The Student Room Group

Aberdeen or St Andrews?

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in choosing a university. It's currently between doing European Studies at Aberdeen (choosing French and Spanish as my languages) and French and Spanish at St Andrews.

I have unconditionals for both universities and have visited both. I really love Aberdeen and felt at home there at the Applicant Day in February. I personally prefer the course there, too.

However, my family - my dad in particular - really want me to go to St Andrews. I see their reasoning in that it does have prestige and international reputation - although from my research and from what I've been told by teachers so does Aberdeen. My boyfriend is currently at Aberdeen, too, although I was very interested in going there before we even met.

My dad has said he won't help me out financially if I go to St Andrews, so that's a worry too.

My main worry is that I'll let my family down if I don't go to St Andrews, particularly as they've given up a lot to send me to private school. I also worry that people will only think I want to go to Aberdeen because of my boyfriend.

Sorry for the super long post! Any advice is appreciated, especially since my deadline for replying is May 8th!
Reply 1
It's your life, not that of your family. They are making a huge mistake in trying to make you choose the university they want over the one you want.

Yes, St. Andrews is more prestigious, but Aberdeen isn't unprestigious either. You prefer the city, you prefer the course, the university is reputable and your boyfriend is there - what on earth do you want more? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Fox
It's your life, not that of your family. They are making a huge mistake in trying to make you choose the university they want over the one you want.

Yes, St. Andrews is more prestigious, but Aberdeen isn't unprestigious either. You prefer the city, you prefer the course, the university is reputable and your boyfriend is there - what on earth do you want more? :biggrin:

Thank you, I think I'm just worried that they will be disappointed in me... The money thing with my dad is also an issue, but I suppose I'll get past that :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by shaumomo
Thank you, I think I'm just worried that they will be disappointed in me... The money thing with my dad is also an issue, but I suppose I'll get past that :smile:

Families usually want the best for their children, that includes the best possible education. They may suspect that you merely chose Aberdeen for the sake of your boyfriend and are unsure whether this is wise as they may doubt whether your relationship lasts and is more important than your studies.

You should talk to them and make clear that your prefer Aberdeen not for your boyfriend alone but for the course and the city as well. And in the end you will be happy at a place that still offers you a great education, your parents should be glad about that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sir Fox
Families usually want the best for their children, that includes the best possible education. They may suspect that you merely chose Aberdeen for the sake of your boyfriend and are unsure whether this is wise as they may doubt whether your relationship lasts and is more important than your studies.

You should talk to them and make clear that your prefer Aberdeen not for your boyfriend alone but for the course and the city as well. And in the end you will be happy at a place that still offers you a great education, your parents should be glad about that :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest