Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi people,

Does anyone have any essay plans/grade A example answers or revision notes they could send me?

I took ECON 3 in january and although I understand most of the concepts I always struggle to structure the essay and write what they want you to write about, and ended up not getting the grade I wanted. Hence I am resitting it in June along with ECON4

If any of you could help me it would be much appreciated, and I will try to return the favour if ever needed

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude, I'm in the same position as you. I showed my teacher and he said that in class my analysis is good, but in the exam (I got my script back), it was non existent. I got like L4 writing, which is what the examiner wrote on my paper. I'm dreading unit 3, I hate it so much.

ReputationRep:
    Unit 3 is basically a bunch of different markets all based on huge (normally, non-exisitent in the real world) assumptions.

To get a good mark you need to have high evaluation, so make sure you know all the assumptions that are made in each market, highlight them, and explain why they are unrealistic in the real world. This is great evaluation as you are providing critique for the economic concepts you are being assessed on. Also, if you can throw in some examples then this would be good.

E.G If you mention contestable markets, it assumes perfect knowledge - but in reality, this is not possible. Expand on this ...(impefect information, inequality through patents, illegal practices etc)

Also, if you struggle with structure then mark schemes are your best friend! Look at what the examiner is wanting in an answer. E.G start with definitions in your introduction, explain what market best describes the situation in the source, quote the extracts, question the assumptions etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homeboy Hotel)
    Unit 3 is basically a bunch of different markets all based on huge (normally, non-exisitent in the real world) assumptions.

To get a good mark you need to have high evaluation, so make sure you know all the assumptions that are made in each market, highlight them, and explain why they are unrealistic in the real world. This is great evaluation as you are providing critique for the economic concepts you are being assessed on. Also, if you can throw in some examples then this would be good.

E.G If you mention contestable markets, it assumes perfect knowledge - but in reality, this is not possible. Expand on this ...(impefect information, inequality through patents, illegal practices etc)

Also, if you struggle with structure then mark schemes are your best friend! Look at what the examiner is wanting in an answer. E.G start with definitions in your introduction, explain what market best describes the situation in the source, quote the extracts, question the assumptions etc.
    thanks for that, i used the markschemes last time, i'll try focusing on evaluation this time, and relating it to the data see if that helps me!

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's good. I didn't really evaluate in terms of critiquing assumptions last time around. I'm going to try and do that more!

Also, my analysis has improved after doing preparing for unit 2 and 4, which is helping my unit 3. Shouldn't be too bad.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.