The Student Room Group

Why did I bother going to Uni?!?

I have a 2:1 in History, I find it interesting, but I can do no jobs related to it unless I have MA or even PHD. (Even then there are few jobs). I don't wanna do a PGCE. Then I look at graduate jobs/schemes , but because I only have 260 Ucas points I'm properly f'd in the a. I refuse to work in sales, so this rules out about 4/5 graduate jobs I am eligible for, if not more. I haven't had a job since February (and that was only an xmas job). Then I apply for entry jobs with a degree! In 3 weeks it will be a year since I submitted my dissertation, FML! Would love to hear what people in same/similar boat are doing! I'm now considering an MA/ GDL. I'm also considering giving up looking for graduate jobs and doing the AAT and working in finance, as I know there are plenty of jobs there and the salary is good, especially if I did the ACCA and became an accountant. (I know I can look for grad trainee roles but I'm up against people with accounting/numerate degree).

:angry: :confused::eek:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by md1512
I'm also considering giving up looking for graduate jobs and doing the AAT and working in finance, as I know there are plenty of jobs there and the salary is good, especially if I did the ACCA and became an accountant. (I know I can look for grad trainee roles but I'm up against people with accounting/numerate degree).

You don't need a numerate/business degree to go into accounting. The majority of trainees do not have one.

However, you need to check various UCAS point requirements

I know firms do not accept A level resits, but all of the ones I asked (including two of the big 4) accepted the additional A level I did in my gap year after sixth form.
Reply 2
Original post by md1512
I have a 2:1 in History, I find it interesting, but I can do no jobs related to it unless I have MA or even PHD. (Even then there are few jobs). I don't wanna do a PGCE. Then I look at graduate jobs/schemes , but because I only have 260 Ucas points I'm properly f'd in the a. I refuse to work in sales, so this rules out about 4/5 graduate jobs I am eligible for, if not more. I haven't had a job since February (and that was only an xmas job). Then I apply for entry jobs with a degree! In 3 weeks it will be a year since I submitted my dissertation, FML! Would love to hear what people in same/similar boat are doing! I'm now considering an MA/ GDL. I'm also considering giving up looking for graduate jobs and doing the AAT and working in finance, as I know there are plenty of jobs there and the salary is good, especially if I did the ACCA and became an accountant. (I know I can look for grad trainee roles but I'm up against people with accounting/numerate degree).

You have an upper second degree in history which is an achievement.

If you are willing to do more studying, then you could gain some work experience in a hospital environment, shadow a doctor, and apply to medical school.

Graduate entry is pretty competitive but I hear that medical schools are now accepting applicants with degrees other than STEM degrees.

The other thing you could do is try find a masters course in financial economics and try get into economics or accountancy; I know a friend of a friend who did exactly this.

I got a bad rep for arguing the case that the OP with a history degree could go into other professions???

Now THIS is the epitome of TSR. Rob Da Mop :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by md1512

it's good to search for a job of which your skills will give you confidence to succeed in, but that you are also interested. If you find a certain job of which to aim towards which will provide both financially and interest you, you wouldn't mind as much about the between stages
Reply 4
Original post by arina162
i'm sorry to put it this bluntly - but i could have told you this beforehand... in germany it's a common joke to ask someone who's just finished his history degree if he's got the taxi-driver licence joint with it. :s-smilie:

history is something that's nice and interesting to study but will by no means get you a job unless you want to become a teacher, of course. if that's not what you want and you have to interest in journalism or something alike - just start looking for new opportunities! if you have an interest in finance then go for it :smile:

Complete and utter tosh. The ignorance that some people are in regarding the value or purpose of a history degree never ceases to amaze me.
Reply 5
Original post by craftsman
Complete and utter tosh. The ignorance that some people are in regarding the value or purpose of a history degree never ceases to amaze me.

oh, and how i love the rudeness some people show on here...

i do know of several people with firsts in history who have never found work in their chosen field. i'm not saying that what you're learning while studying it isn't helpful in a later career. but now you want to honestly tell me that nearly everyone with a history degree will get work in a profession related to this? as in closely related? i highly doubt that.
Reply 6
oh, and how i love the rudeness some people show on here...

i do know of several people with firsts in history who have never found work in their chosen field. i'm not saying that what you're learning while studying it isn't helpful in a later career. but now you want to honestly tell me that nearly everyone with a history degree will get work in a profession related to this? as in closely related? i highly doubt that.

If you were to look at the education of those working in, for instance, law firms, you would find a disproportionately high number of history graduates.
Reply 7
If you were to look at the education of those working in, for instance, law firms, you would find a disproportionately high number of history graduates.

yes, just what i'm saying. they benefit from the techniques they learnt while studying history but they don't work 'with' history....

just to say it again: history is not a worthless degree and i never said that! but it's incredibly hard to find a job actually doing what you were studying.
Reply 8
Original post by FatalStrike
Thats why you shouldn't go to University unless you're going to do Medicine or Law.

Lmao.... What about other sciences and such? History isn't bad but just has less direct job links. By your logic more than 90% of people shouldn't be at university... Fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm sorry to put it this bluntly - but i could have told you this beforehand... in germany it's a common joke to ask someone who's just finished his history degree if he's got the taxi-driver licence joint with it. :s-smilie:

history is something that's nice and interesting to study but will by no means get you a job unless you want to become a teacher, of course. if that's not what you want and you have to interest in journalism or something alike - just start looking for new opportunities! if you have an interest in finance then go for it :smile:

Misleading.

The problem is the grades more than the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats why you shouldn't go to University unless you're going to do Medicine or Law.

Haha you just see what all of the unemployed/underemployed law grads make of this statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right about that however, they have to do the GDL which is practically another degree. Which is something no one would do unless they couldnt find work with their current degree.
Original post by Enavor
You have an upper second degree in history which is an achievement.

If you are willing to do more studying, then you could gain some work experience in a hospital environment, shadow a doctor, and apply to medical school.

Graduate entry is pretty competitive but I hear that medical schools are now accepting applicants with degrees other than STEM degrees.

The other thing you could do is try find a masters course in financial economics and try get into economics or accountancy; I know a friend of a friend who did exactly this.

Lol at this epitome of TSR's medicine/IB obsession.
Reply 13
yes, just what i'm saying. they benefit from the techniques they learnt while studying history but they don't work 'with' history....

just to say it again: history is not a worthless degree and i never said that! but it's incredibly hard to find a job actually doing what you were studying.

Hmm, you seem to have twisted your argument somewhat. Your exact words were 'History is nice and interesting to study but it's not going to get you a job unless you plan to become a teacher, of course'

Any interpretation of that statement would suggest that you think history graduates can only ever become teachers.
Reply 14
You're right about that however, they have to do the GDL which is practically another degree. Which is something no one would do unless they couldnt find work with their current degree.

Not true. That presupposes that people don't embark on a history degree with the intention of becoming a lawyer.
Original post by Jkizer
Lmao.... What about other sciences and such? History isn't bad but just has less direct job links. By your logic more than 90% of people shouldn't be at university... Fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is, most people probably should'nt go to University. How many people go to University just because their friends are going? Or for a chance to move out? Or just for the student loan.. Trust me, loads of people go to University for all the wrong reasons and end up unemployed and in a load of debt.
You're right about that however, they have to do the GDL which is practically another degree. Which is something no one would do unless they couldn't find work with their current degree.

Because no one has to do other qualifications once they start a job in finance, insurance, accounting etc etc? I appreciate the GDL is slightly different, but it doesn't really matter. They do they GDL because they need the basic legal knowledge, not because doing a history degree does not prepare you to think logically and laterally at the same time, and to construct a well-reasoned argument.

Reckon I'd have been a lot happier at Uni if I'd done history or sociology, instead of law. Though, in the end, I just found my way to the legal history and socio-legal modules.
Reply 17
The thing is, most people probably should'nt go to University. How many people go to University just because their friends are going? Or for a chance to move out? Or just for the student loan.. Trust me, loads of people go to University for all the wrong reasons and end up unemployed and in a load of debt.

Well I think Labour(?) created the whole mass of polytechnics to university which although some are now great institutes in some fields, I agree that there are some courses which just should be for college and not worth the £9k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not true. That presupposes that people don't embark on a history degree with the intention of becoming a lawyer.

I'm pretty sure most people don't decide to do a History degree with the intention of getting sponsored by a law firm to enter the legal profession.
Reply 19
I'm pretty sure most people don't decide to do a History degree with the intention of getting sponsored by a law firm to enter the legal profession.

'Most', no. A decent proportion? Sure.

Quick Reply