The Student Room Group

Contour Integration - my solution for real integral is complex?

So I've had a crack at this contour integration question and have somehow managed to get a complex solution for a real integral... I've gone through my working a number of times but can't seem to find the mistake, so was wondering if anyone on TSR could help.

The Question

Evaluate the integral

[br]I=ππdθa+bcosθ+csinθ[br][br]I=\int^\pi_{-\pi} \frac{\,d\theta}{a+b\cos\theta+c\sin\theta}[br]

where aa, bb, cc are real positive constants such that a2>b2+c2>0a^2>b^2+c^2>0

My Attempt

Consider the complex function

f(z)=1az+12b(z2+1)+12ic(z21)f(z)=\frac{1}{az+\frac{1}{2}b(z^2+1)+\frac{1}{2i}c(z^2-1)}

This has simple poles when denominator equals zero, i.e. at z=z1z=z_1 and z=z2z=z_2, where

z1=a+a2(b2+c2)bicz_1=\frac{-a+\sqrt{a^2-(b^2+c^2)}}{b-ic} and z2=aa2(b2+c2)bicz_2=\frac{-a-\sqrt{a^2-(b^2+c^2)}}{b-ic}

by the quadratic formula. See that z2>z1()|z_2|>|z_1|\,\,\,\,\,\,(*).

Note that
z1z2=z1z2=b2+c2(bic)2=1|z_1||z_2|=|z_1 z_2|=\left|\frac{b^2+c^2}{(b-ic)^2}\right|=1

Referring back to ()(*) we see that z1<1|z_1|<1 and z2>1|z_2|>1.

Res[f(z),z1]=limzz1[(zz1)f(z)]=1z1z2=bic2a2b2c2\text{Res}[f(z), z_1]=lim_{z\to z_1}[(z-z_1)f(z)]=\frac{1}{z_1-z_2}=\frac{b-ic}{2 \sqrt{a^2-b^2-c^2}}

Since z1z_1 is the only pole enclosed by the contour z=1|z|=1, by the residue theorem:

z=1f(z)dz=2πiRes[f(z),z1]()\oint_{|z|=1}f(z)dz=2\pi i \text{Res}[f(z), z_1]\,\,\,\,\,\,(**)

Along the contour z=1|z|=1, we can write
z=eiθz=e^{i\theta}
dz=ieiθdθdz=ie^{i\theta}d\theta with θ\theta in [π,π][-\pi,\pi]

Then

z=1f(z)dz=ππieiθaeiθ+12b(e2iθ+1)+12ic(e2iθ1)dθ=iππ1a+12b(eiθ+eiθ)+12ic(eiθeiθ)dθ=iI\oint_{|z|=1}f(z)dz=\int^\pi_{-\pi}\frac{ie^{i\theta}}{ae^{i \theta}+\frac{1}{2}b(e^{2 i \theta}+1)+\frac{1}{2i}c(e^{2 i \theta}-1)}d\theta=i\int^\pi_{-\pi}\frac{1}{a+\frac{1}{2}b(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i \theta})+\frac{1}{2i}c(e^{i \theta}-e^{-i \theta})}d\theta=iI

Returning to ()(**), we see that

I=2πRes[f(z),z1]=bica2b2c2πI=2\pi\text{Res}[f(z), z_1]=\frac{b-ic}{\sqrt{a^2-b^2-c^2}}\pi

Why is my result complex? I'd appreciate it if someone could point out where I went wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IchiCC

Note that
=b2+c2(bic)2=1=\left|\frac{b^2+c^2}{(b-ic)^2}\right|=1

Can't say I know anything about contour integration ( :sad:), however I can't see the justification for that equalling 1.

Refering back to the original quadratic, the product of the two roots is:

b/2 + ci/2 Rubbsh.

Edit: And why am I awake at 2 o'clock in the morning?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Can't say I know anything about contour integration ( :sad:), however I can't see the justification for that equalling 1.

Refering back to the original quadratic, the product of the two roots is:

b/2 + ci/2

z1z2=z1z2=a2[a2(b2+c2)](bic)2=b2+c2(bic)2=(b+ic)(bic)(bic)2=(b+ic)(bic)|z_1||z_2|=|z_1 z_2|=\left|\frac{a^2-[a^2-(b^2+c^2)]}{(b-ic)^2}\right|=\left|\frac{b^2+c^2}{(b-ic)^2}\right|=\left|\frac{(b+ic)(b-ic)}{(b-ic)^2}\right|=\left|\frac{(b+ic)}{(b-ic)}\right|
=b+icbic=b2+c2b2+c2=1=\frac{|b+ic|}{|b-ic|}=\sqrt{\frac{b^2+c^2}{b^2+c^2}}=1
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IchiCC

Yep, sorry for wasting your time. I missed the coeff. of z^2 in my calculation.

I clearly shouldn't be doing maths at this time of the morning.
Reply 4
Yep, sorry for wasting your time. I missed the coeff. of z^2 in my calculation.

I clearly shouldn't be doing maths at this time of the morning.

Haha don't worry. Yeah I should really be going to bed at this hour...
Original post by IchiCC
Haha don't worry. Yeah I should really be going to bed at this hour...

2nd attempt - hoping to redeem himself.

f(z)1(zz1)(zz2)\displaystyle f(z) \not=\frac{1}{(z-z_1)(z-z_2)}

It's missing the coefficint of z^2. (As I did initially).

Res[f(z),z1]=limzz1[(zz1)f(z)]=limzz1[(zz1)(b2+c2i)(zz1)(zz2)]\displaystyle\text{Res}[f(z), z_1]=\lim_{z\to z_1}[(z-z_1)f(z)]=\lim_{z\to z_1}\left[\frac{(z-z_1)}{(\frac{b}{2}+\frac{c}{2i})(z-z_1)(z-z_2)}\right]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
2nd attempt - hoping to redeem himself.

f(z)1(zz1)(zz2)\displaystyle f(z) \not=\frac{1}{(z-z_1)(z-z_2)}

It's missing the coefficint of z^2. (As I did initially).

Res[f(z),z1]=limzz1[(zz1)f(z)]=limzz1[(zz1)(b2+c2i)(zz1)(zz2)]\displaystyle\text{Res}[f(z), z_1]=\lim_{z\to z_1}[(z-z_1)f(z)]=\lim_{z\to z_1}\left[\frac{(z-z_1)}{(\frac{b}{2}+\frac{c}{2i})(z-z_1)(z-z_2)}\right]

Definitely redeemed! Thanks for spotting it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest