L...
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I chose RMPS in one of the columns but I'm contemplating doing Higher Classics instead.
I know RMPS would be easier, but I think classics would look better on my CV. Is it pretty hard? I'm currently doing SG History, is it treated quite similarly to History/English? I am also currently doing Modern Studies so if there was a lot of writing I think I would cope alright(Modies has 10 and 8 mark questions). What do you think I should take?
StupidMaths
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L...)
I chose RMPS in one of the columns but I'm contemplating doing Higher Classics instead.
I know RMPS would be easier, but I think classics would look better on my CV. Is it pretty hard? I'm currently doing SG History, is it treated quite similarly to History/English? I am also currently doing Modern Studies so if there was a lot of writing I think I would cope alright(Modies has 10 and 8 mark questions). What do you think I should take?

It's not treated similarly to History/English in the sense that they are basic subjects (basic in terms of very recognisable) and classics is not. RMPS, as a higher, covers a lot of pressing current issues whereas classics is the study of Ancient Greece etc. Definitely take RMPS. Classics is one of those subjects that could go either way in terms of grades.
Bromaldehyde
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in S4 but everyone at my school in Fifth Year says it's the best subject ever and you're almost guaranteed an A.
StupidMaths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bromaldehyde)
I'm in S4 but everyone at my school in Fifth Year says it's the best subject ever and you're almost guaranteed an A.

Over 25% of people who sat Classics last year,nationwide, failed it with a grade D or a No Award.
Bromaldehyde
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fair enough, I'm just repeating what Fifth years have told me.
ladymarshmallow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Our careers teacher claimed it was an easy A.
StupidMaths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ladymarshmallow)
Our careers teacher claimed it was an easy A.
I think it depends on your school.
ChrissyH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Considering possibly self teaching it (merely hypothetical at this stage), but what would I need in terms of resources etc.
georgia.17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I sat it last year and was guaranteed an A and only achieved a C (was appealed to a B). Classical studies is not an easy A especially due to the nature of the marker. I'm sitting advanced this year and many universities because not many schools in scotland do teach the subject found it impressive and asked a lot about the subject and what we learned. I would recommend it, it's an enjoyable course and if you enjoy essay writing and studying plays and ancient societies then it is for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
mellitus94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I sat it last year and it was excellent (we also had an amazing teacher) but don't believe what everyone says about it being a guaranteed A. It's a fair bit of work and if you have a lot of trouble with essays then you'll most likely find this a tricky subject. A lot of my classmates found that out the hard way :/

But it is really interesting and if you're prepared to revise a lot of different information including memorising lots of Latin and Greek words then it's well worth it!
PinkDiamond
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did it this year, as long as you find it interesting, learning about the ancient world then i think it's pretty interesting. Make sure you learn it as you go because there is a lot of material!
annepeart1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I''m really struggling with the assignment does anyone have any advice or tips ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.8%
Disagree (10)
6.54%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.68%
Agree (58)
37.91%
Strongly Agree (20)
13.07%

Watched Threads