The Student Room Group

How hard is biomedical science?

How hard is biomedical science??is it harder to get a second class upper in biomed??do we have to work as a mad man?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

It can be tough at times (as with any degree), but you don't have to work like a "mad man" to get a 2.1, there's definitely time to enjoy yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Waterstorm
It can be tough at times (as with any degree), but you don't have to work like a "mad man" to get a 2.1, there's definitely time to enjoy yourself.

Are you a biomed student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asfpr3
Are you a biomed student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, in final year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Whats your plan after graduating in biomed???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are you hoping so to do medicine after graduating?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should be starting this September as long as I get the grades!
Original post by Asfpr3
How hard is biomedical science??is it harder to get a second class upper in biomed??do we have to work as a mad man?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not too bad, I found that a good deal of planning and time management makes things flow very nicely.

Be sure to put alot of effort into your assignments, really takes the pressure off your end of year exams.
Reply 8
Original post by BLineDisaster
It's not too bad, I found that a good deal of planning and time management makes things flow very nicely.

Be sure to put alot of effort into your assignments, really takes the pressure off your end of year exams.

Im thinking of doing biomed and then moving onto medicine,is it a good approach?would it be easy to get a second class upper in biomed to do medicine?:dontknow:
Original post by Asfpr3
Im thinking of doing biomed and then moving onto medicine,is it a good approach?would it be easy to get a second class upper in biomed to do medicine?:dontknow:

I can't really give you an in-depth explanation of going into medicine as a postgraduate, your best bet is to search for existing threads on the subject in the medicine forum, there are lots of them! Here's a link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

You can get a 2:1 in this degree if you put your mind to it, ideally you'd want to aim for a first for medicine, because it is incredibly competitive. You need to show your lecturers/module leaders that you understand the material. In written assignments (lab reports, essays etc) you'll have guidelines and "learning outcomes" stated in your module handbook - follow those and complete the work to a high standard and you'll get the higher grades. It's also essential to ask for feedback, even if you scored a first on assignment X, you should show that you are constantly looking to improve your academic performance.

When it comes to exams (lots of them!) make sure you have understood the material in the course lecture material, and in some areas where appropriate you can look for extra information, which provides lots of extra credit on the exam.

As I said previously, its all about managing your time wisely and making sure you understand everything!
Should be starting this September as long as I get the grades!

What part of Biomedical do you wanna specialize in after Graduation? Are you gonna go to Grad School?
Original post by Type 052D
What part of Biomedical do you wanna specialize in after Graduation? Are you gonna go to Grad School?

I've specilised in physiology in my final year, and as long as I get the grades I'll be starting the standard undergraduate medicine in September.
I've specilised in physiology in my final year, and as long as I get the grades I'll be starting the standard undergraduate medicine in September.

Wow! Congratulation!
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Waterstorm! I accepted an unconditional offer from Westminster for a PG course in Biomed. Which Uni are you studying at? Any info about Westminster´s course?
Original post by Nei
Hi Waterstorm! I accepted an unconditional offer from Westminster for a PG course in Biomed. Which Uni are you studying at? Any info about Westminster´s course?

I've just finished at UCL. I don't know too much about Westminster's course, is it a masters you're doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I've just finished at UCL. I don't know too much about Westminster's course, is it a masters you're doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm considering going to UCL to study biomed... How have you found it?
so far its not easy but not too hard (just finished year 1)

immunology and anatomy are the hardest so far, due to knowing very little about immunology and just a large workload for anatomy

my advice though is if you dont do chemistry you may struggle - im bad a chemistry but my course only required biology which im great at but I was shocked how much chemistry really is involved and felt left behind in that area very quickly

good luck
Original post by rattusratus
so far its not easy but not too hard (just finished year 1)

immunology and anatomy are the hardest so far, due to knowing very little about immunology and just a large workload for anatomy

my advice though is if you dont do chemistry you may struggle - im bad a chemistry but my course only required biology which im great at but I was shocked how much chemistry really is involved and felt left behind in that area very quickly

good luck

Hey! I'm hoping to do Biomedical Science also, just out of interest is there any books that I could read that would give me a little introduction and get me prepared?
(I have Grey's Anatomy)
:smile: Thank you
Original post by BLineDisaster

I've just graduated biomedical sciences and I think this is the most accurate description.

It's hard in the sense that there is a lot of lab work and a lot of exams to do, but it's not such a hard core subject that you literally have zero time to join societies.

So long as you get at least a high 2:1 in your courseworks, and you start revising from seven weeks before your first exams, then you should get a high 2:1 at least

Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Hey! I'm hoping to do Biomedical Science also, just out of interest is there any books that I could read that would give me a little introduction and get me prepared?
(I have Grey's Anatomy)

Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters is a good book to maintain reading.
Also, just to save time, I recommend memorising the names of the bones of the hands, feet and skull.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
(I have Grey's Anatomy)

the uni has a list of books to read but they cost a fortune so I just buy stuff of amazon or use the library to get books liked to what we do at that moment in time

sorry thats not much use

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending