucasian man said he's going to log a complain and that his students who are worse are passing their test, his instructor said his driving is so clean during mock test and when the examiners say why they've failed him it would turn out to be a minor fault. I don't understand how they can keep failing someone who has 0 minor and the instructor would say its meant to be a minor fault but they gave him as serious. Should I book his test for him in a city then? Because we live in a rural racist town anyway .
I am not an ignorant person and will not play a race card but I believe he is being discriminated against. Shall I book the next one somewhere and can I complain at their office ? I feel upset because he's just feeling unwanted and awful day by day cos he has some self esteem issues, Regards

Yes I totally agree, I too is a jamaican living in a very racist town here in surrey and today made it 3 times I have failed my test.I have been driving for over 10yrs in Ja and a year in the UK, at first I said I will learn from my mistakes, but I think it has gone beyond minors and faults, there is other factors here at play. Once they see Jamaica on your provisional then thats it for you down here you are at a huge disadvantage. Having failed today and the reason given I am convinced that racism is a factor here.
Reply 15
He's probably developed a lot of bad habits from his 10 years of driving. They want you driving a certain way during your test and your bf is probably trying the cool 1 hand on the steering wheel stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yes I am in the same shoe with my last examiner. He is racist! I think he should just keep trying and soon would be lucky. Good luck.
If i will say racist is too three much in UK driving test it happen to me here in leicester,they fail me just because i am black,the english guys i drive with on training our instructor is telling him to see how am driving to learn from me .and we both have test the same day they pass him and fail me and that is my 3th test they have fail me 2wise b4,my instructor was not happy about it.
Original post by ss_s95
I'd been told it was an immediate fail, mainly in areas with traffic flow. It's risky as other impatient drivers might try and overtake. I suppose on minor roads it's not too much of an issue.

I got 2 minors for undue hesitation on the test i passed on.
Unless the undue hesitation causes a major issue, (for example you waiting for ages to go onto a roundabout when there where multiple occasions when you could have gone), then usually its a minor.

Id get the driving instructor to sit in on the test. The instructor can then see for themselves what happens during the test. It might be that he is being failed unfairly, or it might just be that he makes stupid mistakes during his test that he wouldnt normally make during lessons. If your boyfriend genuinely makes mistakes, then the instructor can give your boyfriend advice on how to improve. But if your boyfriend gets failed unfairly, then your boyfriend and the instructor can make a complaint of racism. Otherwise, if the instructor wasnt there, it would just be your boyfriends word against the examiners and you wouldnt get very far with a complaint.

Latest