Turn on thread page Beta

School sports - the Goverment wants to know what you think watch

• View Poll Results: School sports: I...
    I love(d) them
    35.92%
    I hate(d) them
    40.82%
    They were alright
    23.27%

ReputationRep:
    The Government has launched an inquiry into school sports, with the aim of figuring out how to keep the enthusiasm around London 2012 alive...

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...g-london-2012/

If you still participate in school sports, how do you feel about it? What's great about it, and what could be changed/improved?

If you've left school (like me), how did you feel about it? Did you constantly fake illness and have unsupportive teachers (like me) or did you love it?

NB: There's also twitter conversation going on with the #schoolsports hashtag.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it mainly because we had great and enthusiastic teachers. Was my only chance of escape as well considering we had a 9-4 day with no 'outside break time'.

ReputationRep:
    I personally didn't like PE at school (but that could be partly due to my lack of fitness) because, up to a point, it wasn't very flexible in what people could do and it only really seemed to appeal to all the lads who love football and that sort of thing. However, I enjoyed it more after Year 9 when we could choose from two options which one we wanted to do, so I was able to do indoor sports like trampolining and badminton (which I really liked).

However, I think there needs to be two subdivisions of PE in school - one towards sport, and the other one towards fitness and maintaining good general health. They failed to emphasise the latter in my school, which is a bit worrying considering how being fit is important for everyone but sport doesn't appeal to some people. If anything there should be options between sports and gyms, where students could go on treadmills etc. to keep fit.

ReputationRep:
    hated them

P.E teacher was an arrogant old hag

ReputationRep:
    Liked it because always liked sports, wasn't really dependent on who was the teacher or what type of sport

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on whether you get an enthusiastic pe teacher or not..i love sport, but it really kills it when u get a crap teacher

ReputationRep:
    I like it mainly because I like sport in general and I'm very sporty and athletic, but teachers and coaching staff for all the sports we do in my school are very enthusiastic, professional, friendly and outgoing so that definitely adds to it! Plus, it's a great way to connect different year groups of the school and to meet new people outside your groups.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I disliked school sports, as I felt constrained to do sports at school. But in my leisure time I began to do sport and now I'm interest in fitness and martial arts and practice them. I have no idea whether my comment is important for the opinion poll, as I don't live in Great Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I hate PE with all my being. It is literally like public humiliation. I am honestly the most uncoordinated person in the whole world.

What I don't understand is why I get put through this living hell twice a week when the overweight people always manage to get out of it somehow. Isn't the whole purpose of doing PE to help stop obesity?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tegami)
    (...)
    What I don't understand is why I get put through this living hell twice a week when the overweight people always manage to get out of it somehow. Isn't the whole purpose of doing PE to help stop obesity?!
    I think so too. PE should help people to keep or to get fitness, especially overweight people. Otherwise school sports, which consists of PE, makes no sense in my opinion.

Although I was quite good in school sports, I disliked it for another reason, namely that pupils around me didn't accept my appearance.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what they were, some of the 'summer sports' were good, but I hate athletics and playing stuff like Rugby/Cross Country!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I hated my hockey teachers because they were teaching the whole year group once a week so unless you played after school hockey they didn't know you and just yelled at you. I preferred it when I hit 4th year when I could do badminton and things instead.

Then in 5th year and 6th year I did charity work instead. But I went to an independent school so sports wasn't compulsory after 4th year.

ReputationRep:
    Myself and enough others would have been happy playing football whenever we were out of the classroom, only to be told to stop in 6th form because we should be inside studying so we could boost the school's grades a smidgen rather than keeping ourselves healthy and sane. Plus we only had 50 minutes for lunch (20 minute morning break) meaning less time for running around stuff.

In short, I enjoyed playing sports, but we were stifled.

ReputationRep:
    I hated PE with an absolute passion. I didn't mind it in year 8 when I got moved down a set and had the nice teacher but in year 7 and year 9+ I mostly had this awful teacher that was actually in the army at one point so you can imagine how militant she was. She held this grudge against me from the beginning of year 7 right through to year 11 because I'm 5ft9" but wouldn't join her basketball team. :rolleyes:

Even when I could pick my options in year 10 & 11 I ended up not getting the ones I wanted to do so that made me hate it even more. Needless to say, I was conveniently "very sick" for an hour on PE days.

ReputationRep:
    I disliked 'Compulsory sports'. I would have tried harder if there were working showers at school. I'm honestly not going to sweat my ass off to sit in another sweaty classroom
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chocip)
    I hated PE with an absolute passion. I didn't mind it in year 8 when I got moved down a set and had the nice teacher but in year 7 and year 9+ I mostly had this awful teacher that was actually in the army at one point so you can imagine how militant she was. (...)
    Yes, I can. I can imagine that you thought you was in the army. I wonder how she became a teacher and why she left the army. Was she just in compulsory military service or was she really employed in the army?

ReputationRep:
    I hated it. Completely, utterly hated it.

I was quite an active child and good at things like sprinting and even mid-distance running to some extent, and was the best table tennis player in my age bracket in the county. Unfortunately, I was awful at team sports, and this is where my school placed emphasis. And where my problems with PE rested.

It became like an hour of teacher-approved bullying because I didn't know who to pass a ball to or even where the ball was coming in my direction from... My only slight reprieve was the time I broke someone's shin bone in hockey and got banned from it forevermore.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd like to point out that it was an accident - she declined to wear shin pads and unfortunately ran across my path just as I was about to hit the disc-thing.

ReputationRep:
    My school operated in ability for sports which generally made it more fun all-round for everyone, and due to it being a big school there was quite a bit of choice. However, this was only introduced in year 9.

I believe gym and general fitness is more important than learning football or basketball though - and I love those sports.

ReputationRep:
    I would have enjoyed sports at school if my school had offered football. But apparently they considered football to be too much of a commoner's sport. Even though in my opinion, it requires a lot more brains than some of the "posh sports".

They offered hockey, which I suppose I enjoyed. But the problem with hockey at school was that nobody was really any good, even in the first teams. Most people are just selfish and want to show off their skills or score as many goals as they can themselves, with no sense of working as a team, which makes it very frustrating to play. When we played hockey, it was common to see five or six players from the same team all chasing the same ball at once. You can't really expect a pass from your teammates, you have to go and tackle them if you want the ball. The teachers weren't too good at coaching.

My school was apparently very good at rugby and cricket - although I just don't find them fun. I mainly used to end up doing the minor sports like badminton, squash, Eton fives, and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Loved it. I played in quite a few of the sport teams so knew the teachers really well and got on with them. Always participated in sports day and competed at the district competitions quite a lot.

Only problem was that the school was fairly small so you only had two sets so without wanting to sound like a ****, you had some poor sportsmen in top set. One of the most annoying things was playing football (any sport really) with people that couldn't control or pass a ball. Or just stood around hiding.

There should have been more compulsory PE lessons in a week in my opinion

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.