The Student Room Group

To all those taking 4 HLs or considering it

Yeah...don't do it.

I have my exams in 2 days and I'm doing 4 HLs. I received the same offers as the peers who got into the same unis as me, and its slightly harder for me to meet those offers. I sincerely regret doing it. At the beginning I thought I would "challenge myself" and show universities how smart I was...but I regret it all. My offer is 43 points, which is similar to other students holding offers at the same uni, so the university that accepted me clearly didn't extend a courtesy by giving me an easier offer, considering my academic load.

Yeah so I'll go back to revising...heed my warning...if you are thinking about it, DONT. If you currently are taking 4 HLs and are in IB1, you have time to drop it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lifeisgood.
Yeah...don't do it.

I have my exams in 2 days and I'm doing 4 HLs. I received the same offers as the peers who got into the same unis as me, and its slightly harder for me to meet those offers. I sincerely regret doing it. At the beginning I thought I would "challenge myself" and show universities how smart I was...but I regret it all. My offer is 43 points, which is similar to other students holding offers at the same uni, so the university that accepted me clearly didn't extend a courtesy by giving me an easier offer, considering my academic load.

Yeah so I'll go back to revising...heed my warning...if you are thinking about it, DONT. If you currently are taking 4 HLs and are in IB1, you have time to drop it.

I'm in a similar position as you...4 HL are very difficult but in my case the uni I wanted offered me a place with no extreme conditions in those subjects!
Reply 2
I also concur. I was originally doing 3 but picked up CHEMISTRY?! as a HL because it fit in my timetable and I thought I could manage it... big mistake! Also wish I'd chosen the easier options e.g Maths Studies instead of Standard...

Too late now! Almost done... almost done!
My mother and I have made a deal, if I finish 15 studio works in my vacations (which are 2 months long) along with most of my extended essay, I'll take on Visual Arts as my 4th HL and my 7th subject. I wouldn't have to give a paper for Visual Arts, just have the final exhibition.

My other subjects are: HL: English, Economics, Business
SL: Environmental Societies, Hindi, and Math Studies.

I'm going into Communications and fashion design, which is why Visual Arts may come in handy (my Visual Arts theme is fashion-related), along with the portfolio I am completing on my forecasts for fashion season spring-summer 2014.
Reply 4
Hey!

I'm sure the stress must be horrible for you, OP, but 4 HLs really aren't that bad if you picked your subjects wisely.

I chose History, Economics, English and Maths HL with French Ab Initio and Biology SL and I'm doing Theatre and Dance HL as extra certificate courses outside my Diploma. While initially the workload was almost debilitating, I've come to organise myself in a way I never even knew I was like capable of.

Sure, it's hard sometimes, but with consistent practice, nothing's impossible. :smile:

Best of luck to you!
Reply 5
Personally, I actually think it's a good idea to start with 4 HL subjects. Especially if you come from a schooling system very different to the IB, such as in the UK, it can be hard to predict which subjects you're going to be strong in at this level. It helped me to take 4 HLs (English, History, Anthropology and Biology), and then eventually drop one (in my case, Biology). It was my best subject at GCSE, but I just didn't cut it at IB HL. So I'd say especially for the first year it can actually be a good plan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending