The Student Room Group

Can i be successful with average iq

five days ago i was tested for iq. i got 113 points. i feel like total loser. I know im being harsh on myself, but i just cant help it. Im currently studying for Ma. I wish i never would have taken the test. I had plans with my future, now i feel like im stuck in the middle of nothing and that no matter how hard i try i will not be able to be successful at what i want to do. my goal was to work in NGO, human rights sector. But how can I go on now, knowing my inteligence hinders my prospects to sufficiently and comprehensively aid others. Nobel goal, but not enough cognitive fuel to skilfully generate meaningful and proactive deeds and results. .
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lord Sugar isn't a mensa member-
Reply 2
Original post by rageagainstessays
Lord Sugar isn't a mensa member-

Thats probably because he has never taken one. Judging from his success, theres no need to officially consolidate his high intelectual level:smile:
That's still above average. Are you saying that the majority of people are unsuccessful losers? Your IQ doesn't limit you to a certain level of achievement. Maybe you'll have to work slightly harder to achieve the top academic grades that people with a higher IQ, or perhaps take very slightly longer to work something out. To be honest, revising for IQ tests can improve your scores, which suggests that it isn't a 100% perfect measure of measuring intelligence. In fact, I'm not convinced that it really says anything about you except that you're not completely thick. Don't stress about it! You still have a good chance of getting the job you want if you work hard at it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by BELIEVEME

knowing my inteligence hinders my prospects to sufficiently and comprehensively aid others.

The only hindrance I can see is your lack of common sense

An IQ does not define you
Your IQ doesn't measure your talent or skills, so no.
Reply 6
five days ago i was tested for iq. i got 113 points. i feel like total loser. I know im being harsh on myself, but i just cant help it. Im currently studying for Ma. I wish i never would have taken the test. I had plans with my future, now i feel like im stuck in the middle of nothing and that no matter how hard i try i will not be able to be successful at what i want to do. my goal was to work in NGO, human rights sector. But how can I go on now, knowing my inteligence hinders my prospects to sufficiently and comprehensively aid others. Nobel goal, but not enough cognitive fuel to skilfully generate meaningful and proactive deeds and results. .

IQ is irrelevant.
Success I would say is more luck, determination, attitude, hard work etc. than IQ/intelligence.

I have a 99th percentile IQ yet I am in my 4th year of college. Albeit because of mental health problems but still. IQ isn't the be all and end all.
I promise you, the most successful people in the world are overwhelmingly not those with the highest IQ (except in academia). It certainly helps, but the things that will make you successful are;

- Complete dedication.
- Genuine love of what you do (thus aiding complete dedication).
- Attention to detail.
- A knack for dealing with people, (or at least understanding them).
- Discipline.

Point 4 can occasionally be substituted by a maverick genius streak that makes someone else 'discover' you, though this is rare.

A human lifetime is short. Our brains are designed to soak up information all the time, but most people never use that function to a fraction of its capacity. Quite often it's not our ability to process that information that matters, but the quantity in which we accept it. This could be anything from developing your social skills through constant interaction to a degree in theoretical physics. If you really want something you already have an edge over anyone with a high IQ who takes whatever they are given and never looks for anything more.

In short, get learning, interacting and planning a great future :smile:
Reply 8
IQ tests seem to me to be measures of how well one recognises shapes, sequences, etc. rather than intelligence. So yes, you can be successful with an IQ of 113 (which sounds above average to me).
Reply 9
yes you can, i know someone who graduated from cambridge with a degree in medicine (and he earned a scholarship) with a lower iq than that... so don't stress :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
There's a very interesting book called 'The Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell which I can't recommend enough. It explains many things surrounding success and why certain people do well in life.

One of the things it explains is how there is little link between higher IQ and greater success. It suggests that having the highest IQ won't make you more successful as there is a "tipping point" and once you're past this point then more IQ is irrelevant.

The book explains it in a lot more detail that I havr touched on but if yiu were worroed that your IQ would let you down then read that book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yes you can. It's like my mama used to say, stupid is as stupid does.
Reply 12
I have a an IQ of 126 according to some school test's I took back when I was in year 10. But I had little motivation to apply myself towards my A levels so I ended up getting BCCD rather than the A*AAB I was predicted. some of that was due to outward pressures, But I mostly blame my lack of motivation.

I am just saying IQ really isn't the be all end all of anything. IQ only measures your aptitude at the subjects they test. it completely ignores things like creativity, motivation and the drive of someone to work hard and succeed.

I only started really changing my attitude to work in my second year of uni. Hard work and time pays off rather than relying on intellect. I am on my way to a first in my second year because I worked hard I spent hours organising notes and reading around my subject and lots of practice programming (I'm a computer scientist :tongue:).
Your success in a biased, arbitrary test does determine whether or not you can expect success or not later in life. You also cannot be successful unless you have above average height, sperm count and TSR rep.
five days ago i was tested for iq. i got 113 points. i feel like total loser. I know im being harsh on myself, but i just cant help it. Im currently studying for Ma. I wish i never would have taken the test. I had plans with my future, now i feel like im stuck in the middle of nothing and that no matter how hard i try i will not be able to be successful at what i want to do. my goal was to work in NGO, human rights sector. But how can I go on now, knowing my inteligence hinders my prospects to sufficiently and comprehensively aid others. Nobel goal, but not enough cognitive fuel to skilfully generate meaningful and proactive deeds and results.

You are reading way too much into this. There's no agreement what IQ tests are even measuring. Moreover, there are plenty of other mental qualities which are better understood and which are more valuable, like common sense, empathy, courage and determination, to name but a few.
edit: and I agree with ANONYMOOSE
OP, you aren't gonna make the cut anyway due to abyssmal common sense.
Reply 16
yes, i understand what youre saying. Academically im doing just fine. I mean if i dont study enough i get average grades, if study more than enough i can score above average. But theres still this persistant self-belittling. I guess im just going to have to work 5 times harder as someone who is naturally gifted to master the area i want to commit my life to. I do not mind doing this, because theres nothing i would rather do then help people.
Even forgetting the fact that the IQ is completely unimportant and irrelevant, an IQ of 113 is still in the top 20% of people. That's definitely not average, unless the definition of average has changed since I last checked it.
I definitely subscribe to the idea that IQ tests mainly test your ability to take IQ tests. They test very specific areas and the assessment criteria and priorities between tests can vary hugely. Areas such as non-verbal reasoning (in the way that they are tested) seem very unnatural and removed from day to day life and provide a good example of something you can practice to recognise common testing strategies, patterns and things to look out for.

To be honest the whole idea of reducing a person's intelligence down to one number is something I find really abhorrent and unsettling. To attempt to define all that a person is intellectually and all they can hope to be is something I find dangerous as well and ridiculous.

Oh and David Mitchell's rant about Mensa is good also!

[video="youtube;qPMKqyaXtHI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMKqyaXtHI[/video]
Reply 19
I think IQ is almost like raw, untaught intelligence and qualifications show your ability to do something. I have a higher IQ but I guarantee you'll have been a levels or equivalent and probably higher GCSE's than me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending