The Student Room Group

"Dude, where's my gown?": The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

For Oxonians past and present (but not future. No applicants, no offer holders, no would-be applicants, no wannabes!) to procrastinate in. For complaining about your workload, sharing stories, asking for advice and (most importantly, of course) sharing Combibos love :biggrin:

Spam away, my dear friends, spam away! :colone:

(Thread title courtesy of dbmag9)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:woo:
Reply 2
:crast:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Dude, where's my gown?

Four universities, three degrees, one PG diploma and one "course" and the only gown I have is my Oxford scholars gown (whatever happened to my commoners' rag?)
Reply 4
I want a proper gown :frown: My brother's at Cambridge and even he has a gown with sleeves. And yes, I could become a scholar (but that requires a first in a humanities subject which requires becoming God). I just want the sleeves! I suppose the uniformity of gowns is better than the Tabs - some of their colleges don't even get gowns at all - but still...
Reply 5
Looking at rooms for next year today. Time moves so fast!
Original post by nulli tertius
Four universities, three degrees, one PG diploma and one "course" and the only gown I have is my Oxford scholars gown (whatever happened to my commoners' rag?)

:console: :hugs: :console:

Original post by Lacrimatra
I want a proper gown :frown: My brother's at Cambridge and even he has a gown with sleeves. And yes, I could become a scholar (but that requires a first in a humanities subject which requires becoming God). I just want the sleeves! I suppose the uniformity of gowns is better than the Tabs - some of their colleges don't even get gowns at all - but still...

Swooshies are def the best :yep: There's a better way to get them though: instrumental awards! :musicus: Do you play an instrument? :ninja:
Reply 7
Swooshies are def the best :yep: There's a better way to get them though: instrumental awards! :musicus: Do you play an instrument? :ninja:

Ah there lies the rub: said twin brother at Cambridge is also a virtuoso both on the clarinet and on the piano (the one instrument I do play) making it impossible for me to even touch the piano with him in the house simply because he is SO much better than me. (Yes, I may have an inferiority complex...)
Ah there lies the rub: said twin brother at Cambridge is also a virtuoso both on the clarinet and on the piano (the one instrument I do play) making it impossible for me to even touch the piano with him in the house simply because he is SO much better than me. (Yes, I may have an inferiority complex...)

If it's any consolation, I haven't played the piano (my principal instrument) properly in nearly 4 years. Which is a long time, for a muso :sadnod:
(but that requires a first in a humanities subject which requires becoming God).

I can assure you this is definitely not true :tongue: I'm a history scholar and definitely do not possess any form of divinity.

If it's any consolation, I haven't played the piano (my principal instrument) properly in nearly 4 years. Which is a long time, for a muso :sadnod:

I miss playing music properly so much! Oh well. I've got books instead :smile:

Original post by flywithemma
I can assure you this is definitely not true :tongue: I'm a history scholar and definitely do not possess any form of divinity.

Are you sure? :tongue: Well anyway, it seems to me that it is at least almost impossible to predict let alone guarantee scholarships in the arts. Or maybe I'm being too pessimistic? I don't know.
fluteflute

Hey CompSci and Philosophy here: which year are you in? (college of course also be interesting, but you may not want to be that identifiable!)

Went to Combibos for the first time today! Absolutely flooded with Christians...

How funny, I went to Combibos for the first time last week (and thought of TLG) but was surrounded by observant Jews. Their chocolate milkshakes are awesome :awesome:
Reply 12
Original post by anyone_can_fly
How funny, I went to Combibos for the first time last week (and thought of TLG) but was surrounded by observant Jews. Their chocolate milkshakes are awesome :awesome:

I love this :smile: And Combibos is amazing - I might just have to try their chocolate milkshakes next time I go!
I doubt anyone's that interested but I just finished the essay that I was procrastinating by registering with TSR in the first place. This makes me happy so I thought I'd share it with you!

Also, I'm glad I procrastinated on here in the first place - you guys are lovely :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly

Original post by hoodlie
I love this :smile: And Combibos is amazing - I might just have to try their chocolate milkshakes next time I go!

Yay for Combibos love :grouphugs:

I doubt anyone's that interested but I just finished the essay that I was procrastinating by registering with TSR in the first place. This makes me happy so I thought I'd share it with you!

Also, I'm glad I procrastinated on here in the first place - you guys are lovely :smile:

Awww, glad you found us hun! Well done you :biggrin: :yep: :biggrin:
Original post by flywithemma

I disagree, I was in your college the other day and your name was up for some kind of academic achievement, therefore you are a god of some form :ninja:

PS, guys I actually left my gown at home (along with the rest of my sub-fusc), I think my family found it in my sister's wardrobe :iiam:. Now I can't go to Worcester formals until I get it back...:facepalm:

Oxfordproblems.
Reply 16
Original post by dbmag9
Looking at rooms for next year today. Time moves so fast!

I totally missed that this was happening and my room was a tip. How embarrassing. I thought "oh, well, at least nobody will know it was my room," and then realised I put my name card from some meal or other in the slot on the door. Oops.
Original post by Niki_girl
I disagree, I was in your college the other day and your name was up for some kind of academic achievement, therefore you are a god of some form :ninja:

PS, guys I actually left my gown at home (along with the rest of my sub-fusc), I think my family found it in my sister's wardrobe :iiam:. Now I can't go to Worcester formals until I get it back...:facepalm:

Oxfordproblems.

Nick someone else's gown. Problem solved :colone: Can't be going without Woosta formals. Lack of Woosta formals is VERY bad for the soul :sadnod:

:console:
Nick someone else's gown. Problem solved :colone: Can't be going without Woosta formals. Lack of Woosta formals is VERY bad for the soul :sadnod:

I've lent my gown to a friend, so I'm currently gownless too :tongue:
Original post by fluteflute
I've lent my gown to a friend, so I'm currently gownless too :tongue:

Quick Reply