This discussion is closed.
Gazza27
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello Everyone,

Just a question on options for funding a second degree? In 2010 I graduated with a Business Accounting Degree, but it was clear to me that this wasn't what I wanted to do halfway through the course. I took some poor advice from my parents (Although I have 2 hold myself responsible for not checking) which was to finish my degree as I was in the second year, had done a lot of work already and would have this to fall back on.

Anyway now long story short ACCOUNTING definitely is not for me! Id like to to back and do a second degree in a Science subject such as Sport Science or Forensics, something like that, But due to my first degree I can't get funding it would seem?

One thing that might be different for me is that I didn't get a student loan when I got my first degree, I just used a grant and bursary due to being Welsh and studying in Wales and they just about covered me.
Do you think I could get a student loan for a second degree as I never got one for my first one?

Thank You
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have a degree, how it was funded is irrelevant. There is no state funding available for you I'm afraid.
Gazza27
Rep:
?
Oh Mario,

Are you sure ?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, that's right. There are exceptions to the second degree funding, such as NHS degrees.
balotelli12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But they aren't on your list of choices are they?
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gazza27)

One thing that might be different for me is that I didn't get a student loan when I got my first degree, I just used a grant and bursary due to being Welsh and studying in Wales and they just about covered me.
Do you think I could get a student loan for a second degree as I never got one for my first one?

Thank You
As mentioned, whether you received funding or not for your previous degree is irrelevant. Even if you hadn't taken the bursary and grant, you still wouldn't be eligible for funding for most courses. It's not the case that everyone has a right to a student loan at least once in their life.

This is based on the Equal or Lesser Qualification rules. If you have a qualification equal to, or greater than, the qualification you hope to apply for then you are not entitled to funding. So what is important is solely your qualification level, not previous funding.

Some degrees are exempt from this, where you may get a student loan. These are largely certain professional degrees that are considered particularly important for the economy or at risk, such as architecture, town planning, medicine and subjects allied to medicine such as occupational therapy, radiography and speech and language therapy. Forensics and Sports Sciences are not on this list of exempt subjects, I'm afraid.

You can chose to do a second undergrad degree through the OU if you are in employment. You still won't be entitled to funding, and it will be a drain on even reasonable earnings. This is an option I considered a few years ago, as I had 100 additional credits from my undergrad degree, but with the increase in OU fees it's no longer a feasible option.
Gazza27
Rep:
?
Might sound stupid but: Is there anyway I could sort of dis-own my degree? I mean since completing it Ive achieved NVQs in AAT Accounting qualifications level 3&4 which are probably more practical anyway so if i needed 2 fall back on them I'd have them!

If I renounced my degree then my highest qualifications would be A levels no? So I could get funding for a degree being a higher qualification?

Or could I say I cheated to possibly get it stripped, Then could I get funding?
balotelli12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
None of that is possible!
River85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Might sound stupid but: Is there anyway I could sort of dis-own my degree? I mean since completing it Ive achieved NVQs in AAT Accounting qualifications level 3&4 which are probably more practical anyway so if i needed 2 fall back on them I'd have them!

If I renounced my degree then my highest qualifications would be A levels no? So I could get funding for a degree being a higher qualification?
You cannot "renounce" your degree, no.

If you chose to apply for a new degree you could chose to not disclose your degree on your UCAS application. However, to do so would be foolish and, if found out, would likely result in your application being cancelled.

And you'll still likely be caught out when you apply for student finance, as there will be a record of your previous application (for the grant and bursary).

Or could I say I cheated to possibly get it stripped, Then could I get funding?
You can't, no. This cheating would need to be proven.

Not only that, but even if they accepted this, and you had your degree taken from you , it would leave you in a difficult position when trying to get a UCAS reference as the university will mention the cheating. Do you think any university will take someone who has "cheated" in the past?

And there's still the student finance issue which will show a previous application, and that you received funding for 3(?) years? Even if you haven't received a degree, you've still received most, if not all, of the funding you are entitled to.
Gazza27
Rep:
?
What if I somehow got onto a master course in sport science? I only got a 2:2 in my degree, maybe because I wasn't really interested or maybe I just plain wasn't clever enough.

At my Uni you could do a masters in anything if you got 2:1 or higher and a master only in that subject if you got a 2:2! Anything lower than a Geoffrey and you couldn't progress.
So somehow if I managed to blag my way onto a master course in sports science, would there be funding available to me for that?

I mean I have the knowledge, when I was supposed to be studying for my accounting I was buying sports science textbooks and was reading them instead, Obviously I might be behind someone with a degree in the subject but if they gave me a test chance for knowledge I bet I could get in!

The only other alternative would be the BTEC,A Level or NVQ route at college but you have to pay for them unless you do them full time and I can't really afford to do that in my life right now having just turned 24. I would happily go back to Uni but feel I may be to old to attend a college full time.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if I somehow got onto a master course in sport science? I only got a 2:2 in my degree, maybe because I wasn't really interested or maybe I just plain wasn't clever enough.

At my Uni you could do a masters in anything if you got 2:1 or higher and a master only in that subject if you got a 2:2! Anything lower than a Geoffrey and you couldn't progress.
So somehow if I managed to blag my way onto a master course in sports science, would there be funding available to me for that?
Of course there is "funding" available for postgraduate degrees. However, not the same kind of funding available to undergraduate courses. There will be no state funded loan.

For postgrad you will usually get funding from sources such as Research Councils, various bodies, the universities themselves, charities and trusts. To gain funding is very competitive, and can take a significant amount of time in completing grant applications.

Getting funding in Sports Science, with a 2:2, will be very difficult. Ideally you need a first, or certainly no lower than a mid/high 2:1.

The only other alternative would be the BTEC,A Level or NVQ route at college but you have to pay for them unless you do them full time and I can't really afford to do that in my life right now having just turned 24. I would happily go back to Uni but feel I may be to old to attend a college full time.
I believe even if you do them FT you'll still need to pay for them as you are over 19, and have a degree.
Gazza27
Rep:
?
(Original post by River85)
Of course there is "funding" available for postgraduate degrees. However, not the same kind of funding available to undergraduate courses. There will be no state funded loan.

For postgrad you will usually get funding from sources such as Research Councils, various bodies, the universities themselves, charities and trusts. To gain funding is very competitive, and can take a significant amount of time in completing grant applications.

Getting funding in Sports Science, with a 2:2, will be very difficult. Ideally you need a first, or certainly no lower than a mid/high 2:1.

I believe even if you do them FT you'll still need to pay for them as you are over 19, and have a degree.

Thank you for all your help in this thread, you are very knowledgeable or perhaps you are just good at bearing bad news.

So basically the cliff notes for the TLDR party, is basically I am screwed correct??
balotelli12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
By George I think he's got it.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you for all your help in this thread, you are very knowledgeable or perhaps you are just good at bearing bad news.

So basically the cliff notes for the TLDR party, is basically I am screwed correct??
What River85 is telling is correct, I'm afraid.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I wouldn't phrase as "you are screwed". But realistically you aren't able to do a second undergraduate degree.

Doing a Masters may still be a possibility IF you are willing to work and save money to fund it. However, you ideally need relevant work/voluntary experience (especially as your undergrad degree isn't relevant). Your options with a 2:2 will be more limited.

The real cliff note is that, if you aren't willing to save up and got onto a Masters degree, or find the money to afford a second undergrad degree (higher fees, living costs) then you probably need to move on and accept it's not a possibility.
EcstaZEEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have quite a similar case, but less complicated one. I have international qualifications that are equivalent to an HND here in the UK, though I am doing A levels at the moment.

I am planning to apply to Oxford, and they said that I have a good chance in getting in, however I will be accepted in the first year of the BA Human Sciences degree, which I do not have any problems.

However, I am also concerned with funding, since I won't be able to afford it.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
River85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EcstaZEEH)
I have quite a similar case, but less complicated one. I have international qualifications that are equivalent to an HND here in the UK, though I am doing A levels at the moment.

I am planning to apply to Oxford, and they said that I have a good chance in getting in, however I will be accepted in the first year of the BA Human Sciences degree, which I do not have any problems.

However, I am also concerned with funding, since I won't be able to afford it.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you been informed that you are not entitled to funding? If so, is this just for the first year? Would you otherwise be eligible for UK funding?
EcstaZEEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I haven't really been properly informed or properly advised. But as far as my research is concerned, I am entitled for SLW funding, since I am a 'home student', but I'll receive funding on my 2nd year :|

Do you think I should just disregard my previous qualifications? Since I started from scratch here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Resonans
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Similar situation.. I would like to study Computer Science (foundation degree) at college in England. Is it possible to get a Tuition Fee Loan if I have bachelor's degree which I received at university in Lithuania one year ago? Are there other ways to finance studies? I am citizen of Lithuania (EU).
River85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Resonans)
Similar situation.. I would like to study Computer Science (foundation degree) at college in England. Is it possible to get a Tuition Fee Loan if I have bachelor's degree which I received at university in Lithuania one year ago? Are there other ways to finance studies? I am citizen of Lithuania (EU).
Even if you didn't have a previous degree, I think the only UK financial support you'd be entitled to is a tuition fee loan. EU students are not entitled to maintenance loans and grants (with some exceptions).

However, as you have a first degree then, no, you are not entitled to any funding at all I'm afraid. I don't know if the Lithuanian government, or any charities, will be able to offer support.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (278)
34.03%
No (539)
65.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed