Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe all humans are born equal? Or do you believe that children with wealthy parents deserve to be wealthy also. If so why? For example do you believe that the wealthy children are genetically superior and hence that is why their parents are wealthy? Or just lucky? Or do you believe that there is no such thing as society and all human families should be in competition with each other. And that wealth should pass on through genetically similar relations and offspring? Similarly, do you believe that genetically different populations should be in competition with each other? Perhaps you believe that certain populations of humans deserve to be richer than others?

My hunch is that there are a lot more fascists than communists in this forum!

ReputationRep:
    Children with wealthy parents don't deserve to be wealthy no, but they aren't so undeserving that we should simply take all that money away. We have to weigh up the fact that people are entitled to do whatever they so please with their money (to an extent of course) and that includes pampering their children.
    Although I don't see how redistributing that wealth and simply replacing rich parents with the taxpayer as a source of people's funding is any fairer.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it is a reality that individuals nor groups are equal in ability although they should be equal before the law. All empirical (actual and predictive) and anecdotal data throughout the world over the last 120 years bears this out.

Some people get lucky with regards to wealth but mostly the more capable people gravitate to the top. Obviously the structure of a society will determine how many people reach the top but the most capable will still be there.

It is a parent's right to give their children an advantage and if a society is open for everyone to move up ultimately it is a minor advantage given a generation or two.

Some form of social assistance is a good idea BUT such assistance only works effectively (and fairly) within homogeneous societies. Ironically in the Western world people are no longer equal before the law as minorities are giving special status. In other places it is even worse, like South Africa, where the constitution is written to advantage black over white.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who does:
    Name:  3tqsow.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  19.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Some more than others.

ReputationRep:
    No, you'd be silly to think people are born equal.

I'm not stating how things should be, just how they are.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is born equal. Wealthy are no important than the poor. With attaining certain positions in life, we obtain certain duties. Wealthy=more donations to church and poor. People born into wealth are born with duties as well..

For news about Scottish independence, click here.
    SCOTS, if you r truly love SCOTLAND then vote yes. To vote no in unpatriotic, failing to have faith in yourselves and in your country. )I dont mean Salmond, if you dont like him then the easiest way to vote him out is to vote YES!)

ReputationRep:
    We aren't all born equal. We've all got different characteristics, traits, and abilities, and we should have a society that reflects those differences and benefits from them.

Children with wealthy parents don't necessarily deserve to be wealthy, but wealthy parents do deserve the right to pass on their wealth to their children and provide for them to the fullest of their ability. It's their money, they earned it, they should be able to do what they want with it.

ReputationRep:
    We'd all like to think we're equal, but obviously that's just bs.

ReputationRep:
    Most people are pretty comfortable with inequality as long as they feel like they are within the superior group.

Lets say you have a kid born to a comfortable middle class family and he goes to a private school. His mate down the council estate says how come you get to go to a private school, get top class teaching and enjoy the best facilities while I'm in a cramped classroom with stressed out teachers trying to deal with kids stabbing each other? The rich kid just says well sorry but thats the way life is, nobody said life was fair, we aren't all equal, if you work hard you will get the same opportunities as me anyway.

So the poor kid works hard and then gets accepted to uni. He meets the rich kid who is stressed out because he can't afford to go to uni, his parents earn over the threshold for all the freebies and government help and his parents have told him they aren't going to subsidise him any more, he can get out and stand on his own too feet. Meanwhile the poor kid says oh I get grants and all sorts because my parents were on low income so I'm off to uni.

At this point the rich kid becomes an advocate for equality for all! "How is it fair that YOU get free money to go to university just because of the luck of birth, whereas I don't?" The poor kid just tells him, sorry thats the way life is, nobody said life was fair, we aren't all equal, university isn't for everyone and there are too many graduates anyway, why don't you just get a job and work your way up from the bottom.

So the rich kid goes down the job centre to try and look for a job and somewhere to live as his parents are kicking him out. He asks if he can get on a housing list but they say sorry mate you will have to get a private flat, there's nothing for you. But he meets a pregnant girl with two screaming babies in a pram and she tells him she has got a council flat because she was pregnant. He meets an asylum seeker that tells him he has got a council flat and a free mobile phone because of his asylum status. How is this fair?? Just because of an accident of birth other people are getting given things that he never got??

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe all humans are born equal?

No.
    Or do you believe that children with wealthy parents deserve to be wealthy also. If so why?

I don't know if they deserve to be wealthy. But it's reality. They are wealthy. No need to debate it.

For example do you believe that the wealthy children are genetically superior and hence that is why their parents are wealthy?

No. Wealth is acquired by hard work applied intelligently over a long period of time.

Or just lucky? Or do you believe that there is no such thing as society and all human families should be in competition with each other. And that wealth should pass on through genetically similar relations and offspring?

Society exists. However, the bonds are quite weak. We can see a homeless person on the street and ignore them, even though we could probably do something to help. The only time society truly exists is when there is a common enemy or when a truly horrific situation arises. Then we see society.

There is competition at every stage of life. We compete to enrol in the best schools and universities. We compete for our jobs.

Similarly, do you believe that genetically different populations should be in competition with each other? Perhaps you believe that certain populations of humans deserve to be richer than others?

If someone has acquired their wealth, they deserve it. They have worked hard and/or taken a certain amount of risk in order to acquire it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    What the hell?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Do you believe all humans are born equal? Or do you believe that children with wealthy parents deserve to be wealthy also. If so why? For example do you believe that the wealthy children are genetically superior and hence that is why their parents are wealthy? Or just lucky? Or do you believe that there is no such thing as society and all human families should be in competition with each other. And that wealth should pass on through genetically similar relations and offspring? Similarly, do you believe that genetically different populations should be in competition with each other? Perhaps you believe that certain populations of humans deserve to be richer than others?

People should be able to do what they want with their money. A basic level of tax is necessary to ensure some vital functions work i.e. army, education to a certain extent, but anything beyond that is essentially just theft. Individuals should be given the basic requirements for a successful life, it's up to them to build on that and improve their lives.
    I hate spoiled children as much as the next man, but jealousy offers no grounds for redistribution and you cannot expect lawmakers to enact on that basis.

Often the greatest two statements posed to those who object to inheritance, particularly amongst the wealthy, are as follows:

1) Just because their children did not earn the wealth, does not mean you should be entitled to it either.
    2) By objecting to the wealthy passing property onto their children, you are effectively doing the same for your own. Universality is a principle of fairness here, and I don't think anyone likes the notion of everything they owned/made being confiscated at death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WATKINS94)
    Everyone is born
    equal. Wealthy are no important than the poor.
    With attaining certain positions in life, we obtain
    certain duties. Wealthy=more donations to
    church and poor.
    People born into wealth are
    born with duties as well..

No it doesn't. Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you have to give it to charities to help the poor. Also, you're assuming that ALL rich people are Christians or even have a religion? That's a silly assumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Most people are pretty comfortable with inequality as long as they feel like they are within the superior group.
    There's a lot of truth in that.

OP, I agree it's not fair for some children to be born into wealth, but I also think it's a sacred right for a parent to pass their wealth on to their offspring. Communism eradicates the abyss of poverty, but it also means there's nothing to work for. What is the point in working hard all your life only to have everything taken away from you?

To some extent you can say "what does it mean to have freedom to starve?". I agree that most of the population are more concerned with survival than fulfilling their dreams, and this is why I wouldn't go for full-out capitalism either. However, it is basic human nature to want the freedom to work for something, to build up a future, and invest things in your children so that your legacy lasts beyond your death. You might disagree with the logic behind this, but it is a very human instinct, and should be every parent's right. Not the child's right, the parent's right.

I am fairly sure I would think the same if I was living in poverty, but obviously I have no way of knowing. I don't like the idea of building a future that I can only enjoy once it's too late, and that my children will never see.

Also;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

ReputationRep:
    Well everything makes sense if we look into life as a test, a unique test to each unique individual who was made unique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All people are born equal in the sense that everyone deserves the same human rights etc. A Nobleman is not genetically or ethnically superior to a penniless tramp for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    All people are born equal in the sense that everyone deserves the same human rights etc. A Nobleman is not genetically or ethnically superior to a penniless tramp for example.
    Spoken like an True Humanist.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what kind of wealthy you mean - I have no problem with great families and country gentleman whose ancestors have always owned land continuing to own it, but have less respect for the nouveaux riches​. However, this does not mean they are superior to others in any genetic way; everyone is born "equal in dignity and rights".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habsburg)
    Depends on what kind of wealthy you mean - I have no problem with great families and country gentleman whose ancestors have always owned land continuing to own it, but have less respect for the nouveaux riches​. However, this does not mean they are superior to others in any genetic way; everyone is born "equal in dignity and rights".
    Shouldn't that be the other way round?

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.