The Student Room Group

M3 edexcel help please!!!

I find SHM really hard and here are some questions from the text book that I really don't understand. Hope you can help me thanks! question1) A particle of mass 0.4 kg is attached to one end of a light elastic string of modulus of elasticity 24N and natural length 1.2m. The other end of the string is fixed to a point A on a smooth horizontal table . Initially P is at rest with AP at 1.0m. the particle receives an impulse of 1.8Ns in the AP direction. a) show that while the string in still taut the particle moves with SHM. b) calculate the time elapsed between p receives impulse and when string becomes slack. c) find the distance AB where the particle comes to rest at B.
Original post by lanki_bones

Untitled.gif

Remember the formula for tension (hookes law) and remember that with string, there is only tension when the string is taught (when the distance of the particle to the wall is 1.2m), you can work out the maximum velocity with the impulse.

The diagram is hopefully helpful :smile:
Reply 2
so im=m(v-u) as intial velocity is zero the max velocity will be 1.8/m ? because it starts off in equlibrium
so for part b) i would use v=acos (wt) where a= 0.2 and solve for t using vmax from impulse?

Quick Reply

Latest