The Student Room Group

iGCSE History - How to answer each of the questions

Hi,

Please can you tell me how to answer the following questions with regards to the structure.

Paper 1: 5, 7, 8 marks
Paper 2: 6, 7, 8, 12 marks
Paper 4: 6, 7, 7 marks

Thanks,

M.
Hi,

paper 1: 5 marks - 5 facts.
7 marks - 2 developed points (2 good paragraphs)
8 marks - 2 developed points (same as 7 marks) but with conclusion at end (short para.)

Paper 2: Depends on the question e.g. are you surprised/reliability/usefulness/contradictions are generally one paragraph but there are no set ways to do it. if it is a how far question you must do 2 sides and a conclusion.

Paper 4: the first 6 mark one is 3 inferences (identify with a quote and then infer from that). The section B 6 marks is 3 undeveloped points. I don't which sections you are referring to for the 7 marks ones so can't help you there.

Good luck for paper 1 on Tuesday!!!
Reply 2
So, my way is a little bit different, but not too much so

Paper 1: 5 marks question - 5 relevant facts

7 marks question - 2 to 4 points with explanation, not just stating the points but writing the consequences etc. of the point

8 marks question - as my teacher likes to say "mini essay": one side with 3 to 4 points arguing for the statement, one side arguing against the argument (both about 2 paragraphs) and a conclusion "how far", "to what extent"

Paper 2: It really depends on the different questions, but to get the top band you must always give the overall message or similar

Paper 4: I'm assuming you're talking about the source questions
6 marks source question(Source A) - several inferences from sources: quote from source and infer from that quote about what the question is asking.

7 marks source question(Source B) - several points arguing for one side and several points arguing for the other and a short conclusion

7 marks source question(comparing two sources) - Choice made on the grounds of reliability.Discussion of utility must be made on valid evaluation of source(s) in context.Include at this Level answers that cross-reference between A and B to showreliability.
6 marks for one source, 7 marks for both.
^ Taken from mark scheme.

Hope it helps and good luck on paper 1 :smile:
Reply 3
I'm currently living in Brazil and I am doing my IGCSEs at the moment:
From what I've also heard, if you want to get the higher marks in the Source Based, you have to think outside the box in terms of whats given to you. This means you always have to examine the:
- Reliability
-Accuracy
- Who is it aiming towards
- Being Biased or not

Overall, it honestly depends on the questions says, and also make sure you know the knowledge of the topic as well, since you do get the higher marks when trying to argue against the source. But these are information that I've heard from my History teacher. Hope that helps regardless, and best of luck in your examinations :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest